• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweaters?

BareSolid

Reaction score
OK, so where can I get good v-neck sweaters that fit well? I am in Britain (so I use the word 'sweater' solely on this forum and a raisther different word in real life) and know nothing about this garment, as I have never bought one. The last time I wore one was as part of my primary school uniform.

I think I want v-neck. I am not sure about the various materials. What is the difference between merino, lambswool and cashmere and which is best? Where can I shop (online, perhaps?) to get these things?

Thanks.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
You are in luck as Britain produces the best knits in the world. Look for made in scotland sweaters. Get cashmere if you can afford it. Try a bunch on before buying. You could even visit hawick where the mills are and probably get them for cheap. Search scottish sweaters on here and on ask andy forum.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumpers chap!...You mean Jumpers, dont you?

Anyway, cashmere is the finest (of the three you mention) but is probably the most delicate (not necessaily delicate, but relative to the other two). Lambswool will have the hardest hand, and Merino in between. A decent merino will not break your pocket book and will serve you fine enough for layering and your daily use.

Cashmere will be the warmest of the three.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's a rather broad question.... Personally, I find these types of sweaters indispensable, and use them ALL the time.

I'd recommend:
1. Fabric - Something with a decent amount of cashmere, or pure cashmere over wool. Wool's not terrible, but cashmere is nicer and if you're only going to have a few, why not enjoy them. Merino’s not too bad, a good starting point.
2. Collar - I prefer V-neck over crewneck, just gives more options at the neckline
3. Price & Quality - There's a range of styles, qualities and makes. Anything from $50 at H&M to $400 at RL and beyond... as usual, you generally do get what you pay for. Personally though, I think most stuff at under $100 is mediocre at best, and there’s no reason to pay full retail for anything over $200 or so. Probably about $100-150 is the right place to start. Ralph Lauren Polo or Black Label makes some very nice ones.
4. Colors – depends on what you’re wearing them with (jeans or a suit), your skin-tone, eyes, etc, and also time of year… my basic go-to one is a light grey, and navy. Then I’d add something like a burgundy or dark orange, and then for summer, something like a light pastel blue or yellow…

BareSolid

Reaction score
Pakeman Catto and Carter cashmere jumpers are £135 and made from Scotch cashmere. When one says that cashmere is the warmest, does that mean that I will boil if I enter a warmer place?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the thickness of the sweater. Thin is best for wearing under a jacket while you can get thicker ones for wearing as the outer layer, like the chunky fisherman's sweaters it seems everyone's been going crazy over lately.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in UK, probably you can find easily John Smedley on sale. There are currently many Smedley Sea Island cotton or merinos wool sweaters on ebay UK (from last year collections) for around 30-40 quid. I bought 3 last month (cotton cardigan, crew and v-neck). Excellent price/quality. And I've paid before 4 times this price for cotton or wool Cucinelli, Loro Piana, Borrelli .. it does not make sense.
Otherwise I really like the Italian cashmere from Cucinelli, Avon Celli, Della Ciana, Malo,etc. but cannot justify another 400+ USD for a sweater...

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Pakeman Catto and Carter cashmere jumpers are £135 and made from Scotch cashmere. When one says that cashmere is the warmest, does that mean that I will boil if I enter a warmer place?

Some of this depends on how you intend to wear it.

I'll wear sweaters on their own. With a shirt underneath. Under a jacket. Or even with a heavy winter coat. The weather decides on heavy versus light plus all the other options.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. I wear the cotton jumpers/sweaters inside/office during the winter, the ones in wool are too warm sometimes. Most John Smedley wool sweaters are lightweight and they come in various fits.

Current John Smedley cotton range

See link1
!BcWYVDQ!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKi0Eq5PvHZ)iBK0J-OMr5!~~_35.JPG

Link2

!Bc,7THQ!mk~$(KGrHqYH-DwEqusu!TVJBK0es8l3Vg~~_35.JPG

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally prefer wool to cotton, unless it's a sweatshirt, but that's totally different.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
All depends on what you intend to wear them with. If with a jacket and (potentially) tie then V-neck is really the way to go. If more casual I would recommend the 'roadster' style from Loro Piana - I have a few of these and they are very versatile and look great

In terms of fabric I would always go with casmere (just vary the weight for season and purpose). Lots of good brands - Loro Piana is my go-to, but equally impressed by Cuccinelli, et al. Also like the look of Drake's new v-necks; might have to give them a try

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smedley at discount are definitely worth the price. I own quite a few Sea Island Cotton and Merino Wool V-Necks and they still feel and fit great after many wears / washes.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Is there no consensus on this? Some are saying only cashmere, others are saying 'sea island' cotton and others 'merino wool'. I am very sure I want long-sleeve v-necks, so which online outlet can I find good oens at a good price? It is not my intention to wear them under sports jackets (it's just not my style; if I'm wearing a sports jacket I'll not wear a jumper).

Colt_Seavers

Reaction score
S others have mentioned, have a look at John Smedley. If you're close to London they have a dedicated store just off Bond Street, and Selfridges carry a huge range too.

I have bought many John Smedley jumpers over the years and found them to be excellent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads