or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Hybrid Pant
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hybrid Pant

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Is the denim thing ever going to die down? I want to wear something other than denim but don't want to put on trousers. Any ideas? Kind of the holy grail but someone must have clues
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic44
Is the denim thing ever going to die down? I want to wear something other than denim but don't want to put on trousers. Any ideas? Kind of the holy grail but someone must have clues

Cords, moleskins, velvet, or cotton/canvas cut in a jean-style rather than a trouser-style should all fit the bill.

The cut is what matters most, then you won't feel as if you're putting on a pair of trousers.
post #3 of 11
Vintage Levi's cords are great. I love how they wear in. Ummm... what are hybrid pants? Like zip-off legs?
post #4 of 11
i just got a pair of vintage work pants that i will be wearing as soon as it gets cold again. very heavy carhart type canvas material, button fly, single back pocket, suspender buttons insted of belt loops, back cinch, high "v" back, no branding. im gonna try to get some pics, as this description doesnt do them justice.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Cheapmutha has got what I mean, by hybrid I mean the comfort of a jean but not looking like denim but not a formal style. The weight of the fabric is pretty key. Just found a pair of pants that are a super heavy twill but washed down cut like an Italian chino, loose in the leg but with a slim front panel so doesn't look baggy but then with trouser pockets. Hard to explain but when I get them will post a pic
post #6 of 11
at work, i can't wear my jeans, so i have to make do with chinos.

uniqlo actually makes an awesome chino. the fabric they use is nice and heavy. it's cut like a pair of jeans and it ages very well over time. at $19 you can't go wrong. they come slightly worn-in so they are very comfortable. comes in black, white, khaki and brown.

i'm wondering if a good pair of chinos can distress like a pair of jeans, with whiskering and honeycombs. maybe with some starch?
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizanation
at work, i can't wear my jeans, so i have to make do with chinos.

uniqlo actually makes an awesome chino. the fabric they use is nice and heavy. it's cut like a pair of jeans and it ages very well over time. at $19 you can't go wrong. they come slightly worn-in so they are very comfortable. comes in black, white, khaki and brown.

i'm wondering if a good pair of chinos can distress like a pair of jeans, with whiskering and honeycombs. maybe with some starch?
Not really, the way jeans distress is due to the characteristics of the indigo dye used. To my knowledge there is no other (common) process that will break off the fibers in the same way. Though I guess you could simulate it with some starch and then dilute bleach or something.
post #8 of 11
the pants im talking about in my post above actually have whiskers. no honeycombs tho. and they are not indigo, more like the tan color carhart uses on thier canvas duck clothes
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizanation
at work, i can't wear my jeans, so i have to make do with chinos.

uniqlo actually makes an awesome chino. the fabric they use is nice and heavy. it's cut like a pair of jeans and it ages very well over time. at $19 you can't go wrong. they come slightly worn-in so they are very comfortable. comes in black, white, khaki and brown.

i'm wondering if a good pair of chinos can distress like a pair of jeans, with whiskering and honeycombs. maybe with some starch?

Chino's won't distress like jeans due to the fact, most of them will have been piece dyed with reactive dyestuffs - I won't get into it in the space of a post, but it just won't rub off like indigo.

Garment dyeing lends to vintage effects more than piece dyeing.

Pigment dye or direct dyeing will give you vintage washing effects, when combined with brushing, sanding, stonewash, enzymes etc, including whiskers and honeycombs. But the effects will be a lot less evident than with indigo.
post #10 of 11
I've seen some cords with washes and distressing made to look like jeans. Some of them are not bad but there's really nothing like the look and feel of denim when it comes to ageing.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlin report
I've seen some cords with washes and distressing made to look like jeans. Some of them are not bad but there's really nothing like the look and feel of denim when it comes to ageing.
It's true that cords won't age like denim, and the washes applied to make distressed cords can't approximate the sophistication of the better washes applied to jeans. Nevertheless, the relative rarity of distressed cords sets them apart. Here's some pics of the pair I've been wearing:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Hybrid Pant