or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Weight training: I don't feel the lasting "burn"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Weight training: I don't feel the lasting "burn"

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
So I'm doing some strength training. For each individual muscle group, I do maximum weight, 8-12 reps/set, and 3 sets each time.

However, I don't feel that soreness/"burn" that I used to feel when first started. Am I not doing enough?
post #2 of 43
You need to increase the weight, or possibly change the exercises that you have been doing. I recommened doing compound lifts instead of isolation (machine) exercises. They work a much wider range of muscles in a few exercises that you can do like 3 days a week. Do lifts such as Military Press, Squats, Bench Press, Bendover Barbell Rows..best if you make an account and ask for advice on actual bodybuilding site. Check out : www.wannabebig.com Good luck.
post #3 of 43
Also, soreness is not usually associated with the quality of your workout, not matter how boring and dull it sounds.
post #4 of 43
+1 on compound lifts. This wiki is based on Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

Do the program and you will be sore and have great results. I started squating at 135. In six months I was up to 300. Bench started at max 175 ended doing sets with 225. Deadlift started at 135 and ended at 350. I'm almost 40 and lifted when I was in high school, but was never this strong or big. I had to stop training due to some injuries, but it was a great experience and I will do it again.
post #5 of 43
Try focusing more on gains (strength, muscle mass, ect.) that can be measured or seen and less on how much pump you're getting and the like. If you're lifting more weight you're obviously getting stronger. One can't expect your body to react the same way as when they first start lifting as they do after years of consistent training, the body adapts to the stress. Breaks in lifting can be positive for net gains and you can use that time to catch up in other areas of your life, or progress in other important areas such as your cardiovascular endurance. Just make sure you are fully capable of motivating yourself to get back into lifting again, perhaps this time with a slightly different approach than before.
post #6 of 43
Your body adapts to routines after a while, regardless of how taxing those routines initially were. You shouldn't always be striving for that burn, since soreness doesn't automatically equal progress. Regardless, you should be making some significant changes in your routine every four to six weeks to keep your body guessing. You should also try to slightly alter your routine every trip to the gym so that your body isn't able to adapt so easily.
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post
Your body adapts to routines after a while

1234
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post
Your body adapts to routines after a while, regardless of how taxing those routines initially were. You shouldn't always be striving for that burn, since soreness doesn't automatically equal progress. Regardless, you should be making some significant changes in your routine every four to six weeks to keep your body guessing. You should also try to slightly alter your routine every trip to the gym so that your body isn't able to adapt so easily.

+ a trillion.

Take my routine for example: I work out bis and chest twice a week. One day I'll do upper chest, another day I'll do lower chest, and the next time I go I work on my center chest. Cheap time I use different machines / exercises that constantly keep my body guessing what will come next.

If you have the ability to gain weight rapidly (not fat weight), then the above mentioned routine should get you relatively bigger in a shorter span of time than you would otherwise seen in a more 'stable' routine.

If you are like me however and have trouble gaining weight, it's going to be a much harder uphill battle.
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
+ a trillion.

If you are like me however and have trouble gaining weight, it's going to be a much harder uphill battle.

Varying your routine is one key - mixing in different exercises or even changing the order up a bit can help. That said, as another person who doesn't put on weight very quickly, it can take time.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
If you are like me however and have trouble gaining weight, it's going to be a much harder uphill battle.

That's because your training sucks.
post #11 of 43
After some repetition you might not have the same soreness. That burn isn't what you are really looking for you can keep increasing the weight but not getting to that sore point isn't such a bad thing if you you are able to keep increasing. If you do want to feel sore try some different exercises and that should do it for awhile at least.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
That's because your training sucks.


I cannot let this slide. You have no way of knowing if his training "sucks" or not. Genetics has an enormous influence on how a lifter responds to weight training. That is a scientific fact that no amount of bluster can change. Be constructive or be quiet.
post #13 of 43
The body will not adapt to your weight training. That is another one of those stupid fucking fallacies that have made their way through bodybuilding just like you need 12 reps for hypertrophy and 5 for strength etc etc. If you are trying to increase weight accordingly, or reps, then you are not "adapting". Obviously if you are curling 30 pounds every workout and doing nothing else, ok you're going to stall. Ive done the same 5/3/1 routine by Jim Wendler for months now and am still putting 5lbs a month on my bench and 10 on my deadlift/squat. Before that I did the same split for 2 years and brought my deadlift from 215 to the upper 500s. And OP: Soreness is never an indicator of workout quality.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad View Post
I cannot let this slide. You have no way of knowing if his training "sucks" or not. Genetics has an enormous influence on how a lifter responds to weight training. That is a scientific fact that no amount of bluster can change. Be constructive or be quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy View Post
The body will not adapt to your weight training. That is another one of those stupid fucking fallacies that have made their way through bodybuilding just like you need 12 reps for hypertrophy and 5 for strength etc etc. If you are trying to increase weight accordingly, or reps, then you are not "adapting". Obviously if you are curling 30 pounds every workout and doing nothing else, ok you're going to stall. Ive done the same 5/3/1 routine by Jim Wendler for months now and am still putting 5lbs a month on my bench and 10 on my deadlift/squat. Before that I did the same split for 2 years and brought my deadlift from 215 to the upper 500s. And OP: Soreness is never an indicator of workout quality.
Thanks ZackyBoy, you saved me the trouble. If someone doesn't make progress their training sucks. Not that hard to understand.
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
If someone doesn't make progress their training sucks. Not that hard to understand.
I never said that I don't make progress, I only said that it's hard and takes me a longer time than other non-superman metabolism individuals. That being said, I have made progress over the least year, but at the same time it's hard for me to intake enough food to help speed up the process and overtake the speed of my metabolism.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Weight training: I don't feel the lasting "burn"