or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Brown Shoes - Black Polish???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brown Shoes - Black Polish???

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
I just recently used black polish on these brown shoes and I like the fake patina it gives them. Is that something I should do everytime I polish my shoes or how often?

post #2 of 31
You can do it as often as you want. I also highly suggest blue polish on occasion. If it ever starts looking bad to you, a light brown or medium brown polish and some scrubbing will take most of it off.
post #3 of 31
Nice. I'd be sure to push the lacing flaps aside to make sure you cover the tongue evenly. Otherwise, you get that sort of unnatural 'tan line' effect near the front of the flaps.
post #4 of 31
I routinely polish almost all of my brown shoes with either black or cordovan polish. When the shoes are dark enough for my tastes, I'll switch to brown polish.

I would caution you against trying this with shoes made of cheap leather. I polished a pair of brown Gucci bit loafers using black polish and when I look at them closely, I can see broad swaths of black. With good leather, the black polish settles into the micro-fissures that define the grain and simply makes the color a deeper brown.

j, what is the advantage of using blue? I've seen it recommended here for black shoes, too, but haven't tried it yet.
post #5 of 31
I have a painter's palette of polish colors I use on brown, depending on the shade and intent...black, red, navy, cordovan, and of course, brown. I'm really into polishing red into brown shoes to give them a nice healthy 'glow', almost like an underpainting.
post #6 of 31
I use black every now and then. It can create a nice effect.
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman
I routinely polish almost all of my brown shoes with either black or cordovan polish. When the shoes are dark enough for my tastes, I'll switch to brown polish.

I would caution you against trying this with shoes made of cheap leather. I polished a pair of brown Gucci bit loafers using black polish and when I look at them closely, I can see broad swaths of black. With good leather, the black polish settles into the micro-fissures that define the grain and simply makes the color a deeper brown.

j, what is the advantage of using blue? I've seen it recommended here for black shoes, too, but haven't tried it yet.
Blue on brown just creates a really nice effect IMO. It adds a coolness to the color that creates a nice contrast. It's a pretty subtle effect though. Try it, you'll like it!
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I have a painter's palette of polish colors I use on brown, depending on the shade and intent...black, red, navy, cordovan, and of course, brown. I'm really into polishing red into brown shoes to give them a nice healthy 'glow', almost like an underpainting.

This "glow" is what I'm aiming for with the cordovan. I have a pair of mahogany chelsea boots that got an initial treatment of red shoe cream, followed by a steady diet of cordovan polish and they're coming along nicely.

j, I will try the blue polish after I locate a local supplier.
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack
I just recently used black polish on these brown shoes and I like the fake patina it gives them. Is that something I should do everytime I polish my shoes or how often?

@Haystack,

What kind of shoes are those? They look great how you polished them.
post #10 of 31
I sometimes use black on brown shoes. It's a nice effect. Related question: what polish do I use to get rid of a reddish tint in the brown? Intuitively I'd say green, but I haven't been able to try yet (don't have green polish). Should I try to find some? Anyone with experience?
post #11 of 31
Thread Starter 
Facconable shoes...made in the USA by someone. Anyone know who makes their shoes?
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack
Facconable shoes...made in the USA by someone. Anyone know who makes their shoes?
Thank you!
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy
Thank you!

WatchGuy - way OT but is it Kevin's picture of the BigP in your avatar? the lighting and angle remind me of one of his beautiful wallpaper quality scans...
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203
WatchGuy - way OT but is it Kevin's picture of the BigP in your avatar? the lighting and angle remind me of one of his beautiful wallpaper quality scans...

I don't know if his name is Kevin, but he goes by Panerissimi on TimeZone. He posted the wallpaper there with the intention to 'spread the love'. I hope he doesn't mind me using it as an avatar.

He is very talented. I wish I could photo my BP that well.
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack
Facconable shoes...made in the USA by someone. Anyone know who makes their shoes?
JLibourel mentioned a while back that his Facconable chukkas were made by Alden. Maybe all of the USA-made models are Aldens?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Brown Shoes - Black Polish???