• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

caring for vintage shoes...

JordanH.

Reaction score
Hello, all. I just got some vintage shoes off eBay and am not sure how to care for them. I know some of the members here buy vintage shoes and wondered exactly what you do to keep your shoes in good shape. I was thinking that I should clean and put leather conditioner on them and maybe leather lotion afterward. Then, maybe some shoe cream or wax every few wears. What do you think about this?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Leather cleaner/conditioner is probably a good idea, followed by some shoe cream and then wax. But how is the condition of the leather at the moment? Is there a huge buildup of wax on the upper? Is the upper dry or cracking? How are the soles? All of these things need to be taken into consideration. If the soles are falling apart, for instance, you can get the shoes resoled and reconditioned at the same time.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Don't wear them, LOL

j/k
wink.gif

myke

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Depends on leather, their condition.. etc. Would you post some pictures, so I can give some ideas..

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanH.
Then, maybe some shoe cream or wax every few wears. What do you think about this?

I assume, by this comment, that you have these only as a collector/for display and not to wear.

JordanH.

Reaction score
No, I plan on wearing them. I went to the post office to pick them up but the carrier had left by then. They should be here later on today at around 3.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I plan on wearing them. I went to the post office to pick them up but the carrier had left by then. They should be here later on today at around 3.

Sorry Jordan. Guess I need new glasses. When I quoted you, I thought you said cream and wax every few YEARS
laugh.gif
thus my question.

So, yeah... condition and then treat like you would any good shoe.

How vintage are we talking?

JordanH.

Reaction score
thanks for that bit on info, apropos. how many coats do you think will give me the greatest benefit?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for that bit on info, apropos. how many coats do you think will give me the greatest benefit?
Coat, let the conditioner dry and haze over, then buff - rinse and repeat. I do it 3 times on all shoes I purchase - I cannot speak for your vintage shoes. If you have a pair of modern-make shoe that has leather that feels just 'right' to you, you could attempt, with repeated conditioning (interspersed with paste and wax), to reach that level of suppleness.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They seem to be in good condition. Personally, I would wipe down the interior with antibacterial wipes first. Clean them thoroughly and apply two coats of conditioner at least 8 hours apart.

Then I may bring it to a professional for a change of heel and edge dressing before applying a layer of polish, but that's just me.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am wrong but with a pair of older shoes like the old Kenmoors (or Nettletons),
I would be inclined to apply leather lotion a little more often than I would on a new pair of shoes,
especially around the crease area (top & sides) just to ensure maximum flexibility and decrease chances of cracking.
The leather on the older Kenmoors of this vintage will be stiff, but with love and care they should prove to be fine for many years yet. Great shoes. I'm sure you'll enjoy them immensely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads