or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Visit to Lobb St. James with my Monkstraps...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Visit to Lobb St. James with my Monkstraps... - Page 2

post #16 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra View Post
What is the difference between this Shop and large JL shoe company that everyone knows? What is the relatinship between two companies?

The John Lobb on St. James's Street is the original store. JL London later opened a branch in Paris. IIRC, the Paris branch produced bespoke in Paris, not in London. Hermes then bought the Paris branch along with the right to use the John Lobb name to produce and sell RTW shoes. I believe JL London still receives royalty for every pair of JL RTW being sold. JL Paris cannot offer bespoke service in London, nor can JL London produce or sell RTW under the purchase agreement.
post #17 of 90
Nice shoes! Thank you for sharing your adventures. I love threads like this.
post #18 of 90
those shoes are 13 years old? geez
post #19 of 90
How much will a new pair of lobbs cost you? 3000-4000 pounds?
post #20 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricota View Post
How much will a new pair of lobbs cost you? 3000-4000 pounds?

the article on their site says the 1st pair starts at 2300 pounds
post #21 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
those shoes are 13 years old? geez
They're so well made - like nothing I've got in the wardrobe! I've also had a pair of Lobbs I was lucky enough to come by last year for the princely sum of £30 or thereabouts. They were from the late 80s I think. Never worn: The leather was in immaculate condition - like they were brand new - still soft.
post #22 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricota View Post
How much will a new pair of lobbs cost you? 3000-4000 pounds?

Yup - £2300. The guy who the monks belonged to had ordered 3 pairs of shoes and a pair of riding boots. Would come to over £10,000 these days...
post #23 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshman View Post
Awesome pair! Puts all those GGs and Cleverleys often seen into shade.

I am inclined to disagree, I think John Blobb shoes are not very shapely
post #24 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855 View Post
I am inclined to disagree, I think John Blobb shoes are not very shapely

better than the Cleverley Trapezoid Toe
post #25 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855 View Post
I am inclined to disagree, I think John Blobb shoes are not very shapely

Lobb St. James is strictly bespoke. If they are blobby, blame it on peoples jacked up feet. Most JLP you see around here are rtw and a mans foot has to conform to the shoe.
post #26 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
I'd be inclined to pick JL London over JL Paris for bespoke just to spend time in that store.

I spent about a half hour in the store in 1998. It's a real atelier.
In very exclusive St James St, yet they are crafting shoes adjacent
to the sales area.
post #27 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
I'd be inclined to pick JL London over JL Paris for bespoke just to spend time in that store.

Cleverly had some interesting things to say about Lobb St.James.
post #28 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenStyle View Post
They're so well made - like nothing I've got in the wardrobe! I've also had a pair of Lobbs I was lucky enough to come by last year for the princely sum of £30 or thereabouts. They were from the late 80s I think. Never worn:







The leather was in immaculate condition - like they were brand new - still soft.

Spectacular shoes, but so sad that they've never been worn.
post #29 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Cleverly had some interesting things to say about Lobb St.James.

tell us more.
post #30 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
the article on their site says the 1st pair starts at 2300 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenStyle View Post
Yup - £2300. The guy who the monks belonged to had ordered 3 pairs of shoes and a pair of riding boots. Would come to over £10,000 these days...

I see. I somehow thought that it would be much higher. I seem to remember reading, that the starting price at Cleverley were around 2500 £, and the Lobb brand seems to be more well-known.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Visit to Lobb St. James with my Monkstraps...