• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghurka luggage v. Peal line luggage

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price spread between the two is about 60% in favor of Ghurka.
Solid, well-built stuff. Makes me wonder whether chasing deals on Peal bags is worth the bother.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Peal bags are made by Hartmann, no?

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Peal luggage costs 1/2 of what Coochienelli charges for his shyt
devil.gif

Who convinced these people they were the only game around ?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a number of Ghurka bags including 1980's era bags in canvas and leather as well as the one you show but in a pebble grain leather. My wife bought it for me in 2003 and i love it. It is my favorite carryon/overnight bag. Around 2004 the brand was sold and the production went from the USA to China. Some accessories went to Italy. Sad to say, they just aren't the same. The leather doesn't have the same finish. It feels harder and slightly thinner. The company also went head-first into the fashion handbag business which seems to have been a failure. They seem to have lost their direction. I never see any of their bags in stores in the Bay Area any more.

It was a great brand. It was too bad that someone had to do the "let's make this into a global luxury brand" and ******* up.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The China-made designer bags I've come across so far have all been easy to spot due to having the visual appeal of bacterial diarrhea.
Unsuprisingly, Ghurka leathers continue to be sourced from Italy and Spain.
The Express bag shown to me @ the dealer was very well assembled with quite a bit of heft to it.
Though I didn't dive in to search for product tag. Which I probably should've.
So I'm gonna have to pinch myself to believe it now is made in the People's Republic
devil.gif

BTW, Louis Vuitton which most of us occasionally dump on, had their luggage assembled @ a workshop in the burbs of Paris as recently as couple years ago.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Price spread between the two is about 60% in favor of Ghurka.
Solid, well-built stuff. Makes me wonder whether chasing deals on Peal bags is worth the bother.

This looks great.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I have a number of Ghurka bags including 1980's era bags in canvas and leather as well as the one you show but in a pebble grain leather. My wife bought it for me in 2003 and i love it. It is my favorite carryon/overnight bag. Around 2004 the brand was sold and the production went from the USA to China. Some accessories went to Italy. Sad to say, they just aren't the same. The leather doesn't have the same finish. It feels harder and slightly thinner. The company also went head-first into the fashion handbag business which seems to have been a failure. They seem to have lost their direction. I never see any of their bags in stores in the Bay Area any more.

It was a great brand. It was too bad that someone had to do the "let's make this into a global luxury brand" and ******* up.

Awesome. I've seen some of those canvas leather Marley Hogdson bags on ebay and they are nice.

This recently sold on ebay for a touch under $600:

v3djjr.jpg

I actually asked about Ghurka in SW&D but got no replies. My question was why I don't read anything about Ghurka on SF. I thought that either it's been too played out already or for some reason no one wants them.

I don't know, some of the Marley Hogdson canvas/leather duffels/carry-ons are some of the coolest I've seen, and even when they're beat the hell out of, they still go for a couple of hundred bucks on the bay.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Ghurka Express / No.2 is the carry-on bag I've used for years.

One of the saddest travel experiences of my life occurred upon arriving at LAX in my rental car. I opened the trunk to find that I'd been robbed ... my Express was gone.

I recall closing the trunk rather quickly ... then reopening it ... as if I'd not seen the situation correctly ... but I had. Obviously someone in addition to me had a key that fit the trunk.

I now have one in green twill w/ tan/brown pebble grain leather trim ... but it's just not the same as the all leather version that was taken.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The no.2 in canvas leather is the one I think is the best looking. If I was a sensible thief with good taste I'd probably not have the virtue to hold back:

2u4ts7q.jpg

Went for $365 on ebay.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my No.2 bag. One of the last made in USA.

ghurkaleather.jpg

Here are two from the early 80's

ghurkacanvas.jpg

Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
2u4ts7q.jpg
Went for $365 on ebay.

