Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I - Page 341  

post #5101 of 9842
Since i have reported about 100 illegal threads in buysell in the past couple of days, i have noticed something. If we implemented a minimum post count of 50 to use the buysell forum, it would prevent about 90% of the rules abuse. If we implemented a 100 post count minimum, it would probably eliminate 99% of the same abuse. I dont understand why this hasnt been put into place yet. There are 1000s of people who register solely to sell things on the buy/sell. This doesnt benefit styleforum at all. I realize that advertisements must pay the bills, but if they arent contributing to the forum, i doubt they are visiting any of the forum sponsors.
post #5102 of 9842
http://www.styleforum.net/member.php?u=48569

is either a spammer or virus-spreading bot. The link in his post froze my computer.
post #5103 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacked View Post
http://www.styleforum.net/member.php?u=48569

is either a spammer or virus-spreading bot. The link in his post froze my computer.

Got him - we had a few like that yesterday as well. I think they're bots.
post #5104 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKK3450 View Post
Why did it warrant a time out?

I'm pretty sure I've seen much worse round these parts. That said, the board isnt a democracy, so I guess its up to the puppet master.

K

I had nothing to do with it
post #5105 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post
This is a quote, referring to me, from the New York being the least free state thread in CE. I await your judgment.
What is mikejones is complaining about? He started the fight because he sarcastically questioned your intelligence, you sarcastically questioned his kid's intelligence. Both were cheap shots but one isn't any more or less deserving of a time-out than the other.
post #5106 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre View Post
Since i have reported about 100 illegal threads in buysell in the past couple of days, i have noticed something. If we implemented a minimum post count of 50 to use the buysell forum, it would prevent about 90% of the rules abuse. If we implemented a 100 post count minimum, it would probably eliminate 99% of the same abuse.

I dont understand why this hasnt been put into place yet. There are 1000s of people who register solely to sell things on the buy/sell. This doesnt benefit styleforum at all. I realize that advertisements must pay the bills, but if they arent contributing to the forum, i doubt they are visiting any of the forum sponsors.

The mods must love that, oh vigilant enforcer.
post #5107 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre View Post
Since i have reported about 100 illegal threads in buysell in the past couple of days, i have noticed something. If we implemented a minimum post count of 50 to use the buysell forum, it would prevent about 90% of the rules abuse. If we implemented a 100 post count minimum, it would probably eliminate 99% of the same abuse.

I dont understand why this hasnt been put into place yet. There are 1000s of people who register solely to sell things on the buy/sell. This doesnt benefit styleforum at all. I realize that advertisements must pay the bills, but if they arent contributing to the forum, i doubt they are visiting any of the forum sponsors.

I agree with you 100% about a (reasonable) minimum thread count before being able to create a thread ANYWHERE, including buy/sell, however....

This seems a little big brother, monitoring and determining who is allowed on SF based on their activity and their preference of threads. I mean, the only thing I ever do on SuFu is use the buy/sell threads. Does that mean I don't belong there?

Maybe if they don't want to post in the community threads for whatever reason... using the (member-run) buy/sell thread, generating traffic, keeping the unique IP hits counts up and the occational sponsor click is how they contribute to styleforum
post #5108 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre View Post
Since i have reported about 100 illegal threads in buysell in the past couple of days, i have noticed something. If we implemented a minimum post count of 50 to use the buysell forum, it would prevent about 90% of the rules abuse. If we implemented a 100 post count minimum, it would probably eliminate 99% of the same abuse.

I dont understand why this hasnt been put into place yet. There are 1000s of people who register solely to sell things on the buy/sell. This doesnt benefit styleforum at all. I realize that advertisements must pay the bills, but if they arent contributing to the forum, i doubt they are visiting any of the forum sponsors.

Ths is a fallacy.
post #5109 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix View Post
What is mikejones is complaining about? He started the fight because he sarcastically questioned your intelligence, you sarcastically questioned his kid's intelligence. Both were cheap shots but one isn't any more or less deserving of a time-out than the other.

Things that make you go "hmmmm"
post #5110 of 9842
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix View Post
I agree with you 100% about a (reasonable) minimum thread count before being able to create a thread ANYWHERE, including buy/sell, however....

This seems a little big brother, monitoring and determining who is allowed on SF based on their activity and their preference of threads. I mean, the only thing I ever do on SuFu is use the buy/sell threads. Does that mean I don't belong there?

Maybe if they don't want to post in the community threads for whatever reason... using the (member-run) buy/sell thread, generating traffic, keeping the unique IP hits counts up and the occational sponsor click is how they contribute to styleforum
Yeah, bringing stuff to sell is contributing, as long as they do it with respect for our rules. It gives you guys stuff to buy and attracts more people to the B&S because of the diversity of products, even if they might not be your ideal customer. More people looking at B&S = better prices for sellers = more incentive for them to bother selling stuff = more stuff for you to buy. But I agree, if they come just to sell and bump their stuff and act cocky when someone calls them on it, they get spaminated. It amazes me that someone would wait 45 days just to do exactly that, but spaminating them is easy.
post #5111 of 9842
What is the difference between temporarily banned (SField) and in time out (Teger)?
post #5112 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post
What is the difference between temporarily banned (SField) and in time out (Teger)?

Is it that Tegar can still read CESpool, but can't reply?

Come to think of it, the fact that he is doing that is a little sad.
post #5113 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
Is it that Tegar can still read CESpool, but can't reply?

Come to think of it, the fact that he is doing that is a little sad.

I wonder if people who get the "Read Only" lock sit there and make notes about all the threads they want to reply to, so when the are back in they can attack with the fury of the dragon!
post #5114 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix View Post
I wonder if people who get the "Read Only" lock sit there and make notes about all the threads they want to reply to, so when the are back in they can attack with the fury of the dragon!

That's sorta what I was picturing .. an impotent rage and furious note scribbling.
post #5115 of 9842
SField is fun.

I await his return.

I think he got banned because JetBlast is young and he basically made fun of a suicide attempt.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I