• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere care?

NMW1982

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I need to dry clean my cashmere sweaters?

I'd like to wash them, but I'm afraid of damaging them in the wash. Do I have to use special detergent?

Thanks.

pandamonium

Reaction score
I'd recommend dry cleaning, but you could hand wash with some mild detergent like Woolite. To dry, lay them out on some towels - do NOT hand dry, unless you plan on growing by several inches in the next few days. Push out excess water after you've laid them down, but definitely don't wring them or crush the material too hard. I would not recommend using a washing machine, and especially not drying by machine.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay away from dry cleaning imo

If you have a solid high quality washing machine, I suggest using the "hand wash" cycle along with one of those little baskets that go inside the machine. Put the sweater in the basket then inside the machine.

My wife found the baskets in the lingerie section of a dept store. They are great for delicate items.

You can also handwash with woolite but I doubt it's any safer than the machine + basket

Lay flat to dry

Scoundrel

Reaction score
1. Read the care label
2. Washing cashmere by hand is always the best method

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just spot clean it gently if there is a stain but otherwise, why would you want to wash a cashmere sweater?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Just spot clean it gently if there is a stain but otherwise, why would you want to wash a cashmere sweater?

I do, keeps it fresh and unwinds alot of the little balls that form.

nohomo

Reaction score
Does putting them through a washer/dryer just shrink them or are there any other adverse effects? I have one cheap cashmere sweater, in good shape but extremely big.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Washing also takes out lint, and execs pigment. Thus making it softer ... Cashmere Is actually the one wool that really "likes" water
wink.gif
Cashmere is PERFECT, the only drawback is low friction resistance ...

mmm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohomo
Does putting them through a washer/dryer just shrink them or are there any other adverse effects? I have one cheap cashmere sweater, in good shape but extremely big.

Dont put it in the dryer. Lay it flat over a towel or something

nohomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmm
Dont put it in the dryer. Lay it flat over a towel or something

I'm purposely trying to shirnk them though. Will it shrink w/o a dryer?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
If you just put it in a washing machine, you run the risk of "fulling" the cashmere. Fulling is the technical term for sweater fuzz. A basket should help with this, but I'm not sure if it matters whether you have a front or top loader. Dryers should be avoided at all cost.

I wash my cashmere by hand, but only about once a year. I fill a sink with cold water, add Woolite, then put the sweater in and let it soak for about 30 minutes. I drain, then refill with clean water and gently press the sweater to squeeze out some of the detergent, then drain, refill, and soak.

Afterward, I let the sweaters drain in the sink for a while, then lay them flat on a towel, roll it up and stand on it to squeeze out as much of the water as possible. Then I lay flat on a dry towel and let dry.

It's not as labor intensive as it sounds, and my sweaters stay in like new condition.

pandamonium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohomo
I'm purposely trying to shirnk them though. Will it shrink w/o a dryer?

I read this a long time ago:
Cashmere is a knit. Once you start vigorously heating and tumbling, the material begins to mesh together into a felt. You'll end up with a smaller size if washing it in warm water, but you're going to transform the material.

foto010101

Reaction score
I have a few other questions concerning the care of cashmere sweaters:

1. How many times can an UNSTAINED sweater be worn before it is needs to be washed? I cannot imagine people wearing a sweater many times without washing it. It is just not very fresh. Is smell the only criterion?

2. Putting a worn sweater in the closet is usually not advised because it will attract moths. Where should the sweater be stored after it has been worn (so it will be worn again before getting washed)? Laying it somewhere flat outside the closet will only help to accumulate dust.

3. How should I get rid off dust and other small particles that like to get into the fabric? By the way, this question applies to all woolen sweaters. Suits can easily be brushed with a Kent Brush for example, but the same procedure is clearly not suitable for sweaters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads