or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Events and PSA thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Events and PSA thread - Page 312

post #4666 of 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Harris Tweed is one of the more popular tweed makers. I'm not sure of the construction of the jacket, but if that is really Harris Tweed it is a steal.

I called around and found a store near me (North Brunswick, NJ on Rt 1). 3 different patterns, side vents, plastic buttons, I found S, R, and L lengths. Fabric was excellent, and I would have possibly bought all 3 patterns if the fit didn't suck. I couldn't find a single size that fit me in the shoulders. I'm usually a pretty reliable 40R, but the 40Rs had a big divot between the shoulder padding and my actual shoulder/arm. Oddly enough, both the 42R and 38R fit me better in the shoulders which makes no damn sense. All sizes had a weird wrinkle in the fabric running from my right shoulder towards my chest. My hunch is the left didn't have it due to the added weight of the breast pocket.

The fabric was really nice though! I bet they tried a new manufacturer to make the SCs and they messed up a dimension or something. Rather than write off the whole thing they added plastic buttons and dumped them on Walmart. It seems like the angle between the end of the shoulder and the bottom of the armpit is off or something. I have 2 SCs at the tailor now and I really don't want to deal with another tailoring bill so I passed. If you can get a good fit in the shoulders OTR with these they really are a steal and you should consider grabbing all 3.
post #4667 of 5772
Forgive the ignorance, but I usually manage to miss all the good sales each year - will the Barney's sale be ongoing? Will there be more drops on other G&G models?
post #4668 of 5772
Nice pair of Vass oxfords on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221159504538?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I traded emails with the seller and got her to take a few more pictures. She doesn't know much about them and has them listed as R last, but based on pics I'd say U last. Anyway, great price on a very nice pair of shoes. I've got no skin in this one, just figured someone might be interested...
post #4669 of 5772
My Boglioli jacket showed up from threedifferent today. It's from the "COAT" line. Ordered Friday, shipped Monday. The flash is making it look more pink. True color is a dark burgundy (for reference the shirt is blue). Fabric is great, fit is the same as the other COAT jacket I ordered from Yoox, maybe a touch shorter, although it could just be that this one needs to be pressed. For $160 total, I'm very pleased and will keep an eye out for more of these.

post #4670 of 5772
Barney's has a pair of Phillip II in 8.5US
post #4671 of 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post

full or half canvassed?

post #4672 of 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Barney's has a pair of Phillip II in 8.5US

Suede, correct?
post #4673 of 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloRLOw View Post

full or half canvassed?

It feels completely unstructured; so If I had to guess, I'd say neither. Someone with more knowledge of the COAT line would have to weigh in for a definitive answer.
post #4674 of 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

I called around and found a store near me (North Brunswick, NJ on Rt 1). 3 different patterns, side vents, plastic buttons, I found S, R, and L lengths. Fabric was excellent, and I would have possibly bought all 3 patterns if the fit didn't suck. I couldn't find a single size that fit me in the shoulders. I'm usually a pretty reliable 40R, but the 40Rs had a big divot between the shoulder padding and my actual shoulder/arm. Oddly enough, both the 42R and 38R fit me better in the shoulders which makes no damn sense. All sizes had a weird wrinkle in the fabric running from my right shoulder towards my chest. My hunch is the left didn't have it due to the added weight of the breast pocket.
The fabric was really nice though! I bet they tried a new manufacturer to make the SCs and they messed up a dimension or something. Rather than write off the whole thing they added plastic buttons and dumped them on Walmart. It seems like the angle between the end of the shoulder and the bottom of the armpit is off or something. I have 2 SCs at the tailor now and I really don't want to deal with another tailoring bill so I passed. If you can get a good fit in the shoulders OTR with these they really are a steal and you should consider grabbing all 3.

Drove about 20 minutes tonight to the Walmart in union, nj and found a good selection of Harris tweed. The coats are cut pretty full - I basically ended up sizing down from 42R to 40R for a slimmer fit. I did not notice any of the fit issues that Fred mentioned.

I picked up the Barva - the oatmeal/tan coat with double vents and leather buttons. The tweed is lovely.People keep mentioning Bangladesh, but the inner tag clearly states that the fabric was woven in Scotland while the coat was made in China. Which sounds about the same as the Harris tweed j. Crew was selling for $600.

I went looking for the green/ brown coat with rainbow windowpane. If anyone is interested in a swap or would be willing to pick it up and ship, please let me now.

The fabrics look great. Construction looks pretty good too. I don't think you can beat $75 for a Harris tweed. My advice would be to avoid tailoring fees, consider sizing down.

Final point - nothing can really prepare you for Walmart. So just take a deep breath and just jump right in.
post #4675 of 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfadam View Post

Nice pair of Vass oxfords on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221159504538?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
I traded emails with the seller and got her to take a few more pictures. She doesn't know much about them and has them listed as R last, but based on pics I'd say U last. Anyway, great price on a very nice pair of shoes. I've got no skin in this one, just figured someone might be interested...

 

U last. Price is more expensive than forum proxies let along Vass itself.

post #4676 of 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post

My Boglioli jacket showed up from threedifferent today. It's from the "COAT" line. Ordered Friday, shipped Monday. The flash is making it look more pink. True color is a dark burgundy (for reference the shirt is blue). Fabric is great, fit is the same as the other COAT jacket I ordered from Yoox, maybe a touch shorter, although it could just be that this one needs to be pressed. For $160 total, I'm very pleased and will keep an eye out for more of these.
looks great.
post #4677 of 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloRLOw View Post

full or half canvassed?

 

unstructured, fabric self-lining, minimal/light chest/shoulder canvass.  no shoulder pads, unlined.

 

have the same one and need to sell a size 52.

post #4678 of 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Paul Stuart sale started. some nice shoes on sale. looks like AS and Silvano Sassetti
http://www.paulstuart.com/category_template_viewall.cfm?MainCatId=14&ProdCatId=1056&SubProdCatId=2100&headermenuid=1

Good prices. I was hoping for the GG models to go down though.
post #4679 of 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Good prices. I was hoping for the GG models to go down though.

btw, the guys at NYC barneys were generous enough to send the G&Gs with expedited shipping. received them today.. kinda. wasnt home to sign

-_-
post #4680 of 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

Is Harris Tweed a good brand?

Pretty sure I know where these came from. They were in the Harris Tweed documentary on BBC. Produced by the tens of thousands, but never sold. Hence the cheap price. Generously cut and possibly poor construction.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Events and PSA thread