or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Way cool...Dyson launches the bladeless fan!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Way cool...Dyson launches the bladeless fan!

post #1 of 71
Thread Starter 
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5ba62a00-b...44feab49a.html

Quote:
First there was the bagless vacuum cleaner, then the towel-less hand dryer: Now James Dyson, the British inventor, has developed a bladeless electric fan which goes on sale on Tuesday in the US and Australia.

The Dyson Air Multiplier fan - which looks like something straight out of a sci-fi movie - uses advancements in airflow engineering instead of traditional blades to "˜multiply' air 15 times and push out 119 gallons of smooth and uninterrupted air every second.

As a result, Dyson claims the bladeless fan, which works by forcing a jet of air out of a narrow circular slit and then over an aerofoil-shaped blade, is at least as efficient as its bladed counterpart, more comfortable and much safer.
post #2 of 71
The reaction videos are pretty amusing: http://www.dyson.co.uk/fans/
post #3 of 71
A coworker showed me this earlier today; it looks really cool. I'd like to see one in person, just to see how it works.
post #4 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
A coworker showed me this earlier today; it looks really cool. I'd like to see one in person, just to see how it works.

A fan in the base sucks up air and blows it through that fancy ring contraption that makes it blow harder.
post #5 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
The reaction videos are pretty amusing: http://www.dyson.co.uk/fans/

These videos are suspect. If there's air coming out from the fan, why don't the people with longer hair have their hair blown back, even a little? Or did Dyson just invent some sort of air that can't be felt?
post #6 of 71
Thread Starter 
The Air Multiplier technology video that explains it all is really cool.
post #7 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn View Post
These videos are suspect. If there's air coming out from the fan, why don't the people with longer hair have their hair blown back, even a little? Or did Dyson just invent some sort of air that can't be felt?

I was just thinking the same thing.
post #8 of 71
This Dyson dude has done a great job of creating awesome-looking gadgets that perform tasks we already have gadgets for. They look great and cost a shit-load of money. Now that I think of it — and put on my Tokyo Slim hat — that's the same thing Apple does so well.
post #9 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube View Post
Now that I think of it "” and put on my Tokyo Slim hat "” that's the same thing Apple does so well.

Now we just need an advertising strategy that encourages everyone who owns a Dyson to be annoying salesmen.
post #10 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
Now we just need an advertising strategy that encourages everyone who owns a Dyson to be annoying salesmen.

And elitist.
post #11 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
And elitist.

That too.
post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
Now we just need an advertising strategy that encourages everyone who owns a Dyson to be annoying salesmen.
+1. It's the Apple of home appliances.
post #13 of 71
Thread Starter 
Not bad, 8 posts to a Tokyo Slim anti-Apple rant.
post #14 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
And elitist.
You're spending $500 on a vacuum and $300 on an oscilating fan. Do we even need a label at that point?
post #15 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
You're spending $500 on a vacuum and $300 on an oscilating fan. Do we even need a label at that point?
Nope. We were, however, making the comparison to self-righteous Apple owners. Nothing intrinsically wrong with luxury goods (or Macs in and of themselves).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Way cool...Dyson launches the bladeless fan!