or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners - Page 55

post #811 of 1265

There's a thread over on Reddit asking for people to submit pics of the "new" Katahdin's. Shitty photography aside, this is what was posted so far:

 

http://imgur.com/a/8HEux

 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NUX1NtyrSsA/TqL7qXK8IAI/AAAAAAAAAPY/CFEIXL5YVzI/s400/IMAG0138.jpg

 

http://imgur.com/a/ZfAN4

 

 

I'm not impressed.

 

Considering the 25% off situation at J.Crew im now debating between their Homestead and Plain-toe Chippewa's.

 

Homestead Chippewa

 

 

I just cant figure out which one is going to end up being more versatile - basically which ever one I can pair more clothing with is getting bought. Unless of course some fantastic deal on RW Beckmans pops up (but then again, I've seen people saying the Beckman toe makes it look too casual when actually worn/in person).

 

Thoughts from Team Katahdin?

 

post #812 of 1265
Just got my Kahtadins in the mail yesterday. Quick question: are they supposed to come in a Chippewa box? It doesn't really say Kahtadin anywhere on the package/box/shoe. Just wondering. And when I put them on, they're really uncomfortable at the point where the tongue is glued/stitched to the upper cause there's a huge bulge that presses against the top of my foot when I walk. Should I assume that this pain will go away when they break in?
post #813 of 1265
Mine came in a chippewa box back in december 2008

Also, mine look pretty damn similar to the ones posted in this thread. They were a little lighter and then got darker when I sno-sealed them. Maybe they just apply a little more oil to them now--it shouldn't really matter since you are going to go darker as soon as you apply any sort of treatment to the boot.

You could opt for no treatments...but then you aren't taking care of your shoes--eventually you are going to have to do something and they are going to get darker so who cares if they start out that color.
post #814 of 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by krspdla View Post

Just got my Kahtadins in the mail yesterday. Quick question: are they supposed to come in a Chippewa box? It doesn't really say Kahtadin anywhere on the package/box/shoe. Just wondering. And when I put them on, they're really uncomfortable at the point where the tongue is glued/stitched to the upper cause there's a huge bulge that presses against the top of my foot when I walk. Should I assume that this pain will go away when they break in?


 

Yeah, mine came in a Chippewa box and were a bit uncomfortable where the tongue was stitched to the upper, but that seemed to go away after wearing them a few times.

post #815 of 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca1amity View Post

There's a thread over on Reddit asking for people to submit pics of the "new" Katahdin's. Shitty photography aside, this is what was posted so far:

http://imgur.com/a/8HEux

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NUX1NtyrSsA/TqL7qXK8IAI/AAAAAAAAAPY/CFEIXL5YVzI/s400/IMAG0138.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/ZfAN4


I'm not impressed.

Considering the 25% off situation at J.Crew im now debating between their Homestead and Plain-toe Chippewa's.

350x350px-LL-1237f1f2_Homestead.jpeg 350x350px-LL-e0c80968_Chippewa.jpeg


I just cant figure out which one is going to end up being more versatile - basically which ever one I can pair more clothing with is getting bought. Unless of course some fantastic deal on RW Beckmans pops up (but then again, I've seen people saying the Beckman toe makes it look too casual when actually worn/in person).

Thoughts from Team Katahdin?

The plain toe is probably more versatile, looks good with anything and rather water resistant, oil treated leather.
post #816 of 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalDan View Post

My brother has the older version, and even after he weatherproofed them they were a lighter (more pleasing to me) color than the two pairs of new ones I had ordered (and will be returning). Happened to luck into a pair from last year in my size on the B&S forum...otherwise I would have kept looking for an alternative boot -- possibly the JCrew but its so expensive that I dunno.


Thanks for the reply.  

 

I just received my 2nd pair (replacement), and brand new it looks darker than my 1st pair that I only wore for one day.  I think once the leather gets worn in a little, the color turns lighter.

 

I need to oil mine.. but I don't think I'll do that for a few months.  I don't really want the boots any darker than they are right now. I do want to eventually apply some kind of conditioner/protectant to help the leather though.

post #817 of 1265
anyone have any suggestions for insole replacements?
post #818 of 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium View Post

anyone have any suggestions for insole replacements?

Spenco Polysorb Heavy Duty / Cross Trainer (they're the same model just different names) insoles. Priced between 10 and 20 bucks @ Amazon.
post #819 of 1265
Just Obenauf LPed a pair of last year's edition. Actually really like the color it's drying into; a nice contrast with the orange/tan welt, if you ask me.
post #820 of 1265

I put in some Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gel Work insoles purchased from the supermarket. The packaging said they're good for work boots. So far, so good.

post #821 of 1265
232
232
232

Old Katahdins, courtesy of eBay. These are exceptional. Notice the round eyelets and round waxed laces.
post #822 of 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post

232
232
232

Old Katahdins, courtesy of eBay. These are exceptional. Notice the round eyelets and round waxed laces.

these are amazing. how much did you pay for them?
post #823 of 1265
Just a quick update...

I ended up ordering the Chippewa Rodeo "tan" colored boots for my steel toed work boots. They didn't look bad out of the
package by any means (color-wise), and the quality is great.

However, after melting in a couple coats of beeswax they look pretty terrific IMO, *very* similar to the color of Clarks DB's in
beeswax leather. A nice medium tan/brown color that should look even better with wear and age which is exactly what I was
hoping for.

NOTE: these also have the same round waxed laces but the eyelets are slightly different, yet still good looking.

Excellent boots for $130! The non-steel toe version is even cheaper.

Can post pics if you guys want.
post #824 of 1265
Yeah let's see those pics.
post #825 of 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemente21 View Post

these are amazing. how much did you pay for them?

100 bucks. They're like new, probably worn 10 times. And they fit perfectly. One of those rare scores.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners