was just checking out the vintage trends website and was wondering for anyone who has experience buying form there, are their measurements accurate? and by accurate i mean do they measure the way that peacoat has outlined in his article?
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemBurberry Prorsum - TWILL OVERSIZED AVIATOR PEACOAT JACKETtagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryCoatstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryCoats Jacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemSimon Spurr - CASHMERE MELTON PEACOAT JACKETtagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
Related Forum Threads
- FS: Burberry Peacoat (40, fits like 38) // Professionally tailored to be slim fitting Last post on 2/16/11 at 8:44pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 7:19 am in Classic Menswear
- The Contentedness thread Last post on 8/30/15 at 8:16am in Streetwear and Denim
- Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you? Last post on 8/27/14 at 4:05am in Classic Menswear
- Wearing a Sport Coat or Blazer Indoors? Last post on 9/22/11 at 12:50am in Classic Menswear
What it Means to be Made in Italy
Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Pleasures and Perils of the Long CoatLast edited: 1/12/15
- Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?Last edited: 2/9/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE - Page 317
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4742 of 596412/17/12 at 3:02pm
Over the past few days, I looked over every page in this thread. Call me an @ss if you want, but the OVERWHELMING majority of the coats in this thread fit like tarps. I know...I know...The majority of the pictures on this site show bad fits, but for a thread this size, I expected more. Even the ones that have gotten positive reviews look like navy blue cardboard boxes.
Maybe my perspective has been ruined by the fit and shape of mtm coats, or maybe I'm missing something, but there HAS TO BE a RTW peacoat that's both functional and has a more flattering silhouette than the ones that we've seen on this thread. Does any brand come to mind?...pictures of you wearing it? A hundred or so pages back, someone said, "Fit > Authenticity," and that's turned out to be the cold, hard truth. If you want to look like you're in the armed forces, then by all means, go for that aesthetic, but (considering that most of us aren't/have never been in the armed forces) there has to be a brand that takes style and fit into consideration.
...again, not being an @ss...just giving my opinion.
Edited by VinnyMac - 12/17/12 at 5:01pmpost #4743 of 596412/17/12 at 6:05pmpost #4744 of 596412/17/12 at 6:20pmQuote:
I am hoping that is the case, waiting on the shipment. What color did you chose out of the Navy/Black/Charcoal?post #4745 of 596412/18/12 at 7:21am
i saw someone post earlier about moving the buttons to slim down their jacket a bit.. would this work okay? or would it make the jacket look off.i'm wondering because my peacoat fits perfectly everywhere but i wouldn't mind bringing the body of the jacket in about an inch or so (which I imagine I could do by pushing all the buttons out about another inch?post #4746 of 596412/18/12 at 9:00am
Just picked this one up
Pricey over the other ones on the website. Anyone know why?
To answer the question above. My girlfriend had her peacoat modified to make it slimmer. It does work but it does change the look of the coat. The collars will be closer together.post #4747 of 596412/18/12 at 9:04amQuote:
thanks for the response. yeah i actualy don't mind if the collars are a bit closer together. i guess its an easy change to revert so i'll give it a shot.post #4748 of 596412/18/12 at 9:07ampost #4749 of 596412/18/12 at 9:18amQuote:
Thanks for the suggestion. This weekend, I ordered one for about $120, shipped. I'm 6ft tall, 170+, 41.5 chest and 31 waist; I ordered a small. Though the sizing seems strange, we'll see how it turns out. At that price, I'm willing to experiment with rtw...worst case scenario, it will be a beater coat.Quote:
Charcoal (I already have a navy coat)
Edited by VinnyMac - 12/18/12 at 4:29pmpost #4750 of 596412/18/12 at 9:22amQuote:Originally Posted by cfrp
Just picked this one up
[ Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Pricey over the other ones on the website. Anyone know why?
The price might reflect the fact that there is no fraying around the button holes, the lining is in good condition, the exterior wool has no moth holes, and/or the piping on the collar has no wear. If the size/fit works, you are going to love this coat.post #4751 of 596412/18/12 at 9:25amQuote:Originally Posted by bik2101
i saw someone post earlier about moving the buttons to slim down their jacket a bit.. would this work okay? or would it make the jacket look off.i'm wondering because my peacoat fits perfectly everywhere but i wouldn't mind bringing the body of the jacket in about an inch or so (which I imagine I could do by pushing all the buttons out about another inch?
That's what I am doing, but I won't be changing the top buttons by much, the upper torso fits fine, the bottom/waist however could use a 0.5" to 1" shift. If you move it too much the left row of buttons will center and look asymmetrical.post #4752 of 596412/18/12 at 9:27amQuote:Originally Posted by Peacoat
Yes, those appear to be the proper buttons.
The button you use on the inside would have to correlate to the size of the buttonhole. Some coats have an additional inside button for this purpose. Some are the small size and some are the standard size. If you don't have a dedicated inside buttonhole, and have a coat that allows buttoning both ways, you will probably want to use the large size buttons. If sewing the button on yourself, don't sew through a pocket.
Wonderful, thanks again! The way the handwarmer pockets are positioned ensures the button will never come close to it, so I should be safe in that regards, but if it does hit the pocket, I will be sewing the button only through the outside shell, and not all the way through the lining. But knowing me, I'll screw it up the first time and realize what I'd done.post #4753 of 596412/18/12 at 9:37amQuote:
wasn't planning on shifting them to be too tight, just a bit of a closer fit. was hoping to just do it myself at home.. maybe i'll reconsider that.Quote:
oh, didn't even think about those. haha i guess i could also shift those to the left/right if they look too centered.post #4754 of 596412/18/12 at 12:38pmQuote:
Hopefully the quality will be good. It was listed as mint condition. I am hoping the fit will be good. My chest is a 35 and the smallest I could find for vintage was 34... I know the real p2p is going to be more than 17" but hopefully not by alot. Worse comes to worse I'll wear a sweater underneath. It would be nice if it fit snug without one though...
I'll post up some fit photos when I get it in the mail. Just shipped out today :Dpost #4755 of 596412/18/12 at 12:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by burgerkong
Wonderful, thanks again! The way the handwarmer pockets are positioned ensures the button will never come close to it, so I should be safe in that regards, but if it does hit the pocket, I will be sewing the button only through the outside shell, and not all the way through the lining. But knowing me, I'll screw it up the first time and realize what I'd done.
Did you end up finding any good stores in GTA for peacoats? I hit up the army store near kensington. They have nothing left in smaller sizes. They have fidelity 34 but I didn't reallly like how it was made. Feeling like the sterlings are better made.
- MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Current State of Americana
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 5 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 8 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 8 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 10 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015