Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any bretheren of the briar on here?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any bretheren of the briar on here?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
So my latest addiction is building up a pipe collection, even though I've never actually smoked a pipe before. I've alway wanted to as I have many fond memories of my uncle smoking a pipe and have always loved the smell. I ran the idea past my future wife (in 2 weeks!) and she is really liked the idea.

Anyone else have care to share their personal preferences/suggestions for pipes/tobacco?
post #2 of 12
I just smoke cigars myself, I'll pick up pipes later in my life. But this site is a good primer for pipe smoking http://www.growingshade.com/tobactypes.html and this http://com4.runboard.com/btheglobalpipesmokersforum is a pipe smoking forum. Best of luck.
post #3 of 12
Did the pipe thing in law school--the only thing I seem to have mastered was ruining a number of great chinos and shirts----pipe tobacco embers will nail you--cigar ash, on the other hand, is cool by the time you screw up and drop a load on your lap.
post #4 of 12
I have four pipes. I smoke almost exclusively English blends, Dunhill no. 965 being my mainstay, with some natural Virginias tossed in there.

I smoke cigars too, but I love pipes because they don't require the "attention" that cigars do. What I mean is, when I smoke a cigar I am almost arrested by its flavor and it occupies me; a pipe, on the other hand, is a wonderful accompaniment when something else requires your full attention. Pipes are less "demanding."
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Martin
Anyone else have care to share their personal preferences/suggestions for pipes/tobacco?

Some friends living near our Summer house in Cargese are moving inland. They bought an old property in the garrigue near Vico. One of the buildings on the property was used to produce pipes.

Vico is the former center of the once famous briar pipe industry in Corsica.


________________________________________
post #6 of 12
I used to smoke a pipe from time to time, but decided to "get healthy"...

Still love the smell.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
...a pipe, on the other hand, is a wonderful accompaniment when something else requires your full attention. Pipes are less "demanding."

This is interesting Mr. Appleby as I have heard the contrary. I have smoked a few stogies, but probably not great enough quality to become enraptured by them. I am excited to try the pipe with it's different complexities as compared to cigars though.

Although I've heard many differences in opinion regarding aromatics vs. non-aromatics, I'm still going to try the aromatics for now. Supposedly they are not the best tobacco for beginners though as they do require careful packing/smoking due to the moisture/high heat.

My first TAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder) resulted in 50g tins of Petersons Sunset Breeze, Dan Blue Note, and Penzance by Esoterica Tobacciana- all of which will be breaking in my Stanwell HCA.
post #8 of 12
Ummm- what kind of pipes???
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Some friends living near our Summer house in Cargese are moving inland. They bought an old property in the garrigue near Vico. One of the buildings on the property was used to produce pipes.

Vico is the former center of the once famous briar pipe industry in Corsica.


________________________________________


That's awesome!
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Martin
This is interesting Mr. Appleby as I have heard the contrary. I have smoked a few stogies, but probably not great enough quality to become enraptured by them. I am excited to try the pipe with it's different complexities as compared to cigars though.
I think different is just the word. To use a somewhat strained analogy, a pipe is like a Classical string quartet concerto, whereas a cigar is more like a Romantic piano piece.

Be warned, though: it's going to take a few bowls (probably 6 to 8) before you get some good caking going on in a new pipe and really bring out the subtleties of the blend.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
...
________________________________________

yeah, that's a great looking little building. i'd love to be able to pick up the family and spend the summer in a place like that.

---

i have a couple pipes, one a briar and one a meerschaum. the meerschaum is unused. i bought it about 6 years ago in istanbul. the briar i bought maybe 10 years ago, in one of those (US) mall shops like 'the humidor'. i haven't smoked it in years, but i enjoy looking at it on the shelf.

/andrew
post #12 of 12
I will occasionally smoke my pipe, although I haven't been able to find my favorite tobacco locally since the tinderbox near my house closed. If you can find it, or order it online, I'd highly reccomend Benjamin Hartwell Evening Stroll. Its one of the most pleasing aromatics I've ever encountered. My pipe is almost exactly like this one. I believe its called a "half bent large billiard"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Any bretheren of the briar on here?