• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How fitted should a suit jacket be?

exbanker

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post. I am thinking about going to a tailor to get some of my suit jackets tailored so they are more fitted around the waist, for a more european style look. My body is pretty slim so I thought this would look better for me. In any case, I am wondering how tight the suit jacket should be? Does it need to look flat in the front or can it have breaks? Thanks.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it should feel natural and comfortable. Dont get it taken in to much to be en vogue, but make it slim enough to where it looks like it fits.

wetnose

Reaction score
If you button the jacket and you see horizontal creases spread from the button, you've gone too far.

IBJanky

Reaction score
It should feel like a warm hug... but not too tight of a hug
biggrin.gif
myke

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trend these days seem to encourage an mild "x" when fully buttoned up. In my book, you would be better off with a flatter fit and a natural look at least where professional business settings are concerned. You can have the sides tapered in the waist if you are of athletic build. Concentrate instead on having the shoulders fit properly, attaining the right overall length and preventing the chest piece bulging awkwardly because of an ultra tight fit.

Corniche

Reaction score
I say to me tailor when I can´t breath, the jacket is ok. Only 2 fingers can go in on the chest.

I´m european of course. And those X are not bad at all...

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corniche
I say to me tailor when I can´t breath, the jacket is ok. Only 2 fingers can go in on the chest.

If only my American tailors were European, so many arguments would not have to take place....

*sigh*

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tightness is not acceptable. Remember, waist suppression is possible without even a hint of tightness:
mim8uo.jpg

sammy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Tightness is not acceptable. Remember, waist suppression is possible without even a hint of tightness:
mim8uo.jpg

+1

super

Reaction score
i heard a good rule is that if u can fit no more than a fist worth, then it's about right.

Taxler

Reaction score
My rule is that you should be able to wear a medium weight sweater under the jacket and still not feel constricted.

exbanker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corniche

this sounds good to me. i have been told that it should look flat but have seen many instances where slight creases occur.

thanks all.

superfans124

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
If you button the jacket and you see horizontal creases spread from the button, you've gone too far.

I personally go for exactly that, if there's no creases at the button, there's still room for improvement...but that's just me.

MrBon

Reaction score
I don't like a clinging, pulling look, i like my suit jacket to drape my body... yet fitted and tailored to be contoured with my body at the standing position. I like my jackets to wear/fall on my body unrestricted, i wanna look like i'm wearing the jacket, not like the jacket is wearing me.

Look at Vincent Kartheiser in the photo... http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleri...mpbell-ep3.php

http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleri...e-pete-ep9.php

Jon Hamm...
http://www.tv.com/mad-men/show/74140...01&tag=;viewer

http://www.tv.com/mad-men/show/74140...01&tag=;viewer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads