or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I - Page 102  

post #1516 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn View Post
I was banned for a little while earlier today, what was going on?

That was me. Bad Fok
post #1517 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
Kennyghetzoff or whatever is in the can for 2 weeks for either being homophobic or for making a very ill-advised joke. In either case, he made me have to interrupt my Friday evening watching The Wire, so he is taking a break.
But how will i know what jeans fit similar to RRDS? On a different note. See, i wasn't crazy a few weeks ago when i said i was able to edit thread titles in the thread listing page. Maybe it's only before someone responds to it. I just clicked next to the title and the thread title became a white box that i could edit.
post #1518 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn View Post
I was banned for a little while earlier today, what was going on?

Got me, too. Somebody hates law-talking guys.
Well, ok, lots of people.
post #1519 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post
Got me, too. Somebody hates law-talking guys.
Well, ok, lots of people.

That was also me Maybe I unconsciously hate lawyers or something. Sue me.
post #1520 of 9842
Thread Starter 
?! Fok are you possessed or something? How did you manage to do that?
post #1521 of 9842
Kinda annoying, but keep an eye out for a cleverer grade of spam masked as a legitimate thread....see signature in this screenshot. Note that spammers arent trying to sell to us, they just want to get the googlebots to notice them to crank page rank, so when you guys respond in good faith (ie. join a gym), you keep the spam alive. Very annoying. If you see stuff like this, please report it.
post #1522 of 9842
On a related note....

What do you guy think of a system where new members cannot start threads until they have, say, 3 posts under their belts. So if they try to start a new thread (and most spam comes from first time posters on new threads as opposed to buried in active threads), they get a message like this...

"Hi there

As a spam prevention tool, you may not start a thread until you have made three posts elsewhere. Why not [link] introduce yourself to the board here, or [link] tell us what you are wearing here or here, or even [link]what you had for last night's dinner.

Once you have three posts under your belt, you will be able to start threads.

Apologies for any inconvenience

Da Management"

Opinions? J - doable?
post #1523 of 9842
I am all for it. Why not increase the post count to 5 or 10?
post #1524 of 9842
That's not going to stop any spammers guys.
post #1525 of 9842
Thread Starter 
Yeah.. firstly I don't think it will stop them, it will make them post in threads where they will be harder to spot. Secondly I don' t think it's doable without a hack, which I like to avoid if I can.
post #1526 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin View Post
That's not going to stop any spammers guys.
depends on whether spammers are people too I guess. It means they have to put in an extra 30 mins to hit just our one little forum here, when they could have hit 5 others in the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post
Yeah.. firstly I don't think it will stop them, it will make them post in threads where they will be harder to spot. Secondly I don' t think it's doable without a hack, which I like to avoid if I can.
yah, the 'will that just clog up what are we wearing with crap' is a different question, and agree, that is more obtrusive and harder to spot. Oh well, just an idea.
post #1527 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T View Post
depends on whether spammers are people too I guess. It means they have to put in an extra 30 mins to hit just our one little forum here, when they could have hit 15 others in the same time.
Not even 30 mins. It's not hard to write a script to hit a messageboard with dozens of spam posts in a under a minute.

Edit: Also, there are spider programs that just troll around automatically on the web that post junk where ever they can. Little human involvement is needed, other than the initial programming and datasets.
post #1528 of 9842
Quote:
Edit: Also, there are spider programs that just troll around automatically on the web that post junk where ever they can. Little human involvement is needed, other than the initial programming and datasets.
That is scary as shit.

JB
post #1529 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
That is scary as shit.

JB
We have to do something about your pottymouth young man.

Re the scripts - that is kind of my point though, the 'cant start threads for three posts' would trip most existing scripts that are signing up, starting threads, and advertising phones.

Can they go back and rewrite the script to avoid that? Sure.
Are we worth it? Maybe to a large-enough percentage...no. There is plenty of lower hanging fruit.
post #1530 of 9842
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post
?! Fok are you possessed or something? How did you manage to do that?

I am the ban hammer. I strike without pity or mercy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I