• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear under your dress shirts? T-shirts? Tanks?

MisterGee

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering what people wear under their dress shirts. I did wear a tank, but I've found that my dress shirts wore more quickly; I didn't like the look with thinner shirts because you could see the tank underneath; with blue shirts, there was too much of a risk for visibly wet underarms.

I have since gone to undershirts, but I haven't found the right one. I have a couple Calvin Klein that are great because they are very light and thin, and don't cause my dress shirt to fit differently. The thinness/lightness doesn't make me any warmer, as would a thicker shirt. BUT, they are discontinued!

Just looking for people's approach, and if anyone knows of a suitable replacement to my beloved, and discontinued, CK Pima undershirts.

Later,

Tony

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MisterGee
Hey guys,

Just wondering what people wear under their dress shirts. I did wear a tank, but I've found that my dress shirts wore more quickly; I didn't like the look with thinner shirts because you could see the tank underneath; with blue shirts, there was too much of a risk for visibly wet underarms.

I have since gone to undershirts, but I haven't found the right one. I have a couple Calvin Klein that are great because they are very light and thin, and don't cause my dress shirt to fit differently. The thinness/lightness doesn't make me any warmer, as would a thicker shirt. BUT, they are discontinued!

Just looking for people's approach, and if anyone knows of a suitable replacement to my beloved, and discontinued, CK Pima undershirts.

Later,

Tony

Commando. you paid a days work for that Kiton shirt and you're not going to feel it on your nips?

undershirts are like bras mate. you're missing out.

MisterGee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
Commando. you paid a days work for that Kiton shirt and you're not going to feel it on your nips?

undershirts are like bras mate. you're missing out.

Ha. Funny, man. I know, it'd be nice, but I gotta get some legs out of that Finamore or RLBL!

MisterGee

Reaction score
Plus, I should mention, I'm Italian, and we're no strangers to a sweaty pit -- underarm swass is not a good look when the jacket comes off, Kiton shirt, or not.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just wear Hanes t-shirts, crew or v-neck. I don't like the tank tops, mostly for all the reasons you mention. I've always thought they were comfortable, and the price can't be beat. I would rather spend good money on the shirts people will see.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MisterGee
Ha. Funny, man. I know, it'd be nice, but I gotta get some legs out of that Finamore or RLBL!

In the rare event I do wear undershirts, i make sure of 2 things

1) the v-neck is cut low enough so you don't see it
and
2) the arms fit around your arm well so they don't bunch under she shirt and make it look like a bicep diaper.

2xist shirts do the trick well for me.

MisterGee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
In the rare event I do wear undershirts, i make sure of 2 things

1) the v-neck is cut low enough so you don't see it
and
2) the arms fit around your arm well so they don't bunch under she shirt and make it look like a bicep diaper.

2xist shirts do the trick well for me.

Good points.

Robby517

Reaction score
I agree with FStyles, i always go commando, unless it's hot or you sweat more than the average man, a good deo roller instead of spray will prevent sweat pits.

a-rock

Reaction score
also go with gray or heather colored undershirts if you want them not to show under white or thinner dress shirts.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm surprised at how many people don't wear undershirts. I know the crewneck under an open collar shirt isn't popular here (and for good reason), but it surprises me that so many people don't wear any undershirt. How do you guys avoid getting D.O. stains on the pits?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing. You have to understand, the shirt IS the undershirt. The jacket goes on top. Mind blown?

Originally Posted by MrG
How do you guys avoid getting D.O. stains on the pits?

There's some ingredient which causes stains, I think its alumina. I get deodorants which don't have this ingredient.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
How do you guys avoid getting D.O. stains on the pits?
It's never been a problem for me, not even in summer.

MisterGee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I'm surprised at how many people don't wear undershirts. I know the crewneck under an open collar shirt isn't popular here (and for good reason), but it surprises me that so many people don't wear any undershirt. How do you guys avoid getting D.O. stains on the pits?
I don't know, maybe it's the same username, but I agree completely with MrG. When I used to wear tanks, my shirts would become noticeably soiled after some time. I also find it hard to believe that with a blue shirt those who don't wear any undershirt don't have the wet stain occasionally. I mean we all sweat, whether as a result of summer heat or stressful situations, no? Maybe it's just me; maybe I'm just a freakin' animal.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nothing at all. Especially in the summertime, the last thing I want is an extra layer of clothing on.

I use a great deo spray I get from France called Rexona. Never a problem, never staining on the shirts.

Also try a great unlined suit for summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads