or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › cheap lee 101z off ebay - fake selvage?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

cheap lee 101z off ebay - fake selvage?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
just had these delivered today, fit's ok, slimmer than the other jeans i'm wearing at the moment ('55 blueblood and ye olde jap evisu):



but check out the fuzzy selvage - i remember reading about this on sup. talk a while back and i think the general consensus was it was fake, produced by stitching a section of selvage look cloth down the middle of wide loom denim:



oh yeah, the patch is hand painted from what i can tell, and the back pockets are half lined, and fookin massive.

anyway, for £15 shipped i'm not really complaining.
post #2 of 26
Whether or not they're fake those look hella cool. I like that back patch a lot and the red stitching is stallion. Looks like you could smuggle small children in the back pockets, does it have the Lee wave on it?
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Whether or not they're fake those look hella cool. I like that back patch a lot and the red stitching is stallion. Looks like you could smuggle small children in the back pockets, does it have the Lee wave on it?

yeah, its got the lazy s in black stitching, with contrast red and white stitching:

they also came with a tag saying it's dry denim and will shrink if not dry cleaned (101z sanforized tho??) and another tag warning of colour transfer. dunno if they're gonna shrink, i could lose an inch or two in the waist and maybe inseam, but they're pretty snug on my thighs already. i might take a hot bath with em on and see what happens.
post #4 of 26
those are authentic, that's how the selvedge on many Lee's look like and I have seen that exact pair in store. I would also bet a lot of money that they are sanforized, like everything I have. Dont worry.
post #5 of 26
Awesome jeans. Yum!
post #6 of 26
Yeah those are real (limited), pretty awesome. I regret not buying them on sale. Anyhow, lots of Lees have that kind half-selvage.
post #7 of 26
I like the look of that half-selvedge! Very intriguing--how do they do it? Don't really like the huge back pockets but the red stitching really calls out to me. Nice work, for 15 pounds at that.
post #8 of 26
that's the selvedge from a modern wide loom.
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by horriblyjollyjinx
that's the selvedge from a modern wide loom.

that's what i figured, but is it actually the edge of the denim? or have they put a selvedge looking strip down the middle of the sheet (twice as wide with two yellow lines if you get my drift) and just cut down it?

what's odd is that selvedge is there to stop fabric fraying (self-edge right?), so why would a manufacturer then fray it if not for the above reason?
post #10 of 26
wow. those are a great fitting pair of jeans. congrats on the find
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalid
that's what i figured, but is it actually the edge of the denim? or have they put a selvedge looking strip down the middle of the sheet (twice as wide with two yellow lines if you get my drift) and just cut down it?

what's odd is that selvedge is there to stop fabric fraying (self-edge right?), so why would a manufacturer then fray it if not for the above reason?

It is the edge of the denim bolt. Wide loom selvage looks more like a canvas weave than a twill weave, and has the frayed edges.

I agree with the statements above that the jeans look very nice, and half selvage is great. I prefer shuttle selvage personally.
post #12 of 26
What is going to prevent those jeans from fraying to the seem? It looks as if they will easily fray.
post #13 of 26
the selvage is actually woven to stop fraying where it is. i have a pair of old levis lot 54(?) that have full selvage like that. they dont fray at all. you could actually just take some scissors and cut the loose ends off and it will look like regular shuttle loom selvage.
post #14 of 26
Huh... Good to know.
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD
It is the edge of the denim bolt. Wide loom selvage looks more like a canvas weave than a twill weave, and has the frayed edges.

I agree with the statements above that the jeans look very nice, and half selvage is great. I prefer shuttle selvage personally.

Wide loom selvedge has nothing to do with the the type of weave. It can be woven just like shuttle loom selvedge into 3x1, 2x1, broken twill or plain weave (1x1). The weave is just a result of choosing the sequence of the passing warp & weft threads.

Those Lee's are left-hand twill - you can make that type of twill also on shuttle looms.

The frayed edges is because it's woven on a modern loom which does not have a shuttle to move the weft fabric back and forth, creating the smooth finished edge. In fact the fringe would be a lot longer, except it's automatically trimmed by a cutting attachment on the loom. They won't fray anymore than what you can see in the photos.

Those Lee's are very nice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › cheap lee 101z off ebay - fake selvage?