• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom James Experience?

jmoody15

Reaction score
Does anyone have an experience with Tom James?

I just ordered a MTM Tuxedo and Suit from them, along with a shirt, tie, socks and shoes (all of which I planned on ordering from the beginning). Tux for my wedding, suit for the rehearsal dinner the night before.

The real question comes in here - I should be getting a call any day now to schedule an appointment for alterations and such, and I will see my new stuff for the first time. Does anyone have suggestions of things to keep an eye out for during this appointment?

For example, is Tom James notorious for leaving the sleeves long, or some big no-no that I can have them change at this appointment?

I'm just stepping up from Jos. A. Bank suits, and this seems like one of the best options in my area, so we'll see how it goes.

jmoody15

Reaction score
No response? I'm just looking to find out how to avoid a crappy fitting suit. If I'm doing an MTM suit, I want to make sure that it fits better than anything I can get OTR.

Does anyone have suggestions of general traps to avoid when trying on a suit?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15
No response? I'm just looking to find out how to avoid a crappy fitting suit. If I'm doing an MTM suit, I want to make sure that it fits better than anything I can get OTR.

Does anyone have suggestions of general traps to avoid when trying on a suit?

Aside from the horror stories about Tom James, why don't you trust the company or the individual you saw? Would you feel the same way about, bakers, hair dressers, mechanics, decorators etc?

If you have a negative attitude or expect to find fault you always will.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15

For example, is Tom James notorious for leaving the sleeves long, or some big no-no that I can have them change at this appointment?

I always thought TJ was notorious for aggressive and bad customer service, but I'm not sure about the fit of the suits. They get made out in Maryland at English American anyway, and you can get measured and buy suits directly from there to bypass the TJ sales people.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I always thought TJ was notorious for aggressive and bad customer service, but I'm not sure about the fit of the suits. They get made out in Maryland at English American anyway, and you can get measured and buy suits directly from there to bypass the TJ sales people.

All of my current suits were obtained this way. I am very pleased with the quality, fit, and value. This, however, is not the normal TJ experience. I've never heard about quality issues, but I have heard about really crumby sales people. And crumby sales people can be not only rude, but also incompetent, which results in poorly fit clothes. Best of luck to you.

rlx

Reaction score
Your alterations will be marked by a sales associate, not a tailor. Whether it will be right or not depends on your sales associate. My first MTM Tom James suit was also my last. Good luck!

82-Greg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
All of my current suits were obtained this way. I am very pleased with the quality, fit, and value. This, however, is not the normal TJ experience. I've never heard about quality issues, but I have heard about really crumby sales people. And crumby sales people can be not only rude, but also incompetent, which results in poorly fit clothes. Best of luck to you.

+1

Very happy with the quality!

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you can get a canvassed RTW suit with the Tom James label on it, but I believe you can get a canvassed H. Freeman RTW suit (H. Freeman is another label made at the English American factory). I don't know why you would want to do that, though. You are close to Wesminter - go to the factory and get some MTM. The prices are very reasonable (cheaper than a lot of fused RTW) and the MTM service is much more comprehensive than many, allowing myriad changes to account for posture, body type, and style.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used them in the past. Their sales staff is remarkably aggressive, not particularly well informed and they absolutely would not leave me alone even though I made it clear I didn't want anything else from them. I found quality to be ok but not particularly good and value to be quite poor. That said, I think they have a real place for people who want someone to come to their office and just take care of everything.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
He's fantastic.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a busy executive, and I don't have time to dress myself. But I know the importance of a great first impression. That's why I use Tom James. I find that Tom James provides the service I'm looking for in a manner that suits my busy lifestyle. The only problem is they leave the sleeves a little long. But better too long than too short lol!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
I am a busy executive, and I don't have time to dress myself. But I know the importance of a great first impression. That's why I use Tom James. I find that Tom James provides the service I'm looking for in a manner that suits my busy lifestyle. The only problem is they leave the sleeves a little long. But better too long than too short lol!

"I also like the saleswomen, who are in their twenties and come to my office. They tell me that my combover is kinda hot, and they pick up my framed family photo next to my nameplate on my desk and exclaim how they can't believe how old my wife is."

- B

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
He's fantastic.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

You confuse him with Tom Ford.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads