or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thick and heavy Tweed roll call
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thick and heavy Tweed roll call

post #1 of 128
Thread Starter 
Just wanted to ask if anyone still wears this sort of heavy thorn-proof etc. tweed that is so nicely unfit for any modern office, so impractical in modern society? Today it snowed/rained here (maybe had about 3-1°C, I'd say) and I wore only a shirt, a cashmere scarf and a heavy tweed jacket (+ trousers&shoes-gloves etc of course) and was quite comfortable when quickly hied myself to the bank and the local grocery store. It was some really ghastly weather today and I spent the rest of the day in deep solitary contemplation, reading and dedicating myself to my various studies, at home..

Share your tweed stories and adventures here if you'd be so kind!
post #2 of 128
I like my tweed thick enough to stop a bullet.
post #3 of 128
21oz. London Lounge Brown Herringbone 3 piece Tweed suit by Lovat Mill


What better way to wear tweed than with a Gaziano & Girling Thorpe Boot
post #4 of 128
~22oz tweed, described by the weaver, Butt of Lewis tweeds, as follows:

"I have just made this new Tweed, from 100% wool, the weft contains 4 thin threads twisted together to make a beautiful strong heavier Tweed. I don't know if you ever bought the traditional heavy Harris Tweed, which is so scarce now, I would say that it is similar to that."



Action shots:


With bonus tweed hat:


DAMN this thing keeps me warm! I can only imagine how nice and warm Michael's 3pc would be on a bloody cold Finnish winter's day..
post #5 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329 View Post
21oz. London Lounge Brown Herringbone 3 piece Tweed suit by Lovat Mill


What better way to wear tweed than with a Gaziano & Girling Thorpe Boot

Do you even remember what the cold feels like?
post #6 of 128
Thread Starter 
Thanks for those great pics, both! (gshen: excellent colour and structure there but sleeves seem a bit short (?)...)
post #7 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329 View Post
21oz. London Lounge Brown Herringbone 3 piece Tweed suit by Lovat Mill


What better way to wear tweed than with a Gaziano & Girling Thorpe Boot
Ay, out of curiosity, why do you get your waistcoats like that? I ask because I've not seen that sort often.
post #8 of 128
I asked my tailor to make me a single breasted plain vest. No lapels. In the past I've made about 3 other double breasted vests and liked them...but they always require extra fittings So my tailor didn't listen and made me a DB vest. Since I'm tall with a long torso...its usually 7 buttons and make the vest top opening really high to ensure it looks good Enough cloth was left over to make a 2nd vest...just as I wanted, SB with no lapels, so I now have 2 vests and 2 trousers on this suit. I put the 8 meters to good work The DB vest is actually a Notch lapel.
post #9 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329 View Post
I asked my tailor to make me a single breasted plain vest. No lapels. In the past I've made about 3 other double breasted vests and liked them...but they always require extra fittings

So my tailor didn't listen and made me a DB vest. Since I'm tall with a long torso...its usually 7 buttons and make the vest top opening really high to ensure it looks good

Enough cloth was left over to make a 2nd vest...just as I wanted, SB with no lapels, so I now have 2 vests and 2 trousers on this suit. I put the 8 meters to good work

The DB vest is actually a Notch lapel.

Amazing.
post #10 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshen View Post
~22oz tweed, described by the weaver, Butt of Lewis tweeds, as follows:

"I have just made this new Tweed, from 100% wool, the weft contains 4 thin threads twisted together to make a beautiful strong heavier Tweed. I don't know if you ever bought the traditional heavy Harris Tweed, which is so scarce now, I would say that it is similar to that."



Action shots:


With bonus tweed hat:


DAMN this thing keeps me warm! I can only imagine how nice and warm Michael's 3pc would be on a bloody cold Finnish winter's day..

The shoulders looks too small and the sleeves are definetly too long. But I like the material.
post #11 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshinex View Post
The shoulders looks too small and the sleeves are definetly too long. But I like the material.

Sleeves too long?? That looks like a full inch of cuff.
post #12 of 128
I'm sorry. I meant short.
post #13 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshinex View Post
The shoulders looks too small and the sleeves are definetly too long. But I like the material.

Agreed, way too tight in the shoulders
post #14 of 128
I've been waiting for a thread like this. Bravo.
post #15 of 128
I have a 'new' tweed suit, but no pics yet. I'll try to take some. My Norman Hilton tweed suit: Tweed is washed out here, though: And here's a great Norman Hilton tweed suit that I sold awhile back. I was distraught it didn't fit so I could keep it:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thick and heavy Tweed roll call