Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 12:02 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Contentedness thread Last post on 6/14/15 at 10:10am in Streetwear and Denim
- Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you? Last post on 8/27/14 at 4:05am in Classic Menswear
- Wearing a Sport Coat or Blazer Indoors? Last post on 9/22/11 at 12:50am in Classic Menswear
- Moving to colder, more casual environment Last post on 9/14/11 at 1:18pm in Classic Menswear
What it Means to be Made in Italy
Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Pleasures and Perils of the Long CoatLast edited: 1/12/15
- Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?Last edited: 2/9/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Official Events and PSA thread - Page 321post #4801 of 593112/31/12 at 1:42pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4802 of 593112/31/12 at 1:50pmQuote:
Unless they have a vid of the person in customs/USPS(If it was them) stealing it, you may be SOL.
What did you order?post #4803 of 593112/31/12 at 2:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by razl
I've yet to see a Cucinelli "sale" where this wasn't the case. Or, if it was, it had already been plundered by the time word got out.
edit: ps, I happen to live in an area with a Cucinelli outlet. Yep, a real bonafide Cucinelli outlet. And the prices are still seriously north of "Whoa". Even factoring in the little early love notes I get from the SAs.
Cucinelli typo humor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330552902291post #4804 of 593112/31/12 at 2:10pmpost #4805 of 593112/31/12 at 3:08pmpost #4806 of 593112/31/12 at 4:18pmpost #4807 of 593112/31/12 at 4:18pmpost #4808 of 593112/31/12 at 4:50pmpost #4809 of 593112/31/12 at 6:01pmpost #4810 of 593112/31/12 at 6:23pmQuote:
This really sucks and I hope you get a swift resolution...
on the upside, you may have inadvertently strengthened the bond between a mother and daughter by facilitating a pretty flossy X-Mas presentpost #4811 of 593112/31/12 at 8:54pm
Few requests for the recap from SFA in NYC today, so here goes.
The sale is mental. Think Warehouse Sale with fewer crappy goods overall, but less/better stock and more people, in a much smaller space.
In general, markdowns are 70% across the board, including on already marked down items. Most of the sale items are on the 9th floor, take the express elevator up if you'd like. However, there are also sale items on the 6th and 7th floors in the respective designer areas, the markdowns just generally aren't as good. I didn't spend much time on 7, but as for the...
Saks Private Label
Area with sweaters, scarves, gloves, hats, etc. all marked down to 70%
Just on the other side of this area, there is a very small spot with more gloves, hats and scarves, includes Bally hats and scarves and Dents deerskin gloves in brown, black and green, just large and extra large left
No notable RLPL markdowns (but see 9th floor recap below), lots of PRL markdowns and special items (RLX holiday sweaters, etc.), markdowns ranged from 40-70% off tagged price
Selected 40% markdowns, some beeee-you-teee-full outerwear and leather goods marked down, obviously still pricey.
Nada in the Kiton area, see 9th floor recap below
Not much in Isaia area, some 40% markdowns on a rack in between Loro Piana/Kiton/Isaia areas, see 9th floor recap below
40-70% markdowns, poor size runs in sale items
Tons and tons of outerwear on racks marked down to 50%, includes Burberry Brit & London, lots of Andrew Marc nonsense-skip, go upstairs.
Fuckin' tragedy, really. Nothing left on the sale rack except large sizes (12+) and judging from that selection, lots of ugly Bally and To Boot.
Selected markdowns at 40%. Skip and go upstairs.
Mental, plain and simple. People, clothing, dogs (yes, dogs) and hangers everywhere. Carry as little as possible in with you and dress lightly.
Straight off of the elevators, you hit Outerwear arranged on lots of poorly thought out racks. This is one of the serious highlights. European Sized outerwear is immediately on your left, think Isaia cashmere car coats, Gucci cashmere peacoats with button in cashmere quilted linings, Zegna overcoats, etc. 70% off marked price, mix of retail and intermediate markdowns. Next up, regular outerwear on tons more shittily arranged racks. Tons of RLBL leather (leather M65 jackets, shearling moto jackets (I almost kopped one), etc.), Burberry, Canali (including shearlings, furs and leather), etc. Again, 70% off.
Moving on, to the left of outerwear is suits/sportcoats (on the left from that left) and pants (on the right from that left).
Pants are another serious highlight, 70% off of marked price, lots of intermediate markdowns and lots of good stuff. Kiton, Isaia, Etro, RLPL, Zegna, Loro Piana, etc. Good mix of summer and winter weights, I kopped some beautiful Isaia wool/cashmere flannels, both 5 pockets and trousers in multiple colors, for less than $150 each. Srs.
I found the tailored items to be a bit of a disappointment, primarily because everything is fucked up sizing-wise. They put Euro 54s in the 54 section, not 44. So, the whole area was full of older women wondering why these 48 sportcoats weren't fitting their even older dude companions. Obviously, makes things hard to find because they also have actual 54s and such...but I didn't see a whole lot (bunch of hickey freeman, Saks private label, etc.) that I really wanted to chase down anyway. Those with more patience, fortitude and time than I may have better luck. Markdowns advertised as 70%, but actually varied from 40-70%.
Next up, shirting. There is a long row of dress shirting racks dividing the pants and suits/sport coats. Another serious highlight. RLPL, Isaia, Kiton, Etro, Corneliani, etc. all marked down 70%, including some intermediate markdowns. Scored a gorgeous dark tartan/plaid Keaton for less than $120. Lots of sizes, lots of selection, definite must visit.
Next up, TIES. We're now in serious diamond in the roughage. Arranged on hooks on a long, wide wall behind shirting, tie browsing is cramped and the hooks range from super low (ankle height) to above the head, so not super conducive to effective browsing. Also, there is a ton of obviously headed for Off 5th private label stuff, so be ready to "dig." However, there are Isaia 7 folds, Kiton, Corneliani, RLPL and nice Polo wool and wool blends to be found. I found that they were almost always at the very back of each hook. According to the SA, markdowns were 50-70% off of the marked price, including intermediate markdowns. I would hit ties first.
Next up, casual shit, which I didn't even bother with. Probably some good stuff there, but who knows.
#1 piece of advice-find a friendly and helpful (read: eager for the #s) SA. They will not give you bags or anything to help you shop, so pulling tons and tons of items, particularly ties, is damned near impossible-especially when you already hit outerwear. This friendly SA will horde your swag in a secret spot (the home goods area on the other side of the floor) and then you can cull from there in relative peace. I found the MacKenzie-Childs area to be an effective antidote to my out-of-control snatch and grabbing, such that I only left with a few bags, rather than a Ford Escape cab full of stuff.
#2 piece of advice-don't try anything on. The line is f'ing ridiculous and you can return anything you buy (30 days). So, if you're in NYC just buy it and return it later if needed.
#3 - things are not laid out or arranged very well. Think high end sample sale, less planned out Barney's Warehouse Sale, etc. Anything with Euro sizing was an absolute mess (see above), so keep that in mind when trying to find something.
Back to drinking. Happy new year.
please excuse any typos or other issues, posted from my phone.
Edited by RedDevil10 - 12/31/12 at 9:56pmpost #4812 of 59311/1/13 at 6:10ampost #4813 of 59311/1/13 at 7:43ampost #4814 of 59311/1/13 at 9:23am
- Official Events and PSA thread
- The Current State of Americana
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 4 minutes ago
- › RRL authenticity question! 5 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 7 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Alligator / Crocodile Shoes 10 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › Next jacket? 12 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...