• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sorry, but I don't work here...

IBJanky

Reaction score
Does this ever happen to you?

It never fails... whenever I go browsing around at a store (Nordstrom's, Banana Republic, etc.) at the mall, people always come up to me and ask me questions like I work there.

Wth?

Maybe I should start dressing in ripped jeans and an Ed Hardy t-shirt instead to avoid confusion in the future
wink.gif

myke

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never happens to me. Probably because I am either wearing outerwear or carrying my briefcase. Or both.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
It's because everyone knows that a man wearing cowboy boots can't possibly work for clothing boutique.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
It's because everyone knows that a man wearing cowboy boots can't possibly work for clothing boutique.

That too. yeeeeee haw
2407.gif

6448.gif

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Make sure you keep track of how often this happens - it's 1 iGent point per occurrence. If someone mistakes you for a security guard it's worth 2 iGent points.

satorstyle

Reaction score
It used to irritate me, but now I actually take it as a compliment.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It happens to me when I'm shopping in a suit. I'm not bothered by it as I've mistaken others for sales associates, too. It's a mistake that's often easy to make.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
It used to irritate me, but now I actually take it as a compliment.

I'm still at the irritation phase I guess...

myke

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it happens. Once it happened twice on the same visit to Bergdorf Goodman. I think it was because it was a fairly cold day and I did not have an overcoat on. I took it as a compliment.

coltboy75

Reaction score
It has happened to me, I usually try to give advice since the fellow behind the counter looks like he has no clue.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has happened to me a few times. I usually like to keep the charade going for as long as I can. Gets tricky come check out time, best to hand them off to a real salesperson at that point.

It actually happened to me yesterday at my club. My wife and I were getting ready to hit the cardio when I discovered that our two machines didn't have headphones. So I walked up to the service desk to get us some headphones. Right as I handed a set to my wife, the lady on the next machine over from my wife (who didn't speak english) started eagerly motioning to me that she needed some headphones as well. I guess she thought I was my wife's trainer or something. My wife started laughing and said "oh he doesn't work here" but the lady didn't understand, so I just walked back up there and got her a set.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've told this here before, but it's worth re-telling. A guy approached me in Filene's and said "Can you show me where your suspenders are?" I said "Sure" and opened my jacket to show him. He just smiled and stood there, after about 10 seconds he said "Ohh... you... don't... work... here?"
I've had women approach me and ask about pairing ties with shirts or advice on shirts. I just help them and it's always fun when they finally figure out I don't work at the store. I mean I don't try to ring them up or anything. Still, I'm probably owed some commissions now that I think about it.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
it does happen every once in awhile but i try to have fun with it.

i go with the customer to help out. i try to answer his/her questions to the best of my knowledge and dont really let them know i am not a sales rep until at the last moment when i have to leave.

it can be fun.

That gives me an idea... I'll do that next time and see how far i can take it
devil.gif

I'll let you guys know how it goes
biggrin.gif

myke

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you have that damned salesman look on your face. I wish i had a gentler way of putting this through but i don't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics