My advice? Obenauf/treat before any significant wearing. Wear only serves to darken up the leather from oils and foreign contaminants, and once your apply treatment overtop it darkens the already dark/burnished boot even more.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemRed Wing Men's 2990 11" Engineer Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemRed Wing Men's Wabasha Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandRed Wing Shoestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemRed Wing Shoes Men's Beckman Chukka Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
Related Forum Threads
- Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion Last post on Yesterday at 7:14 am in Streetwear and Denim
- Red Wing Heritage 9012 9.5D Chestnut moc-toe boot. ***FINAL REDUCTION!*** Last post on 1/4/13 at 2:38pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Red Wing Boots | Baracuta Harrington | SeaVees Last post on 7/7/11 at 7:29pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- 5/12 Drop! Buttero, NDC, Red Wing GT,GramSE, Edwin, Fred Perry, Mabitex,Hickey F Last post on 5/12/11 at 1:04pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Crescent Down Works Italian Vest; Made in US Selvedge Levi's; Red Wing Boots, more Last post on 3/14/11 at 4:00pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners - Page 71
Styleforum Top Picks
Has anyone else had an issue with one or both of the boots cutting into the outer side of their leg, leaving a ridge after wear and causing numbness in their foot? I'm hoping this will go away with more break in and I've been working the collar with my hands trying to loosen it up.
This only happened with the right boot and oddly enough not until about a week of wear.
There's more to it than cap toe vs plain toe. The Apache Lacer (GQ) has a full 360* leather welt. The Katahdin boot has a plastic and leather 270* welt. The GQ has a Vibram Stockbridge Gumlite sole, which is lighter and grippier than the cork sole, IMO. The differences aren't going to make or break you if it's just a casual wear boot, but the GQ is better built as a work or outdoor boot. The same boot comes in a steel toe, 8" height and three different lugged soles as well.
just had a horror story with mine:
after owning them for about 3 weeks, wore them out last night (first significant snow)....
...came home after work today, both heels came undone (from the inner part of the heel closer to the toe) and started splitting towards the back end.
went to llbean, they were all shocked, took them back right away, and are shipping me a new pair, but looks like i'll be without them for a week or so.
put on my keen's to go to the store, almost cried. the guy in the shoe dept didn't know what to say, he seemed surprised too.
anyways, the first 3 days, i felt like some runway chick in them because i wasn't used to that heel style, but after about a week or so, they were the best feeling/looking shoes i had up until this point.
hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.
- Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 7 minutes ago
- › Anyone still wear. 3 button sportscoats? 8 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 10 minutes ago
- › What low-quality clothing brands do you like anyway? 13 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 18 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself. 26 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 29 minutes ago
- › Jack Spade Messenger Bag - Navy Blue Canvas 31 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 31 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 31 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth