True, light tan is an exaggeration. Comparing the picture on the site with the pictures I've seen here, was just unexpected (although thats also due to LP in some cases).
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemRed Wing Men's 2990 11" Engineer Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemRed Wing Men's Wabasha Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandRed Wing Shoestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemRed Wing Shoes Men's Beckman Chukka Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
Related Forum Threads
- Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion Last post on 2/26/17 at 11:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- Red Wing Heritage 9012 9.5D Chestnut moc-toe boot. ***FINAL REDUCTION!*** Last post on 1/4/13 at 2:38pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Red Wing Boots | Baracuta Harrington | SeaVees Last post on 7/7/11 at 7:29pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- 5/12 Drop! Buttero, NDC, Red Wing GT,GramSE, Edwin, Fred Perry, Mabitex,Hickey F Last post on 5/12/11 at 1:04pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Crescent Down Works Italian Vest; Made in US Selvedge Levi's; Red Wing Boots, more Last post on 3/14/11 at 4:00pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners - Page 67post #991 of 13469/20/12 at 9:27pmpost #992 of 13469/21/12 at 7:51amI dunno, there are 2 pictures on page 2 of the thread. They look pretty light in the second picture but they state that the color in the first pic is the most accurate. First pic looks like maybe some flash blowing out the color on the boots.
I have the boots from the same time period and mine looked pretty much like the first pic when new. I sno-sealed them and they went super dark.
Maybe they are oiling the boots a little more these days which makes them darker out of the box, but I don't think the post-treatment results are that different.post #993 of 13469/21/12 at 11:11ampost #994 of 13469/21/12 at 11:22amI got a pair of them in 9.5ee 2 days ago. It felt like they were fine in the toe, but after wearing them to work,they are way too long. I think my toes are close to an inch away from the end. I order some superfeet insoles that might take up more space, but I doubt it's enough. Is it too late to do any kind of exchanges for the boot? I don't want to abuse the return policy for the boots, but if they allow the exchange that would be cool.post #995 of 134610/2/12 at 1:55pm
I've been looking at the pictures in this thread and it seems like my pair has more wrinkles than everyone else's, mainly between the bottom laceholes and the toe cap. I put Sno Seal on them but maybe I didn't put enough? Should I have used something else to prevent wrinkles? Or do I just bend my toes more than everybody else that has Katahdins?post #996 of 134610/3/12 at 3:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by ASkin ANight
I've been looking at the pictures in this thread and it seems like my pair has more wrinkles than everyone else's, mainly between the bottom laceholes and the toe cap. I put Sno Seal on them but maybe I didn't put enough? Should I have used something else to prevent wrinkles? Or do I just bend my toes more than everybody else that has Katahdins?
FFS, every shoe has wrinkles and this one is no exception. I am not sure why you think that sno-seal would prevent wrinkles because that is not what it is supposed to do.
Dude, relax and just enjoy the boots.post #997 of 134610/3/12 at 4:42pm^ lol, dude sounds a lot more relaxed than you do
Anyways, there were a few earlier posts in this thread where people had the same wrinkling problem. Turns out that some had split grain leather used on their boots rather than full grain (you can tell because it's way fuzzier on the inside). If that's the case, give LL Bean a call, their customer service is incredible and they will sort you out.
If you're just talking about creases across the boot from wear, then that's obviously normal. Boots like these look better beat up anyways.post #998 of 134610/5/12 at 8:59amQuote:
That's why I asked. Wasn't sure.
Does Obenauf's help with wrinkles? I know a lot of Katahdin wearers use that.
And dude, I don't care about wrinkles coming in naturally all over the boot. I want the broken-in look. But so far my pair just has a big, main series of wrinkles all the way across the boot right above the toecap. And looking at everyone else's pics of their boots, it doesn't seem normal.
I just wanted to know if anyone else had any experience with this. I'm not losing sleep over it or anything.post #999 of 134610/6/12 at 11:58pmASkin ANight,
Obenaufs does not help with wrinkles in my experience.
Obenaufs and Sno-seal (I've used both) are just wax products that help improve the leather's durability/waterproofness etc.,
My pair of Katahdins sounds just like yours, with creases/wrinkles where my toe/foot flexes. If it's really an issue, either shoe tree it etc, but given how thick the leather is, a broken-in Katahdin boot should look the way you're describing.
Try posting some pictures comparing yours with others. but I doubt it'll be a big difference.post #1000 of 134610/8/12 at 6:17pmI've seen a lot of people saying to go a half size down, but there is no 12.5 option. I'm a 13 in Allen Edmonds and Clarks Desert Boots, but I haven't had a chance to try any LL Bean boots to see how the sizing works. Do you experts think that I should just go for the 13 or go a whole size down to a 12?
Edited by Texastyle - 10/9/12 at 12:54ampost #1001 of 134610/9/12 at 12:50ampost #1002 of 134610/9/12 at 12:54amQuote:
Thanks for the response. I ended up ordering them TTS and will just send them back for a smaller size if they are too large. These are my first pair of decent quality boots, so I'm pretty excited to get my hands on them.post #1003 of 134610/12/12 at 3:38pmpost #1004 of 134610/12/12 at 4:02pmQuote:
Sounds like you're in line for some foot cancer. Bummer.
And I would definitely try to prevent your feet from having any babies.post #1005 of 134610/12/12 at 4:06pm
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Suitsupply NYC 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 8 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 11 minutes ago
- › Good etiquette to match belt to suede loafers? 14 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 33 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 36 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 41 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › How to Buy a Women Dress Online That Puts on...
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway