or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gardening
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gardening

post #1 of 133
Thread Starter 
Does anybody here grow vegetables?

My wife and I just planted this years "crop". Hopefully we will get something to eat. Anybody have any tips on developing a green thumb?
post #2 of 133
hopefully you're lucky enough to have good soil. the soil around my house is quite sandy and my dad had to work on it for years (compost, etc) to get things growing nicely.
post #3 of 133
Ever since I moved in my condo, Iv wanted to have a bunch of jasmine outside, but instead of diving right in I got a bunch of cheap $4-8 plants at Target so I could get the hang of not killing them. Only a few have died so far.
post #4 of 133
2 years ago I planted a very nice garden,but lost everything to gophers and squirels. very frustrating.
post #5 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter
2 years ago I planted a very nice garden,but lost everything to gophers and squirels. very frustrating.

thats when you get out the pellet gun and snipe those fools.
post #6 of 133
I grow cucumbers from seed every once in a while. It's fun and I love to eat cucumbers. I have some going now that are taking off. I had to thin them out today, which I hate doing heheh. Sending so many poor helpless cuke plants to their deaths in the trash can just because they aren't as tall as their brothers.
post #7 of 133
Potatoes and onions here in the north.
post #8 of 133
Tomatoes in several shapes and colors, radishes, sorrel, various herbs (thyme, basil, rosemary, parsley, dill, oregano, tarragon, mint, some from seed). So far, pretty good luck with the wild life, they keep off from year to year. I try not to overextend myself, I only do what I think I can maintain, especially because weeds will invade in 24 hours. Later in the year, I'll try mache for the first time.
post #9 of 133
bumping this thread, im starting a container garden on my deck this year... so far planted 3 types of peas and cilantro
planting carrots next week
followed by peppers, tomatoes, herbs in may

my peas are finally coming up... the sticks are basically going to be used as stakes for the vines

post #10 of 133
^Awesome. I've got a couple planters on my balcony right now. Nothing major, but a couple varieties of heirloom tomatoes and basil. Having fresh tomatoes and basil all summer long is going to make me a happy camper.
post #11 of 133
Mrs. Piob had this delivered, just before vacation: http://www.earthbox.com/index.php Will be heirloom tomatoes, cilantro, and I know not what else.
post #12 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne View Post
Tomatoes in several shapes and colors, radishes, sorrel, various herbs (thyme, basil, rosemary, parsley, dill, oregano, tarragon, mint, some from seed). So far, pretty good luck with the wild life, they keep off from year to year. I try not to overextend myself, I only do what I think I can maintain, especially because weeds will invade in 24 hours. Later in the year, I'll try mache for the first time.

That's awesome. Where do you live? I would be nice to have the climate to keep all that stuff growing year-round. I've at times wondered about getting an indoor greenhouse so that at the very least I could keep fresh basil and thyme going year-round.
post #13 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
That's awesome. Where do you live? I would be nice to have the climate to keep all that stuff growing year-round. I've at times wondered about getting an indoor greenhouse so that at the very least I could keep fresh basil and thyme going year-round.

Check out the Aerogarden. We've had one for a couple of years now. Perfect for growing indoor herbs.
post #14 of 133
Just basil and cherry tomatoes, I don't do much in the way of edibles.

I do plan to re-do our courtyard as a tropical, balinese/Timorese garden.

I planted some kangaroo paw and jacarandas last month - we'll see how they do in Zone 9.
post #15 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
Does anybody here grow vegetables?

My wife and I just planted this years "crop". Hopefully we will get something to eat. Anybody have any tips on developing a green thumb?

Kiss a hippie. I can recommend you some if you find your self short on candidates.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Gardening