or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why Shell Cordovan Is The $#!+
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why Shell Cordovan Is The $#!+ - Page 4

post #46 of 69
Great restorations.
Count, sorry to see your shells are so badly cracked.
It's very interesting to see both worlds on this thread.
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post
Count, (I think you may have outbid me on those) I'd almost just ask for a refund, the original picture is that misleading.
Is there any texture to the cracks? or are they just in color?

I tried to get close ups to show the texture but had difficulty. Perhaps I'll try again with sunlight on the weekend.

The cracks are quite deep. Deep enough so that of I were brave I could dig in fingernail in and pull back the top layer.

In my shock, once I saw the rips I immediately took them to a shoe repair place. The gentlemen there said once there are cracks that deep there is no repairing possible. So I think I will continue to wear them until the cracks become rips...
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by countcount View Post
I tried to get close ups to show the texture but had difficulty. Perhaps I'll try again with sunlight on the weekend.

The cracks are quite deep. Deep enough so that of I were brave I could dig in fingernail in and pull back the top layer.

In my shock, once I saw the rips I immediately took them to a shoe repair place. The gentlemen there said once there are cracks that deep there is no repairing possible. So I think I will continue to wear them until the cracks become rips...

Pecards? and then you morph into the US Prince Charles..
post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post
Pecards? and then you morph into the US Prince Charles..

Interesting idea.... Anyone have experience with patchwork on shell? Seems like it would be difficult.
post #50 of 69
Count- I'm not sure I understand, were the cracks actually filled with polish? Were they just dryed out under all that polish, but didn't crack until you wore them? Did you just remove the old polish with elbow grease? or did you use a solvent? I'm not super experienced in this area, and I agree with you that the results the op poster aren't typical, but I can't imagine what you expereinced being all that common either.
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post
Count-
I'm not sure I understand, were the cracks actually filled with polish?
Were they just dryed out under all that polish, but didn't crack until you wore them?
Did you just remove the old polish with elbow grease? or did you use a solvent?

I'm not super experienced in this area, and I agree with you that the results the op poster aren't typical, but I can't imagine what you expereinced being all that common either.


Quote:
Were they just dryed out under all that polish, but didn't crack until you wore them?
Yes, this is what I think happened

The cracks appeared the first time I wore them after I had spent hours rubbing with a damp soft cloth and brushing with a horse hair brush. No solvents, saddle soap, lexol, etc. There was significant polish build-up in some of the ridges. I was speculating that it might have been to hide the cracks. But in retrospect I would have noticed cracks when I was rubbing with the cloth.

I too think I just got a rare pair of old worn out shell that had been through a lot of wear and tear and, perhaps, poor care.
post #52 of 69
I guess I'm going to have to start taking before pictures if I want to play here, but here are a few shells that I've "reconditioned". Both of these looked similar to other posters "previous" pictures before I started. My technique is fairly similar, with the possible exception of using a damp terry cloth rag to do the initial cleaning. I find this removes most of the surface grime (and some wax build-up), making it easier to get the bulk of the wax with something like the inside of an athletic sock. Hanover PTB Hanover Longwing
post #53 of 69
^ fan-effin-tastic! and I wanted to re-iterate something I just learned about shell. I was using the same brush for all my shell and calf shoes but recently noticed that my shell shoes weren't getting as good a shine as before. I found out that this is probably because of the wax and other product build up on the shoe brush that were transferring from my calf shoes to the shells over time. At some point I will clean the shell shoes thoroughly and buy another shoe brush that is just for my shell shoes.
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin View Post
Hanover PTB

[Hanover Longwing

These shoes look stunning to me, especially the PTB. I love the "ripples".
post #55 of 69
I found a good before and after pic (before the cracking). The one on the left was after elbow grease of buffing and brushing only. Bringing out the original beauty of the shell was very satisfying...
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by countcount View Post
I found a good before and after pic (before the cracking). The one on the left was after elbow grease of buffing and brushing only. Bringing out the original beauty of the shell was very satisfying...

That really is a shame, what happened to your shoes, but I think I've learned something from your before and after pictures. Although the body of the shoe doesn't give away the (soon to become apparent) dryness of the leather, the piping along the lacing area is already dry and cracking in the before picture. I don't know this for certain, but I've always suspected that these trim pieces of leather are calf, rather than shell, and may show signs of dryness more readily. I'm thinking they may be a good area to check for the overall condition of the leather.
post #57 of 69
Cordovan is for mailman
post #58 of 69
I see this a lot on horse tack and work boots. If something leather is just dry then liberal doses of boot oil over a week will most likely restore the leather to a usable condition. If it's wet or dry rotted then there's no hope and you're just SOL.
post #59 of 69
post #60 of 69
I should try the OP's method to give my shell shoes a good shine. Hard work
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why Shell Cordovan Is The $#!+