or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE - Page 366

post #5476 of 5861

Quick question to Mr. P-Coat... 

 

I have a 21.5 inch chest, 22 inch chest taking a deep breath with 17.75 inch shoulders (yah yah I have narrow shoulders). I'm interested in the Buzz Rickson peacoat, but would not be layering with sweaters or anything. I usually just wear a collared shirt under my jackets so with that in mind I was thinking of snagging the size 38 (Self Edge lists it with 41 inch chest). The reason is that a size 40 has 19 inch shoulders which would look comical with my narrow shoulders, and I would rather move the buttons around to accomodate any tightness in the chest area.

 

Does this sound feasible to you? Many thanks in advance!

 

Peter

post #5477 of 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post
 

The company rep' said that they ran out of wool and had to go with a blend. I'd predict that the grey will be a blend soon. It's already backordered from people who can't get the blue one. The grey's nice, but I'm sure that (if it was as available), most people would rather have the blue because of the movie connect. After all, if it weren't for the movie, no one would be buying the coat.

You were precient, VinnyMac. The Billy Reid site now says all the charcoal coat sizes are on backorder and lists them as being a 90/10 blend.

post #5478 of 5861
Hey guys, looking at getting my first peacoat here in a couple weeks. I'm leaning towards the j crew bayswater even though I know the majority concensus is vintage is better.
My question is sizing. Not sure If I should get a large or Xl. I'm a 44r in blazers generally. About 6' 225lbs, so I'm bigger than most of the people in here. I thought large would be good, but I went to the local j crew and tried on the only wool coat they had which was some Wallace and Barnes one that looked a lot like the university coat and a large was too small. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Edit: I guess I should add, I just graduated college and am making very little money at the moment so I'm going the eBay route, that's the only reason I can't just order both and return the one I don't want.
post #5479 of 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaymanX View Post

Quick question to Mr. P-Coat... 

I have a 21.5 inch chest, 22 inch chest taking a deep breath with 17.75 inch shoulders (yah yah I have narrow shoulders). I'm interested in the Buzz Rickson peacoat, but would not be layering with sweaters or anything. I usually just wear a collared shirt under my jackets so with that in mind I was thinking of snagging the size 38 (Self Edge lists it with 41 inch chest). The reason is that a size 40 has 19 inch shoulders which would look comical with my narrow shoulders, and I would rather move the buttons around to accomodate any tightness in the chest area.

Does this sound feasible to you? Many thanks in advance!

Peter

You give a chest measurement of 21.5"? Is that half of your actual chest measurement?

When you measure your chest, the full circumference should be measured. A p2p is only given for the article of clothing--such as a peacoat--on which it is difficult to get a circumferential measurement. Sounds as though you are taking the p2p on your own chest?

If your chest actually measures 43," I would think a size 38 would be too small for you. But without the p2p of the coat you are considering, it is impossible to tell.
post #5480 of 5861

Anybody know how burberry peacoats fit? Do they run large, small, or true to size?

 

Recommendation on size? I am 5'10, 175lbs, jacket size is 40R

post #5481 of 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacoat View Post


You give a chest measurement of 21.5"? Is that half of your actual chest measurement?

When you measure your chest, the full circumference should be measured. A p2p is only given for the article of clothing--such as a peacoat--on which it is difficult to get a circumferential measurement. Sounds as though you are taking the p2p on your own chest?

If your chest actually measures 43," I would think a size 38 would be too small for you. But without the p2p of the coat you are considering, it is impossible to tell.

Hi, sorry for the confusion. Posting while drinking = weirdness ensues.

 

My actual chest circumference is 41.5 inches, 42 inches with a deep breath. I suppose my question is whether or not I can shift the buttons over to make up for any tightness from a peacoat that has a stated chest measurement of 41 inches (from SelfEdge). Are they accounting for layering with that measurement? 

post #5482 of 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaymanX View Post

Hi, sorry for the confusion. Posting while drinking = weirdness ensues.

My actual chest circumference is 41.5 inches, 42 inches with a deep breath. I suppose my question is whether or not I can shift the buttons over to make up for any tightness from a peacoat that has a stated chest measurement of 41 inches (from SelfEdge). Are they accounting for layering with that measurement? 

That is the problem when a seller gives a "chest measurement," we don't know what they mean by that term or how the measurement is taken. It is best to ask the seller to give you an accurate p2p measurement. If they use my instructions for measuring the p2p, all subjectives are removed from the equation, and we know how the coat will fit in the chest.

Yes, you can shift the buttons, but it can lead to asymmetry if the buttons are moved more than just a little. The proper geometry of a peacoat is predicated on precise measurements and proportions; change one part of the equation, and the geometry can be thrown off.
post #5483 of 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestwardDrift View Post
 

You were precient, VinnyMac. The Billy Reid site now says all the charcoal coat sizes are on backorder and lists them as being a 90/10 blend.

I hadn't noticed, but I'm not surprised at all. The people who receive their coats later this year are going to find a little something extra on the label.

post #5484 of 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacoat View Post


You ought to be able to cross your arms in front of your body and touch your hands to the back of your upper arms above the elbows. If you can't do this, then the coat may be too small across the shoulders. The good news is that the wool shell will stretch a bit. So, if your hands will almost touch your upper arms, you may be able to stretch it out enough to allow good movement for activities such as driving.


Thanks, I'm able to do that. I also called Sterlingwear about it and they told me that there's about a two-week break in period for the shoulder-pad and wool stiffness.

post #5485 of 5861
Three questions from a curious buyer, if anyone can answer...

1. Functionally, what are the trade-offs between a 100% wool vs. a 80/20 wool/nylon blend peacoat shell?

2. Has anyone here used Sterlingwear's "MTM" service? How did you find it? I know you have length and shell customizations... can you change the buttons too?

3. Have any smaller SF members tried the youth sizes at SW?
post #5486 of 5861

Trying to find this exact peacoat or something very similar.. Looks like it's Charles Tyrwhitt but haven't had luck finding it

post #5487 of 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxire View Post
 

As ordered, made a Bond style peacoat using 24 Oz 100% wool from Dugdale, Made in England fabric, genuine Italian leather, horn buttons, lined with quilted viscose having another layer of wool quilted inside. Will keep you warm in Vostok. Lighter lining recommended for New Yorkers. No lining for Londoners.

 

 

How long is the turnaround on a peacoat? If I were to order it today, would it come before the holiday season? 
 

Also, I was looking at the peacoat maker on your site and I was a little bit confused as to what cloth the thumbnails correspond to as well as what the different styles look like (I'm assuming the first thumbnail is the traditional US Navy styling, this is the Bond style, and the second to last thumbnail is the vintage). Finally, as a taller person with a little more room to work with, would it be possible to get an 8-10 button peacoat or  add some cuff styling a la this brooks brothers peacoat?


http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Milton-Pea-Coat/ML00265,default,pd.html?dwvar_ML00265_Color=GREY&contentpos=62&cgid=0222

post #5488 of 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt View Post

Three questions from a curious buyer, if anyone can answer...

1. Functionally, what are the trade-offs between a 100% wool vs. a 80/20 wool/nylon blend peacoat shell?

2. Has anyone here used Sterlingwear's "MTM" service? How did you find it? I know you have length and shell customizations... can you change the buttons too?

3. Have any smaller SF members tried the youth sizes at SW?

bumping this from bottom of page
post #5489 of 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheloniusDrunk View Post
 

 

How long is the turnaround on a peacoat? If I were to order it today, would it come before the holiday season? 
 

Also, I was looking at the peacoat maker on your site and I was a little bit confused as to what cloth the thumbnails correspond to as well as what the different styles look like (I'm assuming the first thumbnail is the traditional US Navy styling, this is the Bond style, and the second to last thumbnail is the vintage). Finally, as a taller person with a little more room to work with, would it be possible to get an 8-10 button peacoat or  add some cuff styling a la this brooks brothers peacoat?


http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Milton-Pea-Coat/ML00265,default,pd.html?dwvar_ML00265_Color=GREY&contentpos=62&cgid=0222


The turnaround is 3-4 weeks. For peacoat orders placed on or before November 29th, delivery will be before Christmas.

 

All styling including number of buttons can be added as desired.

 

Have added style name to the images for easier reference.

post #5490 of 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaymanX View Post

Quick question to Mr. P-Coat... 

I have a 21.5 inch chest, 22 inch chest taking a deep breath with 17.75 inch shoulders (yah yah I have narrow shoulders). I'm interested in the Buzz Rickson peacoat, but would not be layering with sweaters or anything. I usually just wear a collared shirt under my jackets so with that in mind I was thinking of snagging the size 38 (Self Edge lists it with 41 inch chest). The reason is that a size 40 has 19 inch shoulders which would look comical with my narrow shoulders, and I would rather move the buttons around to accomodate any tightness in the chest area.

Does this sound feasible to you? Many thanks in advance!

Peter

Just write to them. They'd love to hear from you about this sort of thing, keeps them from having to eat shipping on returns. Astonishingly fast response time, too, from my experience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE