or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I - Page 117  

post #1741 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
Fixed.
That's why they call me "The Ban Hammer".

Man, did the past several days teach us nothing?

Like the new, hip way to order tequila?
post #1742 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian278 View Post
Like the new, hip way to order tequila?

Uh huh. Ya buddy, that's right.
post #1743 of 9842
^^ Jimmy Barnes and INXS had 2 awesome songs on the "The Lost Boys" Soundtrack. Recognize.
post #1744 of 9842
so...in case it is not obvious enough...if you are starting up false accounts to have conversations with yourself (argh, this is painful to even have to bother writing) in order to bump your chats, you will be banned. It is pretty obvious to the rank-n-file members when 3 new people show up out of nowhere to compliment you on your stuff and say it is 'perfect but just a bit too big' etc. Guys, please report it whenever you suspect it. It is glaringly obvious to the mods, cos we have a mouseover thing that shows your IP address. If you do it....you are gone. It is that simple. Any of us can and will ban you and your IP-sharing alter egos with the spaminator without warning.
post #1745 of 9842
So what do the mods think of this? http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=57312

I saw that J had posted on there, but is that kind of thing frowned upon? Yeah, I realize that the first post about eBay was not right to do, but the rest of us were making good points, except for my stupid comment about the guy who's a mod on another forum.

On one hand, we were probably making his stuff look bad. On the other hand, we kept it up at the top for like 4 hours, which in the B&S thread is like 6 weeks.
post #1746 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
So what do the mods think of this? http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=57312

I saw that J had posted on there, but is that kind of thing frowned upon? Yeah, I realize that the first post about eBay was not right to do, but the rest of us were making good points, except for my stupid comment about the guy who's a mod on another forum.

On one hand, we were probably making his stuff look bad. On the other hand, we kept it up at the top for like 4 hours, which in the B&S thread is like 6 weeks.
i tend to disagree but defer on this one. J is all about 'no disparaging sale items' although personally I have no problem with it...if people say 'how can you sell that for 300, you can get it new for 200 here' with a link, I file that as a public service. Nornally a well intentioned seller will come back and say 'no, that link is the non selvege version, mine are selvege ergo pay up", and in the end the thread has had a bump to the top through legitimate discourse. If the seller was trying to rip people off, then he has been called out, and has to respond accordingly. Anyhow, J disagrees, saying 'let the buyer beware' and acknowledging the collective wisdom of the board to not get ripped off. He can go into more detail about it if he wishes....but we agreed to disagree on this issue when we chatted about it, and it is his board, his way.
post #1747 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T View Post
i tend to disagree but defer on this one.

J is all about 'no disparaging sale items' although personally I have no problem with it...if people say 'how can you sell that for 300, you can get it new for 200 here' with a link, I file that as a public service. Nornally a well intentioned seller will come back and say 'no, that link is the non selvege version, mine are selvege ergo pay up", and in the end the thread has had a bump to the top through legitimate discourse. If the seller was trying to rip people off, then he has been called out, and has to respond accordingly.

Anyhow, J disagrees, saying 'let the buyer beware' and acknowledging the collective wisdom of the board to not get ripped off. He can go into more detail about it if he wishes....but we agreed to disagree on this issue when we chatted about it, and it is his board, his way.

I don't get a vote, but if I did, it would be with you. On more than one occasion, I have seen posts on B&S where I knew the same stuff was available for less. If I were interested in buying, I would hope people would tell me where else I could look. Misrepresentations cry out more strongly for intervention. But I get enough out of this site as a consumer that I can't really complain about the occasional pro-business slant.
post #1748 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
I don't get a vote, but if I did, it would be with you. On more than one occasion, I have seen posts on B&S where I knew the same stuff was available for less. If I were interested in buying, I would hope people would tell me where else I could look. Misrepresentations cry out more strongly for intervention. But I get enough out of this site as a consumer that I can't really complain about the occasional pro-business slant.

The seller might be selling it for cheaper than what he paid for it, albeit the market price at some random corner of the web is cheaper. In this case, why spoiling somebody's good faith effort to get rid of his stuff? I can understand if some jackass is asking $100 for a pair of basic Levi's 501xx, or $400 for a $380 Brooks Brothers gift card. But, like I said, if it's below retail price, then why crap in the man's thread? Obviously, you can post a PSA in the B&S area to alert people to the amazing deal you've just found.
post #1749 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn View Post
The seller might be selling it for cheaper than what he paid for it, albeit the market price at some random corner of the web is cheaper. In this case, why spoiling somebody's good faith effort to get rid of his stuff? I can understand if some jackass is asking $100 for a pair of basic Levi's 501xx, or $400 for a $380 Brooks Brothers gift card. But, like I said, if it's below retail price, then why crap in the man's thread? Obviously, you can post a PSA in the B&S area to alert people to the amazing deal you've just found.

You could also PM the seller with an FYI. That happened to me once when I had bought a bunch of stuff to flip. Some of the items were brands I knew little about, aside from that people mentioned them. Once my post was up, someone PMed me and let me know that a couple of the prices were unrealistic. I appreciated it very much, as I didn't want to give the impression I was trying to rip people off.
post #1750 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T View Post
i tend to disagree but defer on this one.

J is all about 'no disparaging sale items' although personally I have no problem with it...if people say 'how can you sell that for 300, you can get it new for 200 here' with a link, I file that as a public service. Nornally a well intentioned seller will come back and say 'no, that link is the non selvege version, mine are selvege ergo pay up", and in the end the thread has had a bump to the top through legitimate discourse. If the seller was trying to rip people off, then he has been called out, and has to respond accordingly.

Anyhow, J disagrees, saying 'let the buyer beware' and acknowledging the collective wisdom of the board to not get ripped off. He can go into more detail about it if he wishes....but we agreed to disagree on this issue when we chatted about it, and it is his board, his way.

You have to be clear about what you mean by ripping people off. Asking $300 for something that is available somewhere else for $200 is not ripping people off imo. No one is forced to buy anything. Do you really believe people buy stuff blindly on the forum and simply assume they are getting the best price?

Where do you then draw the line? Must items sold in the forum be the lowest price anywhere with some sort of price-matching guarantee? What about saying that things are available at C21 or FB for less?

I'm with j on this one. It's a free market. All buyers can do their due diligence to determine whether the item is worth the asking price for them. You guys know that the market here is pretty efficient and overpriced goods do not sell. These types of comments on sales threads will quickly get out control and destroy the integrity of the B&S forum.
post #1751 of 9842
Wouldn't that also imply a free market for information? If someone posts a link to the same item for less, that's fair. Just bitching that it's a bad deal is probably uncalled for.
post #1752 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL72 View Post
. . . I'm with j on this one. It's a free market. All buyers can do their due diligence to determine whether the item is worth the asking price for them. You guys know that the market here is pretty efficient and overpriced goods do not sell. These types of comments on sales threads will quickly get out control and destroy the integrity of the B&S forum.

What is that?
post #1753 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
What is that?

Confidence in the infrastucture and the policies as they currently exist i.e. that sales threads will not be hindered by comments referring to the esthetic or monetary value of the items - only their potential authenticity; no free bumps... all the rules that ensure we can conduct business in an efficient manner on the forum.
post #1754 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL72 View Post
Confidence in the infrastucture and the policies as they currently exist i.e. that sales threads will not be hindered by comments referring to the esthetic or monetary value of the items - only their potential authenticity; no free bumps...

That is the most self reflexive definition of integrity I could imagine.
post #1755 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
What is that?

Hey, this is the most integrititied B&S forum I know in existence.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I