or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The furniture we'll keep when we move
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The furniture we'll keep when we move

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
Since I also work with interior and furniture history, I'd be interested in knowing some favorite items of furniture or design owned, collected or used by the members.
Could be aesthetic, investment, sentimental or just plain functional..

(my apologies if this is a repeat topic.)

I have two leather club chairs in the style of Jean Michael Frank, in the Art Deco vein.

A new brown velvet chesterfield style sofa.

A Mies van der Rohe Barcelona chair (knock -off)

A couple of Eames LCW's
post #2 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Since I also work with interior and furniture history, I'd be interested in knowing some favorite items of furniture or design owned, collected or used by the members.
Could be aesthetic, investment, sentimental or just plain functional..

(my apologies if this is a repeat topic.)

I have two leather club chairs in the style of Jean Michael Frank, in the Art Deco vein.

A new brown velvet chesterfield style sofa.

A Mies van der Rohe Barcelona chair (knock -off)

A couple of Eames LCW's

Are the Barcelona chair knockoffs of good quality? I don't feel like playing $3000 for a Knoll. Do these sites that are everywhere with good looking furniture at good prices have items of good quality?

I'm mainly interested in aesthetically pleasing and comfortable options. MvdR, Eames, and some other early modernist concepts really appeal to me. What can you suggest without paying outrageous prices?

PS. Is there such a thing as a Madrid chair?
post #3 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
Are the Barcelona chair knockoffs of good quality? I don't feel like playing $3000 for a Knoll. Do these sites that are everywhere with good looking furniture at good prices have items of good quality?

I'm mainly interested in aesthetically pleasing and comfortable options. MvdR, Eames, and some other early modernist concepts really appeal to me. What can you suggest without paying outrageous prices?

PS. Is there such a thing as a Madrid chair?

I'm not familiar with the Madrid. The knock offs are great. Purists will always disagree, but we have these in an public setting, I've seen people crawl all over them and they hold up. i got mine for around $1500. They came from Italy and I'd have to check for the manufacturer.

I own a couple of Eames, and though he is a giant of Modern design, they are the least used chairs in the house, mainly because you sit lower than most furniture, so i think people feel uncomfortable.

The Barcelona chair is great, but not the best option if you are going to watch a 3 hour movie in it. Also,if you get one, get the ottoman. I.m forever pulling something over to prop my feet on.
post #4 of 66
Would this be the place: http://www.steelform.com/ ? It's the first thing that I found.

Regarding other furniture that holds its value, there are usually whole bunch of interesting things over at goantiques.com. Here's a sweet bed: http://www.goantiques.com/detail,ant...en,766218.html
post #5 of 66
Cappellini/Schwan Irkel Bookshelf 2 Jacobsen Egg chairs Cappellini/Newson Felt Chair Cappellini/Wanders Knotted Chair Vintage Vernor Panton Bar Boy Ingo Maurer Holonzki 2 Castiglioni Mezzadro Stools Maarten Baas Smoke Mirror
post #6 of 66
Thread Starter 
hhmm,I'm wondering if we should get pictures in here.
I'd like to see this stuff in context
post #7 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
hhmm,I'm wondering if we should get pictures in here.
I'd like to see this stuff in context


Let me know which you would like pics of.

I also want to add to my list a Patrick Norguet for Cappellini Rive Droite Chair in Pink and Grey Pucci fabric.
post #8 of 66
For function and aesthetics...

Gus Stickley Eastwood chair and footstool
Gus Stickley fall front desk
L&JG Stickley octagonal tabouret
Roycroft "Little Journey's" bookstand
post #9 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
Let me know which you would like pics of.

I also want to add to my list a Patrick Norguet for Cappellini Rive Droite Chair in Pink and Grey Pucci fabric.

The egg chairs, but I'm not particular. It's just that when people post photos of their clothes so we only get these tiny marginal shots of their interiors. Its funny to see a high end suit and then a wad of dirty clothes lurking in the background.
post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
The egg chairs, but I'm not particular. It's just that when people post photos of their clothes so we only get these tiny marginal shots of their interiors. Its funny to see a high end suit and then a wad of dirty clothes lurking in the background.


Here are four pics without any wads of dirty clothes. I hope that you like them.

1) 2 Egg Chairs in front of Irkel Bookcase with Panton Cone Table

2) Knotted Chair with Shade Shade lamp. In background are 2 Tom Dixon Bird chairs and a vintage Angelo Mangiarotti vase

3) Rive Gauche/Pucci chair with sofa and coffee table

4) 2 Jasper Morrison Low Pad chairs with a Cappellini Ruhs Panca and an original Ingo Maurer Bulb.
post #11 of 66
Thread Starter 
Very very nice. What a wonderful place to call home!
The Pucci chair works. I like the clean open feel, lets the furniture work. Not many pictures on the wall, gonna stay that way? Where are you located, if I may ask?
post #12 of 66
Really nice place matt, it's a bit sparse for me but I like it a lot.
post #13 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Very very nice. What a wonderful place to call home!
The Pucci chair works. I like the clean open feel, lets the furniture work. Not many pictures on the wall, gonna stay that way? Where are you located, if I may ask?


There are more pictures on the walls than it looks like, but not too many. The wall above the green shairs has some art on it, as do most of the non-pictured walls in the house. I grew up with modern art collectors, so I am always a bit apprehensive to put much up. Kind of a need to go my own way. It really just depends shat room you are in as to whether it seems bare walled or covered. We also have an abundance of windows.

I am in San Francisco.
post #14 of 66
Thread Starter 
you like Paul Kjaerholm?
post #15 of 66
Is that a Maarten Baas mirror?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The furniture we'll keep when we move