or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The furniture we'll keep when we move
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The furniture we'll keep when we move - Page 2

post #16 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Is that a Maarten Baas mirror?

Yes, it is a Maarten Baas mirror.

Yes, I like Kjaerholm a lot, but his furniture is not as playful as the stuff that appeals most to me. From that time period, I definitely prefer Eames, Jacobsen, Nelson, Saarinen and Bertoia.
post #17 of 66
I have a penchant for heavily ornate Baroque furniture mixed with minimalism and a general mayhem of aestheticism.
post #18 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have a penchant for heavily ornate Baroque furniture mixed
with minimalism and a general mayhem of aestheticism.


Are you familiar with Hella Jongerius and Jurgen Bey? You might like their work. Of course Marcel Wanders is very interesting as well, if not slightly commercialized at this point.
post #19 of 66
I rather like Bey and Wanders isn't too bad. Also some of Starck's designs for Baccarat are nice. Helena Rubinstein's interior decor was great:
post #20 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I rather like Bey and Wanders isn't too bad. Also some of Starck's designs for Baccarat are nice.

Helena Rubinstein's interior decor was great:



Bey's catwalk for Gaultier was amazing.

I visited Wander's studio this summer. I think that you might have enjoyed it. It was filled with literally hundreds of half finished projects, various industrial items that had been reworked and all sorts of random cool junk. A recent project was dipping stuffed animals in porcelain and firing them until the inside animal disappeared. We have one and it is a trip. Sort of like the ghost of a teddy bear.
post #21 of 66
Andree Putman is another designer I rather like.

Do you have a picture of this "toy?"
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Andree Putman is another designer I rather like.

Do you have a picture of this "toy?"

She always reminds me of Sylvie Maugham and her white room. Very nice, but a touch too polished for me.

Here is the "toy". The eyes are a bit haunting
post #23 of 66
The aspect that I really like about Putman is her adherence to the diktat: God is in the details.

That "toy" is very enticing in its visceral former cuteness. It's almost grotesque and would look stunning against some highly polished black lacquer table, maybe a Rococo one.
post #24 of 66
Another great Wanders piece is the Snotty Vase. He did 3D models of different sorts of sneezes. The one we have is Sinusitis:
post #25 of 66
The name is literally tongue-in-cheek. Or should that be tongue-in-chic?
post #26 of 66
Labelking,

Where have you seen ornate Baroque design juxtaposed with minimalism? Is that even possible?
post #27 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
Labelking, Where have you seen ornate Baroque design juxtaposed with minimalism? Is that even possible?
It is more typical in Italy than anyhere else that I have seen. Typically you see a lot of very modern furniture in homes with classical architecture. THe Driade showroom in Milan is a great example. Here is one final picture: Marc Newson Felt chair next to a white lacquer sideboard and another mangled stuffed animal. This time it is dipped in Tool-Dip:
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
It is more typical in Italy than anyhere else that I have seen. Typically you see a lot of very modern furniture in homes with classical architecture. THe Driade showroom in Milan is a great example.

Here is one final picture:

Marc Newson Felt chair next to a white lacquer sideboard and another mangled stuffed animal. This time it is dipped in Tool-Dip:

I can conceive of that possibility, but that would only be ornate crown moldings and such. Baroque furniture is obscenely expensive and difficult to find. However, I could see something like a Barcelona chair fitting in.
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
I can conceive of that possibility, but that would only be ornate crown moldings and such. Baroque furniture is obscenely expensive and difficult to find. However, I could see something like a Barcelona chair fitting in.

I really like Barcelona Chairs. I like Eames lounges and Egg chairs better. All three are really at the point where they are "period" designs. The best looking modern furniture that I have seen in a traditional environment have been various Ron Arad one-off pieces. I was at a Palazzo outside of Torino this summer and it was filled with Ron Arad furniture. It looked amazing, but there was nowhere that was comfortable to sit.
post #30 of 66
Thread Starter 
I like the mix of periods. I like some aspects of the Empire Style. i think it would look great against a minimal setting.
But again, the real deal is out of my price bracket.

Don't kmow if any of you have ever seen pictures of the studio /home of Julian Schnabel, but there is a nice mix of
antiques and just raw industrial space.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The furniture we'll keep when we move