• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HBO Documentary on the Garment industry

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did anyone see the HBO documentary on the garment industry in the USA.

I knew a couple of the people interviewed.
very sad to see a once vibrant industry destroyed, not by innovation, but by greed and political agendas.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't, but the documentary sounds very interesting.
frown.gif
EDIT: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2009/...-labor-unions/ ^ I assume that was the documentary right?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched it. It was generally interesting but honestly rather poorly done.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most Western European countries have lost their shoe and textile industries a long time ago when they did move to Portugal and Spain to start with and Turkey or China.

It is a sad state of affair. Only the upmarket brands still have some locally produced garnments and even these last bastions are in danger of being delocalised.

As long as the average Joe , Pedro , John or Jean-Francois are looking for cheaply made suits or shirts at bargain prices, there is no chance for the last companies to survive outside the niche luxury markets.

Dudufrias

Reaction score
Aren't Spain and Portugal in Western Europe?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who missed this on TV, here is a link to download it.
http://www.filestube.com/661bc8eccb2b9fda03e9/go.html
It took 18 hours to download over here but was worth it.
Can be played on any computer with VLC Media PLayer.
Ofcourse if you can buy the video that is better.
To Admin: Hoping this link was not in violation of any rules, if so, please delete this post,
or notify me and I will edit out the link. Apologies in advance if applicable.

mccvi

Reaction score
c ~ thanks for the post, i would have missed it.

Star

Reaction score
I was in a department store today during my lunch break and was amused to read on the kneck tag of a Lacoste shirt: Designed in France, Made in China. Who are they kidding?

columbia92

Reaction score
Isn't this the way it is for just about every industry for last 50 years or so?? Manufacturing jobs move oversea to cheaper wage nation. About 80% of all the consumder goods we buy these days are made in China and there is no turning back the trend...

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by columbia92
Manufacturing jobs move oversea to cheaper wage nation. About 80% of all the consumder goods we buy these days are made in China and there is no turning back the trend...

No turning back? Sure there is. Stop shopping at Wal-Mart and start paying full retail on domestic-made goods.

No?

Didn't think so.

smile.gif

columbia92

Reaction score
The question is.... why do we want to continue to over pay and support jobs and industry that is no longer competitive globally?? Jobs have been lost oversea for the past 50 years but the unemployeement ratio has pretty much stayed the same except during this recession. It's more important to re-educate workers and put them in use in industries where US is still competitive....

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only reason the employment rate has stayed low is they keep revising the method. That's part of the reason the U6 was intially invented.

If the employment rate was really low like they claimed for the last 30 years real wages would have gone up.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
I was in a department store today during my lunch break and was amused to read on the kneck tag of a Lacoste shirt: Designed in France, Made in China. Who are they kidding?

The tag clearly reads "Designed in France, Made in China". Why the beef?

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star

A little more honest than the "Made in Italy" ones which really mean "Assembled in China then shipped to Italy to have the tag sewn in"...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads