or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Peacoat - Black or Navy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Peacoat - Black or Navy?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Looking to buy a new peacoat and can't decide if I should go Black or Navy (had a black one in the past - it was very nice)? This is not a huge problem and would be happy either way. Just curious what your preference would be if you could only have one peacoat - only one!


Thanks.
post #2 of 27
I would say Navy for me. I just bought one over the weekend at Old Navy for around $80, and I think it looks great.

But a black one is so close that I think it would be more than fine. In fact, I bet most people in passing wouldn't even notice the difference.
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
I hear. I'm ordering mine from Schott NYC. Had one for about 8 years and then gave it to a friend. It is the warmest peacoat I have seen, incredibly priced at around $175, and last a really long time. Just need to decide a color.
post #4 of 27
Midnight blue was the color of the originals but it always appeared to be black to me.
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvel87 View Post
I hear. I'm ordering mine from Schott NYC. Had one for about 8 years and then gave it to a friend. It is the warmest peacoat I have seen, incredibly priced at around $175, and last a really long time. Just need to decide a color.
Cool, let us know what you end up with!
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
Midnight blue was the color of the originals but it always appeared to be black to me.

I have a Barbour peacoat that they call navy, but is midnight blue as far as I can tell. It is definitely not black, but darker than navy.
post #7 of 27
I am wearing one today in Navy from Sterling Wear in Boston. I like Navy better, and had to specifically special order it as it is not in their drop down list of colors.

Navy just strikes me as a color that seems to show you thought about how to dress as opposed to the mind numbing "black goes with everything" mantra of the masses.

Where would it stop? Black blazers? Black suits?....

Or just get what you like.
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony View Post
Navy just strikes me as a color that seems to show you thought about how to dress as opposed to the mind numbing "black goes with everything" mantra of the masses.

Where would it stop? Black blazers? Black suits?....

Or just get what you like.

So navy wouldn't go with everything if it's a coat? Can I wear black pants with a navy coat? That's my only concern.
post #9 of 27
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Why? It's not an issue? black pants are OK in this case?
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvel87 View Post
So navy wouldn't go with everything if it's a coat? Can I wear black pants with a navy coat? That's my only concern.

I see it working on the same principle as the navy blue blazer, so it should go with any color.

I'm leaning toward getting one in navy myself from Schott or Sterlingwear
post #12 of 27
I would say keep it classic with navy.
post #13 of 27
Either one would work fine. Just make sure it is a Sterlingwear, Schott, Fidelity or something like that, not some sweatshop department store version that is light and poorly constructed.
post #14 of 27
Thread Starter 
Thanks. Going with a schott. I had a black one for 8 years.

Not sure which color. Does anyone know how schott is when it comes to sweaters/jackets?
post #15 of 27
I can see how my post could be misinterpreted. Yes, Navy is very versataille hence one reason I like it. Like the Navy sportcoat or blazer.

Just more interesting a color in my opinion so it has the same go with everything benefit of black without being...black.

So your black pants will work, but fwiw various shades of gray, brown and tan look even better.

Honestly, I don't hate black. Fine for shoes/belts, tuxedos and watchstraps....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Peacoat - Black or Navy?