or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why is Moncler so expensive?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why is Moncler so expensive? - Page 2

post #16 of 29
Like who?? im looking to buy a good winter jacket..... style and functionality.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugsu View Post
+1 there are many other makers with far superior products in terms of function and durability with a lower price point. However, I do kind of like their idea of combining a wool outer with down. that said, their pricing is ridiculous and it is marketing: produce something that the beautiful people will wear and they will pay whatever price you want them to.
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Guido View Post
They are less function than form..

Warm they are, but not water or shower proof..

Those bubbly, shiny ones are very much waterproof. Snowproof, too. I use mine almost as a skiing jacket. Some of the bubbly jackets aren't as ridiculous and couture-looking as the others; the trick is finding a restrained one that doesn't puff out as much and make you look like the Michelin Man.
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard View Post
"That's what they think people will pay for it" is the correct answer, so I'm not sure why you don't want to hear it. If the market will bear that price, they can get away with charging it, and so they do. This is basic economics. It sounds cheesy and it sounds like a cop-out answer, but it's the honest answer. Demand for those bubbly, shiny jackets at $900+ is apparently keeping up with supply, if not outpacing it.

But you're missing the reason behind the OPs question - is there another reason: quality, exotic materials/capabilities, rareness of materials/workmanship, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard View Post
If people weren't willing to shell out thousands of dollars for Moncler's items, Moncler would lower the price.
If the jacket incorporates super-exclusive-ultra-rare-whatever that forces the price to be $900, then Moncler's couldn't lower the price even if people weren't willing to shell out thousand's of dollars for said materials.

Which is what I think the OP was originally interested in understanding...
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorarmylt View Post
Like who?? im looking to buy a good winter jacket..... style and functionality.....

Well, do you want style first and then function second? In terms of a down filled jacket, what are you looking for?
post #20 of 29
Phat Guido,

it's silly, frankly laughable, to make a blanket statement that Moncler is form over function. there are many different lines and some of their coats constitute seriously functional cold weather gear.

as far as I can tell, the sole purpose of my model, for example, is "inpenetrable" warmth. For such a "functional" coat, it doesn't look bad either, which was a key reason I bought it.

If I had to spend a long time in the cold and could only pick one coat from my closet to take with me, my Moncler would be it. I don't even consider wearing it if the temperature is above freezing. the jacket is too warm for that. In Chicago, sadly, that still presents plenty of opportunities.

and others, to say the value isn't there is, in my opinion, highly debatable. at full retail, I don't know. but it's easy to find these heavily discounted. I paid less than $400 for mine. At the time I bought it I visited several "outdoor" type shops and was looking at various Patagonia and Northface type models. The Moncler won on price-to-quality, form and functionality.

I don't ski in it nor would I use it for other outdoor sports (too warm and doesn't breathe), and I don't wear it to work (not dressy enough). I wear it when it is butt-ass cold and I don't want to feel it.

just my two cents
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by withstyle View Post
Phat Guido,

it's silly, frankly laughable, to make a blanket statement that Moncler is form over function. there are many different lines and some of their coats constitute seriously functional cold weather gear.

as far as I can tell, the sole purpose of my model, for example, is "inpenetrable" warmth. For such a "functional" coat, it doesn't look bad either, which was a key reason I bought it.

If I had to spend a long time in the cold and could only pick one coat from my closet to take with me, my Moncler would be it. I don't even consider wearing it if the temperature is above freezing. the jacket is too warm for that. In Chicago, sadly, that still presents plenty of opportunities.

and others, to say the value isn't there is, in my opinion, highly debatable. at full retail, I don't know. but it's easy to find these heavily discounted. I paid less than $400 for mine. At the time I bought it I visited several "outdoor" type shops and was looking at various Patagonia and Northface type models. The Moncler won on price-to-quality, form and functionality.

I don't ski in it nor would I use it for other outdoor sports (too warm and doesn't breathe), and I don't wear it to work (not dressy enough). I wear it when it is butt-ass cold and I don't want to feel it.

just my two cents

Maybe at discount Moncler becomes a consideration. However, there are other manufacturers that make better quality. Style is left to the eye of the beholder. But certainly before I considered Moncler I would (and have) purchased, used and abused Feathered Friends, RAB, PhD, & Mountain Hardwear.
post #22 of 29
Is Moncler all made in Europe or are some of them made in China? Also, as an aside (and not to completely thread jack), I've seen a number of grey wool bransons on sale on ebay and other sites, its not a model in the 09 season (the 09 branson only seems to come in red), but is it something from last year? Does anyone know? Help would be greatly appreciated!
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by razl View Post
But you're missing the reason behind the OPs question - is there another reason: quality, exotic materials/capabilities, rareness of materials/workmanship, etc.


If the jacket incorporates super-exclusive-ultra-rare-whatever that forces the price to be $900, then Moncler's couldn't lower the price even if people weren't willing to shell out thousand's of dollars for said materials.

Which is what I think the OP was originally interested in understanding...

No, you're missing my point. Moncler jackets don't include any materials or workmanship exotic or expensive enough to make the $900+ price tag justified based on production costs alone. The price includes a very hefty premium for the brand name. If Moncler were selling its jackets at or just above cost, they'd be a lot less expensive than they are.

I'm not saying the materials aren't good, or that the workmanship isn't good, because they are and it is. But the price tag reflects a fairly significant margin for branding. So do most designer clothes, for that matter.
post #24 of 29
This is a damn fine jacket:
post #25 of 29
This is an old thread but... I have seen drametic discounts on moncler in different sites, like 70% , if you make a serch its easy to find, is ths normal with Moncler, its a fake?


cheers
post #26 of 29
Most of these sites are for counterfeit Moncler products.
post #27 of 29

The best way to check authenticity is ask the seller for the Certilogo code

post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime View Post

The best way to check authenticity is ask the seller for the Certilogo code
+100000
post #29 of 29

there are plenty of pages that accurately describe ways to spot a fake moncler. make sure you can see as many pictures as possible!

if you're looking for cheaper versions of moncler, i have a wonderful duvetica jacket that is very similar and (in my belief) better in construction.

unlike moncler, they do go on sale, and they are just as slim and warm. worth looking into 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why is Moncler so expensive?