or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Events and PSA thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Events and PSA thread - Page 316

post #4726 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

Which one did you get?
I got the lighter brown one, and dropped it off at my tailor tonight. let's hope he can work a miracle.
this is what i'm having done:
1) essentially de-pad the shoulders (done with me there tonight)
2) narrow the chest and waist
3) open the quarters
with that done, it should look quite nice. for less than $200 in alterations and SC cost, it's still a great deal. will wear this coat when I'm in Scotland in 2013.


I picked up the Dalmore pattern, which has subtle hints of light blue and purple. I was surprised at how much I liked the fabric when I first saw it.

Your alterations are pretty much what I have in mind as well, with the addition of letting out the sleeves a half inch. The shoulders are way too padded for my liking, but I'm happy to hear it was such an easy fix for your tailor. Would be happy to see pics of your coat, esp in it's homeland!
post #4727 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Looking forward to seeing the result. Flicks?
Was it half canvas or fused?
looked full canvas. definitely not fused, as I saw the canvas in there. sorry, I did not take photos. can try tmw AM if the tailor has not started working on it by then.
post #4728 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazaza View Post

I picked up the Dalmore pattern, which has subtle hints of light blue and purple. I was surprised at how much I liked the fabric when I first saw it.
Your alterations are pretty much what I have in mind as well, with the addition of letting out the sleeves a half inch. The shoulders are way too padded for my liking, but I'm happy to hear it was such an easy fix for your tailor. Would be happy to see pics of your coat, esp in it's homeland!
the shoulders were depadded in under a minute. EASY fix. by depadding the shoulders, you actually gain 1/3rd to 1/2 an inch, so you might not need to let the sleeves out at all.

Won't be in it's homeland for some months... will update you how it goes.

Bringing another jacket to the tailor tmw AM to use as a template to use to redo the quarters to give them more curve and shape. My tailor asked if they had any in his size, he loved the Harris tweed fabric.
post #4729 of 5786
The way I think of this SC is a $75(+tax) canvas, and see what you and your tailor can do. It's better as it is (big and somewhat boxy) to start, as basically any and all alterations can be made to shape it. Hard to shape a slim and fitted jacket if it is not the shape you'd like to start.
post #4730 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

The way I think of this SC is a $75(+tax) canvas, and see what you and your tailor can do. It's better as it is (big and somewhat boxy) to start, as basically any and all alterations can be made to shape it. Hard to shape a slim and fitted jacket if it is not the shape you'd like to start.

Great way to approach it.
Did you size down on yours? While you brought up a great point that the sleeves will likely hang lower once padding is removed, I'm worried that the shoulder will have too much overhang as well.
post #4731 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazaza View Post

Great way to approach it.
Did you size down on yours? While you brought up a great point that the sleeves will likely hang lower once padding is removed, I'm worried that the shoulder will have too much overhang as well.

regarding the shoulder overhanging once the padding is removed - this is unlikely, as the padding is not that far over, and sits right on top of the shoulder. I experienced no overhang whatsoever with the padding extracted.

do you have a good tailor? if you experience some overhang, this is fixable.

This is a cheap and easy SC to see how good your tailor is. If they can do a nice job on this jacket, they have great skills.

yes, I did size down on mine.

have you taken yours to your tailor yet? how much are they charging you for alterations, and what alterations are you having done?
post #4732 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post
3) open the quarters

 

Have you had this done before? Is it easy / inexpensive? I have a SC that has closed quarters that I'd thought about seeing if that could be done. 

post #4733 of 5786
I may need to take a pic of my Barva (oatmeal) because I think it fits quite well. I'm just not seeing these issues that you guys are bringing up. Yes, the shoulder is padded but not grotesquely so. Chest and waist is fine - no strange pulling that others have discussed. I can't imagine needing that much work done after sizing down.

Then again, maybe I just don't have an eye for this sort of thing.
post #4734 of 5786
LeatherSoul is having a clearance sale. You have to email them to ask for models in your size (I believe only EG, JL, and RTW Cleverlys are on sale). Here's what they emailed me for things around my size (9D), if you're interested.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Size 8E UK (unless otherwise noted)

JL Ashley, 4596 Last, Black Museum, 8D
JL Ashley, 4596 Last, Black Museum
JL Ashill, 7000 Last, Black Calf
JL Brentwood, 2511 Last, Parisian Brown Suede
JL Jermyn III, 8695 Last, Black Suede
JL William II, 9795 Last, Moss Green Kendal


Size 8.5E UK (unless otherwise noted)


JL Brentwood, 2511 Last, Parisian Brown Suede

EG Banbury, 202 Last, Walnut Country
EG Beaulieu, 82 Last, Burgundy, 8.5D
EG Chelsea, 82 Last, Black Calf, 8.5G
EG Dover, 606 Last, Black Calf, 8.5D
EG Shelton, 888 Last, Hazel
EG Westminster, 888 Last, Navy Suede
EG Cherwell, 82 Last, Taupe Nubuck

Size 9E UK

EG Banbury, 202 Last, Walnut Country
EG Shelton, 888 Last, Hazel
EG Westminster, 888 Last, Slate
post #4735 of 5786
888 Westminster in Navy?!?! mindblown.gif
post #4736 of 5786
Did anyone happen to catch the largest size available in the Walmart tweed? I'm thinking my father might like to have one but I'm pretty sure he wears a 50-something and Framingham is a bit of a hike for me.
post #4737 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloVance View Post

I may need to take a pic of my Barva (oatmeal) because I think it fits quite well. I'm just not seeing these issues that you guys are bringing up. Yes, the shoulder is padded but not grotesquely so. Chest and waist is fine - no strange pulling that others have discussed. I can't imagine needing that much work done after sizing down.
Then again, maybe I just don't have an eye for this sort of thing.
I have the barva. I sized down one, and wanted to size down two, but they did not have my size at the store I went to.

The shoulder padding is not 80s-esque, but as a former Rugby player, I have big shoulders, and need no padding.

are your quarters open?

Please do add / post photos.
post #4738 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongeorge1 View Post

Did anyone happen to catch the largest size available in the Walmart tweed? I'm thinking my father might like to have one but I'm pretty sure he wears a 50-something and Framingham is a bit of a hike for me.
they have that
post #4739 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

LeatherSoul is having a clearance sale. You have to email them to ask for models in your size (I believe only EG, JL, and RTW Cleverlys are on sale). Here's what they emailed me for things around my size (9D), if you're interested. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Size 8E UK (unless otherwise noted)
JL Ashley, 4596 Last, Black Museum, 8D
JL Ashley, 4596 Last, Black Museum
JL Ashill, 7000 Last, Black Calf
JL Brentwood, 2511 Last, Parisian Brown Suede
JL Jermyn III, 8695 Last, Black Suede
JL William II, 9795 Last, Moss Green Kendal


Size 8.5E UK (unless otherwise noted)

JL Brentwood, 2511 Last, Parisian Brown Suede
EG Banbury, 202 Last, Walnut Country
EG Beaulieu, 82 Last, Burgundy, 8.5D
EG Chelsea, 82 Last, Black Calf, 8.5G
EG Dover, 606 Last, Black Calf, 8.5D
EG Shelton, 888 Last, Hazel
EG Westminster, 888 Last, Navy Suede
EG Cherwell, 82 Last, Taupe Nubuck
Size 9E UK
EG Banbury, 202 Last, Walnut Country
EG Shelton, 888 Last, Hazel
EG Westminster, 888 Last, Slate
what were the prices like?
post #4740 of 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post


what were the prices like?

Would be interested to know too

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Events and PSA thread