• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sharing umbrella with a stranger?

Incman

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This may not be 100% on topic for a clothes forum, but the majority of the people here seem to be quite gentlemanly (not sure if that's a word), and as such I hoped you might have an answer. The other day I was standing at a bus stop waiting for the bus. It was raining and I had my umbrella open to stay dry. A girl came to the bus stop after me, and she didn't have an umbrella and was just waiting in the rain. I instinctively asked her if she wanted to share my umbrella, and she said yea. My question is: Is that seen as a weird/creeper-ish thing to do, or is it pretty common practice? Thanks in advance for the help, and I apologize again if this isn't 100% relevant to the forum.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its not creepy unless youre licking your lips and touching your crotch.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
My question is: Is that seen as a weird/creeper-ish thing to do, or is it pretty common practice?

Her acceptance suggests she didn't think so (or at the very least the weirdness was outweighed by her desire to stay dry.)

I think it's a nice thing to do.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its perfectly ok since it was a female.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Its perfectly ok since it was a female.

Beat me to it, +1.

Aluan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
Hi everyone. This may not be 100% on topic for a clothes forum, but the majority of the people here seem to be quite gentlemanly (not sure if that's a word), and as such I hoped you might have an answer. The other day I was standing at a bus stop waiting for the bus. It was raining and I had my umbrella open to stay dry. A girl came to the bus stop after me, and she didn't have an umbrella and was just waiting in the rain. I instinctively asked her if she wanted to share my umbrella, and she said yea. My question is: Is that seen as a weird/creeper-ish thing to do, or is it pretty common practice? Thanks in advance for the help, and I apologize again if this isn't 100% relevant to the forum.
Sharing an umbrella in the rain is how my parents met, so I don't think it's weird or creepy. I think it's just common courtesy. This might depend on where you live or your culture, though. You don't think it'd be rude if you were standing under an umbrella while she gets rained on and you never offered?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Offering to share your umbrella is quite appropriate.

Corniche

Reaction score
smack.gif
smack.gif

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aluan
Sharing an umbrella in the rain is how my parents met, so I don't think it's weird or creepy. I think it's just common courtesy. This might depend on where you live or your culture, though.

You don't think it'd be rude if you were standing under an umbrella while she gets rained on and you never offered?

That was exactly what I was thinking. However, it seems some people find it strange that someone would be trying to do something nice, and as such believe that they have some ulterior motive. I've held the door open before for some people and they've just stared at me like I was absolutely crazy. (I'm not btw, just an average 17 year old university kid)

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would certainly be inappropriate if I did not offer to share the umbrella with the fairer sex. The only time I don't do it is if she is really fat.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
It would certainly be inappropriate if I did not offer to share the umbrella with the fairer sex. The only time I don't do it is if she is really fat.

LOL! I can just picture her under the whole umbrella while you stand in the rain wondering why you tried to do something nice.

Artigas

Reaction score
I seem to remember a song on this subject.

However, it seems some people find it strange that someone would be trying to do something nice, and as such believe that they have some ulterior motive. I've held the door open before for some people and they've just stared at me like I was absolutely crazy. (I'm not btw, just an average 17 year old university kid)
Also as a student, I've opened a door for a lady and she walked past me to open another door for herself. I think it must be a university thing, since it's only happened there. Feminists, I guess.

rjacobs

Reaction score
you shouldn't share your umbrella unless she is at least, like, a 7. otherwise it's just a waste of resources

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artigas
I seem to remember a song on this subject.

Also as a student, I've opened a door for a lady and she walked past me to open another door for herself. I think it must be a university thing, since it's only happened there. Feminists, I guess.

hermans hermits
Bus Stop
http://www.lyricsdepot.com/hermans-h...bus-stop.html#

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads