or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Guys, some advice please!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Guys, some advice please!

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I recently bought a black cashmere cardigan sweater. I'm looking for suggestions on what color shirt I should wear with it. I'm younger, still in college so I plan on wearing the cardigan with a pair of jeans and a well tailored shirt that will be worn untucked. Just to note that I plan on having all my future shirts custom made for me in Vancouver, BC so they will fit very well I'm sure.

I'm unsure of what colors I should wear with a black cardigan. I have fairly dark skin naturally if that helps.
post #2 of 15
Do the right thing and tuck your shirt in. Untucking was the thing to do a couple of years ago. Seriously. Tuck the shirt in, college or not.
post #3 of 15
I really think it's not necessary with jeans...
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovan
I really think it's not necessary with jeans...

But with a cardigan? Seems like an odd combo to me. Like Ward Cleaver on a bender.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
I would definately tuck the shirt in with any other pants besides jeans. Tucked shirts with jeans just look odd to me especially for someone my age.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
I would definately tuck the shirt in with any other pants besides jeans. Tucked shirts with jeans just look odd to me especially for someone my age.

But with a cardigan? Would you wear the cardigan unbuttoned?
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
I've worn it both buttoned and unbuttoned. It's honestly kind of a hipster look I guess. I have weird looking hair, glasses and gauged ears so I can get away with more. The cardigan is pretty simple as well; just straight black.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
I've worn it both buttoned and unbuttoned. It's honestly kind of a hipster look I guess. I have weird looking hair, glasses and gauged ears so I can get away with more. The cardigan is pretty simple as well; just straight black.

Ahh, now that helps. Context is everything. I'm still having a hard time integrating the black cardigan in my mind -- I think I'd reach for a moth-eaten skinny-fit sweater in brown, green or light blue first -- but I have a better understanding of where you're going with this. What about a well-faded shirt in yellow? That or white would probably be my choice, just because the contrast with black is so stark.

You might get responses more in tune with what you're looking for over in the streetwear forum.
post #9 of 15
Tuck with the cardigan, especially if the shirttails are longer than it.
post #10 of 15
Cardigans are somewhat de rigeur at the moment, I gather. Tuck in that shirt, and definately avoid tshirts if you don't want to look like a poser. Slim grey trousers work well. Prince of Wales Check or stripes, if you're feeling adventurous.
post #11 of 15
Tuck it man. Untucked under a sweater is a very feminine look.
post #12 of 15
I think that light colors would work best with your complextion. Try white, light blue, lavender, pink. Almost any color will work with black because it is a neutral.
I agree with all, do not wear your shirt tails out, especially with a cardigan on. There are shirts that are made to be worn outside of the trouser which would have finished bottom.

Best Regards,

Gary
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drink8648
I think that light colors would work best with your complextion. Try white, light blue, lavender, pink. Almost any color will work with black because it is a neutral.
I agree with all, do not wear your shirt tails out, especially with a cardigan on. There are shirts that are made to be worn outside of the trouser which would have finished bottom.

Best Regards,

Gary

I'll second blue (french), white, lavender. In that order. (IMO)
post #14 of 15
White, white, white.
post #15 of 15
With regards to the untucking of the shirt, I think you can get away with it if: 1. Your overall looks doesn't appear too contrived, and 2. It's not a dressier type shirt. If you have a button up, say a cowboy style shirt from Diesel, then I say go ahead and leave it untucked. If you're going for hipster, that's cool, but don't be wearing some non-iron shirt from Brooks Brothers or Van Heusen (god forbid) is all i'm saying.

To actually answer your question, I second suggestions of purple/lavender, pink, even something light orange or light green/lime, light blue. Those would work for good contrast. Otherwise, white is a good, classic color. And this can either be solid or patterned (whether it be stripes, checked, etc.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Guys, some advice please!