Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemRed Wing Men's 2990 11" Engineer Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemRed Wing Men's Wabasha Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandRed Wing Shoestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemRed Wing Shoes Men's Beckman Chukka Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
Related Forum Threads
- Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion Last post on Yesterday at 9:14 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Red Wing Heritage 9012 9.5D Chestnut moc-toe boot. ***FINAL REDUCTION!*** Last post on 1/4/13 at 2:38pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Red Wing Boots | Baracuta Harrington | SeaVees Last post on 7/7/11 at 7:29pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- 5/12 Drop! Buttero, NDC, Red Wing GT,GramSE, Edwin, Fred Perry, Mabitex,Hickey F Last post on 5/12/11 at 1:04pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Crescent Down Works Italian Vest; Made in US Selvedge Levi's; Red Wing Boots, more Last post on 3/14/11 at 4:00pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners - Page 53post #782 of 134611/10/11 at 5:47pmpost #783 of 134611/10/11 at 6:06pmQuote:
I can't comment on the LL Bean's version, but I can on the J. Crew's.
I'm usually a size 9 in sneakers and when I had Clarks DBs, I sized down 1 full size in all 4 pairs that I had. They fit marvelously. I wear a 8.5 in my Chippewas, if I were to go with a size 8, like my Clarks DBs, it would be too small for sure.post #784 of 134611/12/11 at 2:24pmpost #785 of 134611/12/11 at 5:11pmpost #786 of 134611/12/11 at 8:55pmI'm a 10.5 in clarks db/10.5 in chucks/10.5 in sperry.
I went with a 10 which fits snug, which I like. A 10.5 would have been a fine too though. I would recommend going TTS or 1/2 size down. If you have a narrow foot, then 1/2 down, if it's "normal" then go TTS.
And then buy my katahdins in size 10 on B&S.post #787 of 134611/15/11 at 4:59pmpost #788 of 134611/15/11 at 5:50pmpost #789 of 134611/16/11 at 8:34pmpost #790 of 134611/17/11 at 6:06am
I'm guessing that the heel is simply glued on, not sewn. Looking at my Katahdins right now that appears to be the case, although I could be wrong.
From what I've seen, heels are usually either glued, tacked, or both. I'm guessing most glued heels, and even some tacked, would do that if you pull on them, which is why I never pull on them. Each time you do you risk dust and debris getting between the sole and the heel and over time the bond will get weaker and weaker.post #791 of 134611/18/11 at 7:51amCan someone comment on the difference in durability / looks between these and the Red Wing Iron Rangers?
I was looking at the Iron Rangers, but these look so similar and are so much cheaper... If they are just as durable I may as well get these instead.
How do they size? I'm a 9.5 in Clarks DBs and a 10 in Chucks...post #792 of 134611/18/11 at 7:58amIn my opinion the Red Wings are a little bit nicer of a boot (construction, leather quality, etc.) but not so much so as to justify the large price difference. The Chippewas are nice, and very nice for their price. They also fit my feet better. I have had the Katahdins in the past and now have the J Crew plain toe ones and am very happy with them. For the $300 Red Wing seems to get for the IR I think there are better options (1000K mile or save a little more and go for Alden or Whites).post #793 of 134611/18/11 at 6:00pmpost #794 of 134611/18/11 at 11:47pm
edit: Nevermind. I called LL Bean, and they're sending me a replacement pair. Here's to hoping that the new ones don't hurt my leg. Great customer service on behalf of LL Bean by the way.. As long as it's better than the first pair, I'm pretty sure it will be just fine after breaking them in. I just don't see breaking in the first pair making much of a difference.
I got my Katahdins in today and overall I like them. I'm just wondering if I should exchange them for the same size. There's one small issue that's causing them to dig into the back of my leg a little too much.
A portion of the left shoe is stitched 1/4" too far forward on my left shoe. By doing so, it's causing back of the shoe to angle in more, digging into the back of my leg a little too much causing noticeable pain right when I put them on. The right shoe is much more comfortable.
Should I exchange them or will they break in a little more? I've only worn them for a day so far.
Edited by yukihiro - 11/22/11 at 2:13pmpost #795 of 134611/19/11 at 10:02am
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 3 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 13 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 13 minutes ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 16 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 20 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 22 minutes ago
- › Alden whiskey LWB and hunt green boot 31 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 31 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...