Now that's a steal!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Ghurka has never thrilled me, but your no. 2 (the top one... is that DEERSKIN???? Mr. Moo should take a look) is really very lovely.
smile.gif

fdbaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

So that's what happened. I have several older Ghurka pieces (including the bag shown by the OP, which I love). I had a great Ghurka wallet that finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago after many years of hard use. Went to the Post Street store to replace it and found it shuttered, so I ordered it from their website. It was absolute crap, a mockery of the one it was intended to replace. It had the same general look, but every aspect of it was shockingly inferior to the original. I guess I'm through with Ghurka. It is, as you say, a great shame.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to ruining a fine brand the new owners had the amazing vision to open in the new Plaza Hotel in NYC just as the world began to feel the full effects of the financial crisis. This PR release shows how the image of the company went from a handmade and functional ethic to wanting to change it into something else. Well I guess they did.

GHURKA TO DEBUT IN PLAZA RETAIL COLLECTION

NEW YORK (SEPTEMBER 4, 2008) Known for its exquisite handcrafted leather goods and accessories, American luxury brand Ghurka announced today that it will debut a retail boutique in The Plaza on September 22, 2008. The landmark building, poised on the crossroads of 5th Avenue and Central Park, pays homage to some of the most distinguished guests, exclusive parties and monumental events of the last century.

Offering an extensive collection of travel goods and products for business, leisure and the sporting life, Ghurka will join several other unique luxury brands in The Plaza Retail Collection, a unique collection of boutiques that combine to create an international luxury destination in the heart of New York City.

The Plaza is an iconic landmark in American history and we are extraordinarily proud to have Ghurka, a brand also rich in heritage & tradition, be a part of this exclusive retail collection, said Accessory Network Chairman and CEO Abe Chehebar.

For the last three decades, Ghurka has introduced exceptional pieces for men and women that strike a harmonious balance between functionally and style. Each look embodies Ghurka's charge to revive the fine art of leather working, and create sophisticated leather goods that are timeless in their appeal. Ghurka's collections are designed for the discerning customer who covets exceptional craftsmanship and quality.

Recently, Ghurka announced the appointment of American born artist & designer, Nicholas P. Gamarello, as Vice President/Creative Director to evolve & broaden the scope of the brand to become a full-fledged lifestyle brand representing worlds within worlds of product category under the Ghurka umbrella. Five collections are planned to launch in early 2009, including a Women's Couture Collection, an Expedition Travel Collection, a Sketchbook Aviary and Botanical Collection, a Frontier Collection and a Limited Edition Trophy Tote Collection featuring patriotic overtones. These new silhouettes and designs will be offered in addition to Ghurka's existing classic collections.

The wholly-owned Ghurka falls under Accessory Network Group's Prestige Brands Division along with licensed brands, Calvin Klein, Tahari, Karl Lagerfeld, Vera Wang Lavender Label, IZOD and Cynthia Rowley.

About Accessory Network Group: Founded in 1984, ANG is a privately held manufacturer and marketer of premier of brand name and private label handbags, small leather goods, luggage, accessories and cold weather apparel. Supplying retailers with a broad line of fashion accessories for men, women, teens and children, ANG is recognized as the leading accessories designer and manufacturer in the industry. ANG's Prestige Division holds licenses to design manufacture and distribute Handbags & Accessories for leading designer brands such as Vera Wang Lavender Label, Karl Lagerfeld, Tahari, Calvin Klein, IZOD and Cynthia Rowley. Additionally, ANG owns LeSportsac, the leading international brand of affordably priced luxury nylon fashion bags sold in major department stores as well as company owned retail stores.

About The Plaza: The Plaza, an international cultural icon for 100 years, continues its legacy of extraordinary splendor and flawless service. With a legendary hotel, lavish residences, and an unparalleled retail collection, The Plaza remains an incomparable brand exuding authenticity, elegance, and global prestige. At Fifth Avenue and Central Park South, the Plaza retail collection is destined to be a new classic for the world's most discerning consumers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads