or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners - Page 78

post #1156 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanapoom123 View Post
 

Anyone can explain different between chippewa service boots and this LL Bean model

is it the same?


The LL Bean model (cap toe) is a heavily oiled leather (harder to get a shine). And the new service boots don't have the removable insole (which I needed). I had ordered the service boot from Zappos -  that is why I sent them back. I'm not sure, but to me, the Bean boot seemed heavier, more solid - the leather also seemed thicker. The Bean boot is definitely my go to boot for the zombie apocalypse... ;  )

post #1157 of 1289

I'm A Styleforum noob. I've recently been needing (wanting) to get a new pair of brown boots that I can wear for work and weekends. I've been curious about trying the Katahdin boots for while and am grateful to all the people who've posted on this thread. I've found the information helpful, so I thought I'd contribute my thoughts.

 

A couple of weeks ago I went to the LLBean website to look at the Katahdins again only to find that they had added the new cordovan version. My first thought was that I really liked the look of this boot. However, there are things I preferred about the older boot also. I couldn't decide which to try and, since there was a 10% off thing going on that weekend, I ended up ordering both. My plan was to compare the two, decide which I wanted to keep, then send one back.

 

The new cordovan (I'll call them NC) version came in first. My first thought was, these are really beautiful boots. I have experience with Chippewa boots going back over 30 years. I've owned several different styles, all very outdoor / work oriented. The shape and profile of these make me think "Chippewa" but the overall finish is the best I've seen from them. Here they are right out of the box.

 

AppleMark

 

My first impression putting on the NC is that the leather is really thick and the sole felt pretty stiff. There was a good amount of heel slip when walking and I wondered if I had ordered the wrong size. I typically wear a size 11 in boots and shoes and 11.5 is running shoes. So I ordered size 11. I have narrow feet so I always wear light merino wool socks with boots and I prefer to have plenty of room for my toes. Therefore, I seldom size down, even when others recommend it. I figure I can always change inserts or tighten laces to get a good fit but there's no way to add toe room. I brought the boots to my office so I could walk around on carpet. I wanted to keep them new. In about 15 minutes of walking they started to feel better.

 

The next day the original cap-toe (OCT) version came in. My first thought with these was that there sure was a lot of unevenness to the finish of the leather but overall they really make me think "Chippewa". (My first pair 30 years ago had the same quick laces as these.) The fit of these was similar to the NC. These felt much stiffer but wrapped my ankle better, no heel slip.

 

Next I started to compare the two.

 

AppleMark

 

They each have things I prefer.

I like the round eyelets on the NC but really like the quick ties on the OCT.

The leather on the NC is really nice but will probably require more upkeep.

The NC is narrower, which is good for me, but the OCT looks really nice and better than I expected.

 

Here's some comparison photos:

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

I switched back and forth wearing them on our rugs. (The floors in our house are all hard surface.) The next morning I still couldn't decide so I showed them to my wife and asked her to give me her thoughts, just from looking at them.

 

Wife: Well, that one would be better for wearing to your office but that one would be good for getting messed up working around the yard.

Me: (Thinking, well, I kind of knew that.)

Wife: Why don't you just keep them both.

Me: (Thinking, this hadn't occurred to me.)  ... uh ... wouldn't that be a little extravagant.

Wife: (losing interest) whatever ...

 

So with the thought that I might just keep both, I decided that I really like the NC version. I can keep those and then make a decision about keeping the OCT as well. I've been wearing the NC all weekend. I really like these boots. Just in a couple of days they're already breaking in. There's very little heel slip now. They are really comfortable. I can already tell the leather will require some maintenance. I've scratched the toes a few times but they're boots (work boots at that) and its to be expected.

 

My biggest reservations about keeping the OCT are this:

- The cost.

- They are a little wider and if they stretch out any, that could be an issue for me.

- They really bite into my legs at the collar. (I've read about others have this issue and how it went away.)

- They feel kind of clunky when I walk in them. I think this and the collar thing are both a function of not being broken-in and how well they wrap my ankle.

 

What I do like about the OCT:

- The lacing. Its much easier to get these on and off compared to the NC.

- The leather. I like the low maintenance rugged finish.

- The cap toe. I've never owned cap toe anything and wasn't sure about the looks but I rather like the looks of this boot. Its a different profile from the NC.

 

So I'm still on the fence about the OCT. I plan to wear the NC to work tomorrow and bring the OCT so I can walk around on the carpet during my lunch break and see if I can decide.

 

BTW, this tag is weird.

AppleMark

 

I guess the message is, "don't wear these boots in California"?

I also didn't realize Chippewa was now owned by Justin.

 

Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone will find it helpful.

post #1158 of 1289

Thank you for the awesome post! I've been going back and forth on which one to get and I think you sold me on the newer boot.

post #1159 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewh View Post
 

I guess the message is, "don't wear these boots in California"?

I also didn't realize Chippewa was now owned by Justin.

 

Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone will find it helpful.

Great post, I really like the NC too though I think I'm going for the Homestead cap toe from Zappos. Also, did the NC have the removable insole like the cap toe? BTW - everything causes cancer in California!


Edited by seer - 10/21/13 at 9:33am
post #1160 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
 

Also, did the NC have the removable insole like the cap toe?

Seer, The NC does come with the same insole as the OCT.

 

Also, I just checked and what's under the insole is exactly the same in both boots.

post #1161 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewh View Post
 

Seer, The NC does come with the same insole as the OCT.

 

Also, I just checked and what's under the insole is exactly the same in both boots.


Thanks Matt... I actually just picked up a new J Crew Homestead boot on e-bay. These boot are about the best deal going.

post #1162 of 1289
I just found these boots. My clarks dessert boots are about done and I like these boots with more eyeholes. Is $210 the standard price?
post #1163 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post

I just found these boots. My clarks dessert boots are about done and I like these boots with more eyeholes. Is $210 the standard price?


Yes, and they are worth it - but you can find some good deals on Ebay. And you can find some less expensive Chippewas here:

 

http://www.americanmadeworkboots.com/brands/Chippewa.html

post #1164 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post

I just found these boots. My clarks dessert boots are about done and I like these boots with more eyeholes. Is $210 the standard price?

 

As Seer mentions, there are other less expensive options. Chippewa has quite a few variations on these boots with different leathers, soles, etc. The ones with the Gumlite sole are more casual / work oriented. Chippewas Heritage line are more upper end.

 

I personally like the LLBean variations. I bought mine when they were having 10% off everything, which brought the cost down to $189. LLBean has these sales periodically, I signed up to their email list to keep informed about this. On top of just liking their offerings though, LLbean has free shipping, good customer service and the 100% satisfaction guarantee. Those are huge selling points for me.

post #1165 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post


Yes, and they are worth it - but you can find some good deals on Ebay. And you can find some less expensive Chippewas here:

http://www.americanmadeworkboots.com/brands/Chippewa.html
Thanks for sharing this link. I prefer the LL Bean variation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewh View Post

As Seer mentions, there are other less expensive options. Chippewa has quite a few variations on these boots with different leathers, soles, etc. The ones with the Gumlite sole are more casual / work oriented. Chippewas Heritage line are more upper end.

I personally like the LLBean variations. I bought mine when they were having 10% off everything, which brought the cost down to $189. LLBean has these sales periodically, I signed up to their email list to keep informed about this. On top of just liking their offerings though, LLbean has free shipping, good customer service and the 100% satisfaction guarantee. Those are huge selling points for me.
I just got some AE Daltons so I will wait a bit to pull the trigger on the LL Bean. Still $189 is a bit pricey. My Daltons were just a little more than that.
post #1166 of 1289
post #1167 of 1289
The more I wear these boots the more I appreciate them. Very comfortable for what they are given the price point of $150 when I got them last winter. There are nicer boots out there of course but at a higher price.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #1168 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

The more I wear these boots the more I appreciate them. Very comfortable for what they are given the price point of $150 when I got them last winter. There are nicer boots out there of course but at a higher price.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 

 

You just can't go wrong with theses!

post #1169 of 1289
I have three new pair of the cap toe Engineers available at the old price...10, 11, 11.5. Update with pics tonight


Edited by FENWAY - 10/26/13 at 11:47am
post #1170 of 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by FENWAY View Post

I have three new pair of the cap toe Engineers available at the old price...10, 11, 11.5. Update with pics tonight

Where did you buy them for $150?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

The more I wear these boots the more I appreciate them. Very comfortable for what they are given the price point of $150 when I got them last winter. There are nicer boots out there of course but at a higher price.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

How much were your boots?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners