or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suggested winter clothing for grad school in Boston?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suggested winter clothing for grad school in Boston? - Page 4

post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Yep. Edmonton gets pretty cold in the winter. imho, 50-60 degrees is nearly perfect weather. You can wear a sweater or a sweatshirt, and a light jacket over that for fashion if you like, but you don't have to. It's cool enough that you can run a few blocks without breaking a sweat, but warm enough so that you can sit outside with a hot drink and not feel too cold. I like that.

Heh, I prefer 75 and sunny but that's just me
post #47 of 66
Thread Starter 
I get a bit chilly already when the temperature drops below fifty and there's a bit of wind. Should I get something heavier than a sweater and a duffle coat?

I bought one of those Gloverall 65% wool duffles from STP. I saw that they had this new Virgin Wool coat available, and it was put up just when I took delivery of the original one. I was thinking of exchanging it, but the differential is a bit large, $60 with the current 15% off discount, so I thought it wasn't worth it. I'm appreciating softer wool, though, and this "lower line" Gloverall I has great fabric already.
post #48 of 66
Some good suggestions here. Any specific suggestions for the top coat? I also need to pick up a top coat for the Chicago winter. I don't want something too long though, preferably a jacket's length. Something practical for campus. Jose, don't mean to hijack your thread! -fn
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
I get a bit chilly already when the temperature drops below fifty and there's a bit of wind. Should I get something heavier than a sweater and a duffle coat?

I bought one of those Gloverall 65% wool duffles from STP. I saw that they had this new Virgin Wool coat available, and it was put up just when I took delivery of the original one. I was thinking of exchanging it, but the differential is a bit large, $60 with the current 15% off discount, so I thought it wasn't worth it. I'm appreciating softer wool, though, and this "lower line" Gloverall I has great fabric already.

Sweater and duffle coat sounds like it would be good enough for weather in the teens, at least IMHO.
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Yep. Edmonton gets pretty cold in the winter.

So does Calgary, which is a little south of Edmonton.

We had a few days last year where the temperature dropped to -31°F. Try looking stylish when you're wearing ski goggles to keep your eyes from freezing.

The picture below is on my commute to work. The Bow River is steaming in response to a 15-20 degree drop from previous night. Which means the water (with the floating ice chunks) is actually warmer than the air temperature.



I'm not sure if the winters in Boston are worse, but a huge arctic parka seems overkill. I dress in layers to keep warm: long johns, wool sweaters, long sleeve thermals, polar fleece, GoreTexâ„¢, scarfs. I swear by GoreTexâ„¢, because for me wind is half of the cold. And scarves are great for keeping your neck and face warm or if your body needs extra warm too.

Living in Canada my whole life I've got quite the collection of insulated jakets, GoreTexâ„¢ shells, soft shells, polar fleece, and wool, but no arctic parka.

So unless you're going to be outside most of the day, don't buy a huge parka.
post #51 of 66
As someone from the warmest part of Canada who went to school in a more representative part, here is my advice on jackets:
  • You might not find a fleece liner warm enough: there is a limit to how bulky fleece jackets get and so you might find you need a parka.
  • I don't have a lot of experience wearing wool in real winter, but you can get peacoats, etc. with Thinsulate liners - that should help.
  • If you're getting a parka, real down, in higher fills is warmer per litre and per gram than any synthetic, but significantly more expensive. (I have a 900 fill, -1C sleeping bag that's shockingly compact and light, but cost $400 retail.)

Although jackets get all the attention, they're only a small part of a cold-weather system. You lose most of your heat through your head, your feet, and your groin: so get a toque (or even balaclava, considering), heavy hiking socks, and long johns or at least flannel boxers. Cotton doesn't keep you warm once you've sweat in it (which you will as you move in an out of buildings and trudge through snow), so look at wool and synthetics for your under layers. A scarf is one of the few items of winter clothing where you can have fun and be fashionable. Finally, there's nothing quite like mittens!
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared
As someone from the warmest part of Canada who went to school in a more representative part, here is my advice on jackets:
  • You might not find a fleece liner warm enough: there is a limit to how bulky fleece jackets get and so you might find you need a parka.
  • I don't have a lot of experience wearing wool in real winter, but you can get peacoats, etc. with Thinsulate liners - that should help.
  • If you're getting a parka, real down, in higher fills is warmer per litre and per gram than any synthetic, but significantly more expensive. (I have a 900 fill, -1C sleeping bag that's shockingly compact and light, but cost $400 retail.)

Although jackets get all the attention, they're only a small part of a cold-weather system. You lose most of your heat through your head, your feet, and your groin: so get a toque (or even balaclava, considering), heavy hiking socks, and long johns or at least flannel boxers. Cotton doesn't keep you warm once you've sweat in it (which you will as you move in an out of buildings and trudge through snow), so look at wool and synthetics for your under layers. A scarf is one of the few items of winter clothing where you can have fun and be fashionable. Finally, there's nothing quite like mittens!

A parka or balaclava for Boston? Sorry, but are you fucking kidding me? He's not purchasing clothing for an Antarctic expedition, but for probably minutes at most of exposure between a subway station and a building.
post #53 of 66
Thread Starter 
In fairness and as a caveat, I do enjoy walking around to clear my mind.
post #54 of 66
Yes, but the vast majority of "cold" weather in Boston is just below freezing. There will be maybe 10 days in February when it goes below 0 (F), but for the rest of it, it's more sloppy than really cold.
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
A parka or balaclava for Boston? Sorry, but are you fucking kidding me? He's not purchasing clothing for an Antarctic expedition, but for probably minutes at most of exposure between a subway station and a building.
Parka..no. But there are definitely days when it's cold enough to be painful to exposed skin, and on those days, something to cover one's face (and potentially rob banks) is nice to have. Most days, however, a wool sweater and a peacoat or car coat with a scarf are sufficient. On very cold days, an additional polarfleece jacket or a wool cardigan under the coat are typically enough.
The most important article of clothing to stay warm, after a coat obviously, is a good, warm hat--a wool/cashmere beenie works well.
post #56 of 66
You will absolutely need a shell for inclement weather days. No one buys hard shells anymore. Soft shells are just as good unless you're trekking and they are a million times more comfortable and breathable. Get one from Cloudveil, Patagucci, Marmot, North Face, Arcteryx, Mountain Hardware, REI or EMS. or something like the Patagucci infurno, which is a little less tech-looking, but it still has technical construction and layers. It's similar to what people in the Northeast wear day-in and day-out during the deep winter months.
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-
Parka..no. But there are definitely days when it's cold enough to be painful to exposed skin, and on those days, something to cover one's face (and potentially rob banks) is nice to have. Most days, however, a wool sweater and a peacoat or car coat with a scarf are sufficient. On very cold days, an additional polarfleece jacket or a wool cardigan under the coat are typically enough.
The most important article of clothing to stay warm, after a coat obviously, is a good, warm hat--a wool/cashmere beenie works well.

... I lived in Cambridge for four years and grew up in a much colder environment and I've never worn a balaclava or seen anyone wearing one outside except while skiing. I' m not sure if the onset of global warming has set off some sort of cooling effect in the Northeast or if people have just gotten soft...
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I see your Northern WI and raise you a Northern Alberta.
I'll raise you an Alta, Norway (google it. its 400 miles above the arctic circle, baby). I call.
post #59 of 66
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117

Can he wear that to a law school party?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suggested winter clothing for grad school in Boston?