• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Way cool...Dyson launches the bladeless fan!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5ba62a00-b...44feab49a.html

First there was the bagless vacuum cleaner, then the towel-less hand dryer: Now James Dyson, the British inventor, has developed a bladeless electric fan which goes on sale on Tuesday in the US and Australia.

The Dyson Air Multiplier fan - which looks like something straight out of a sci-fi movie - uses advancements in airflow engineering instead of traditional blades to "˜multiply' air 15 times and push out 119 gallons of smooth and uninterrupted air every second.

As a result, Dyson claims the bladeless fan, which works by forcing a jet of air out of a narrow circular **** and then over an aerofoil-shaped blade, is at least as efficient as its bladed counterpart, more comfortable and much safer.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A coworker showed me this earlier today; it looks really cool. I'd like to see one in person, just to see how it works.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
A coworker showed me this earlier today; it looks really cool. I'd like to see one in person, just to see how it works.

A fan in the base sucks up air and blows it through that fancy ring contraption that makes it blow harder.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
The reaction videos are pretty amusing: http://www.dyson.co.uk/fans/

These videos are suspect. If there's air coming out from the fan, why don't the people with longer hair have their hair blown back, even a little? Or did Dyson just invent some sort of air that can't be felt?
patch[1].gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The Air Multiplier technology video that explains it all is really cool.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
These videos are suspect. If there's air coming out from the fan, why don't the people with longer hair have their hair blown back, even a little? Or did Dyson just invent some sort of air that can't be felt?
patch[1].gif

I was just thinking the same thing.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This Dyson dude has done a great job of creating awesome-looking gadgets that perform tasks we already have gadgets for. They look great and cost a ****-load of money.

Now that I think of it — and put on my Tokyo Slim hat — that's the same thing Apple does so well.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Now that I think of it "” and put on my Tokyo Slim hat "” that's the same thing Apple does so well.

Now we just need an advertising strategy that encourages everyone who owns a Dyson to be annoying salesmen.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Now we just need an advertising strategy that encourages everyone who owns a Dyson to be annoying salesmen.

And elitist.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
+1. It's the Apple of home appliances.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
You're spending $500 on a vacuum and $300 on an oscilating fan. Do we even need a label at that point?
Nope. We were, however, making the comparison to self-righteous Apple owners. Nothing intrinsically wrong with luxury goods (or Macs in and of themselves).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics