or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE - Page 294

post #4396 of 5778
Appreciate the reply, Peacoat, I guess I'll leave it alone. After all, I'm purchasing from VT so it should be dry cleaned before.
post #4397 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyhungry View Post


Very nice....fistbump.gif
Half off as in half of the $580 list price?

i got it for 325

post #4398 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian B View Post

Appreciate the reply, Peacoat, I guess I'll leave it alone. After all, I'm purchasing from VT so it should be dry cleaned before.

I would not assume that the coat would be dry cleaned. I would explore your are for a cleaner who uses environmentally friendly techniques. Such a process would not have that typical odor that you (we all) dislike.
post #4399 of 5778

Actually, if you're purchasing from VT, your goods are dry cleaned by them already. Here's a quote from their site: "All items are dry cleaned and sanitized before sending."

post #4400 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by drilzzz View Post

Thanks for the help Nopike343. I have several coats and the p2p is different in every single one lol. I have a Levi’s Trucker jackets thats 19 p2p and it fits tight and then I have a vintage lumberjack jacket thats 21 across the pit and it fits nice for that jacket. I just don’t know how to go about finding the right size for the peacoat. 
I’ve read so many posts both on the fedora and this site and the information that I have gathered from your posts this far are greatly appreciated sir. I read your articles and also read the sizing but I am still a bit perplexed about it all. Im afraid to get a p2p 20” and it be too loose and then get a 19” which would be too tight.
The coat in question: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221144042122

My shoulder is 18” and my sleeve length is 24 to the wrist so it all seems good but then the 19” p2p puts me at wits. The shipping is from cananda and the seller says no refunds for ill fitting item ;( 

I somehow overlooked this post--sorry.

First of all, this isn't a WWII peacoat, as I am sure you noticed. As there is no pic of a tag, it is impossible to know what year it is. I would ask the seller for a picture of the tag, or failing that, a description of what is on the tag, line by line. You need to find out if the coat is, in fact, a vintage coat--pre 1980. Ebay sellers have no idea of what they are selling. I will be glad to help you with the dating of the coat so we will know the type of shell--Melton or Kersey.

I think the actual p2p will be about 19.25" instead of the 19" as stated by the seller. Normally, the only pea coats that are exactly on the numbers are the WWII coats. I think a p2p of 19.25" will be a good trim fit for you. It will fit like a true size 36. May have enough room for a thin sweater. I think a p2p of 20.25"--which would be a true size 38--will be a little large on you.

Let me know if you need more help. PC.
post #4401 of 5778

looking into buying a Schott classic 32 oz pea coat. i've read that you have to size down for that. anyone have experience with how much you have to size down? I've tried sending an email to the company to get some p2p measurements on the coats, and also how slim the slim fits are, but so far no response. 

post #4402 of 5778
I've read numerous pages of this thread and Peacoat's article, but wanted to clarify before I order the Sterlingwear Authentic.

I am 5'6", 130 pounds and measure 34" in the chest. From what I understand, Sterlingwear runs a bit bigger than their size chart suggests and slimmer people should generally go one size down, correct? So size 34 for me?
post #4403 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautikal View Post

I've read numerous pages of this thread and Peacoat's article, but wanted to clarify before I order the Sterlingwear Authentic.
I am 5'6", 130 pounds and measure 34" in the chest. From what I understand, Sterlingwear runs a bit bigger than their size chart suggests and slimmer people should generally go one size down, correct? So size 34 for me?

I'd go 32.  You seem like a slim build person.  

post #4404 of 5778

Hello,

could anybody point out the differences between Buzz Rickson and The Real McCoy's peacoats?

 

These seem to be consistently mentioned everywhere when talking about close high-quality reproductions of the 1910 US Navy issue.

 

In the past RMC had worse wool than BR, but now its 37 oz Melton (BR is 36 oz, on par).

 

Some people here http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php?/topic/88551-buzz-rickson-vs-real-mccoys-navy-pea-coat/page__st__60 argue RMC is cut a bit longer.

 

I'm looking for one, but I can't decide on the model or sizing. I'm 185 cm / 75 kg / 96 cm chest. I don't know whether to go for size 38 or 40?

post #4405 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerjames View Post

I'd go 32.  You seem like a slim build person.  

I agree. If you are 34" in the chest, then one size down would be a 32. But it would be best to see if Sterlingwear would give you a p2p on their Authentic.
post #4406 of 5778

First Post!  (lurk from time to time, so why not just jump on in, right?) :)

 

Just picked up the Banana Republic navy wool peacoat but I think the side hand warmer pockets are ruining it for me.  The sewn down flaps have a sort of wave/soft-v shape to them, tend to stick out a bit, and therefore create a less tailored look, in my opinion.

 

That said, the fit is perfect.  Nicely snug with a shirt and sweater, still well-fitted with just a shirt.  Usually Banana Republic regular jackets are too long in the arm for me.  Their 38 short sizes are always perfect for me, and this size small peacoat fits like a 38 short.

 

Here's what I measured with the coat laying flat (I know some are unorthodox--I may measure again and update):

 

24.5 outside sleeve (from shoudler seam to end)
19 inside sleeve (from armpit seam to end)
27.5 back length (from collar seam to end)
18.5 19 front armpit to front armpit (seam to seam)

 

If I'm going to return this in favor of a search for a late 40's to early 60s vintage military peacoat, am I therefore looking for a 36, most likely?  (18+18) - 2 = 36 (19+19) - 2 = 36

 

By the way, Peacoat, your Peacoat Dating article is amazing!  Thank you for being out there and sharing your knowledge and experience.


Edited by McQ7 - 11/13/12 at 3:30pm
post #4407 of 5778

Quick question: I am seeing some online measurements of a 38 short as 22" from shoulder seam to end of sleeve and regulars as 25".  Could it be that a "short" coat was made to a different length in the 40s and 50s than a 2012 "short" because of average height increasing over time?

post #4408 of 5778
McQ7: Thank you for the kind words, and welcome to the Style Forum's Peacoat Thread.

I take it that your measured chest size is 38"? If so then a 36 with a p2p of 19 to 19.50" ought to do it. I have found that when we get down to the smaller sizes--34 and 36, the p2p measurements are a bit off. As long as you go with what the p2p ought to be, or fairly close, you ought to get a good fit.

For example, I have 3 vintage size 34 pea coats. We would expect the p2p to be about 18.25" All of mine measure an even 19". I have measurements from other size 34 coats that also measure 19". Oddly enough, I have also seen one or two that measure 18.25". They will all fit a little differently. Just no way to tell unless we obtain the p2p.

When measuring the p2p, the coat needs to be spread flat so there is exactly the same amount of material in the front as there is in the back. If the seams are even on the sides, that is OK. But if the seams are not dead center on each side when we spread the coat on the flat surface, we don't measure from seam to seam when measuring the p2p. That is an awkward explanation, but it is the best I can do right now. The reason I mentioned it is because you noted in your post that you measured the p2p from seam to seam.

If you have further questions, let me know.
post #4409 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQ7 View Post

Quick question: I am seeing some online measurements of a 38 short as 22" from shoulder seam to end of sleeve and regulars as 25".  Could it be that a "short" coat was made to a different length in the 40s and 50s than a 2012 "short" because of average height increasing over time?

Perhaps. What I have found is the short size is 1" shorter in the sleeve and 2" shorter in the body. What you have found is a difference of 3" in the sleeve. That would surprise me. I have not, however, done extensive research in this area.
post #4410 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacoat View Post

McQ7: Thank you for the kind words, and welcome to the Style Forum's Peacoat Thread.
I take it that your measured chest size is 38"? If so then a 36 with a p2p of 19 to 19.50" ought to do it. I have found that when we get down to the smaller sizes--34 and 36, the p2p measurements are a bit off. As long as you go with what the p2p ought to be, or fairly close, you ought to get a good fit.
For example, I have 3 vintage size 34 pea coats. We would expect the p2p to be about 18.25" All of mine measure an even 19". I have measurements from other size 34 coats that also measure 19". Oddly enough, I have also seen one or two that measure 18.25". They will all fit a little differently. Just no way to tell unless we obtain the p2p.
When measuring the p2p, the coat needs to be spread flat so there is exactly the same amount of material in the front as there is in the back. If the seams are even on the sides, that is OK. But if the seams are not dead center on each side when we spread the coat on the flat surface, we don't measure from seam to seam when measuring the p2p. That is an awkward explanation, but it is the best I can do right now. The reason I mentioned it is because you noted in your post that you measured the p2p from seam to seam.
If you have further questions, let me know.

 

Thanks for the input!  My chest measures 39 and some change, but I've never been able to wear any jacket in a size 40.

Ah, yes, that makes sense about the p2p.  Depends on where the manufacturer places the seams, so one measures fabric edge to fabric edge.  When I do that with the Banana peacoat, it measures almost 21," so this makes me think I should probably look for a size 38, especially if I am getting a 10 button WWII version.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE