Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I need an inexpensive chelsea boot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need an inexpensive chelsea boot - Page 2

post #16 of 60
I agree with the Charles Tyrwhitt recommendation but may I also suggest R.M. Williams boots from Australia. Yes, I am from Australia myself but I must confess to never having heard of them until I learnt about them from SF and AAAC (I am ashamed to say) where their construction has been compared favourably to the very finest. I mention them because the dollar conversion strongly favours the US buyer and I appreciate that cost is an issue for you. This might let you buy a much dressier boot than if you brought an English or Italian boot given that the pound/Euro conversion will work against you. You can even get them custom made for you at prices that are astonishingly good. To roughly convert Australian dollars (AUD) to USD you can just take off 25% from the AUD value though they have online conversion available.

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/
http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/

Of course the fact that they are from Australia makes them a bit exotic too, but as far as build quality goes for these hand made boots, it really is very good indeed.
post #17 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
You're quite welcome. I think I may be the only one who has a physical CT catalogue in these boards; it has the URL for that offer on the summer issue.
post #18 of 60
just something to consider; a few pairs of C&J boots, all buy it now i think

http://stores.ebay.com/Quality-not-Quantity
post #19 of 60
How does Tyrwhitts compate to AE in general?

I'm in the market for an oxford and I would be hard pressed to find an Oxford for $122.50.
post #20 of 60
Loake is similar to AE in terms of quality. I'm however, not sure if all Tyrwhitt shoes are from Loake.
post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame
Loake is similar to AE in terms of quality. I'm however, not sure if all Tyrwhitt shoes are from Loake.

Basic Loake, i.e., the $122.50's, is below AE in quality. They're corrected grain, for one.
post #22 of 60
What do you guys think of these things:

Alfred Sargent
post #23 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Basic Loake, i.e., the $122.50's, is below AE in quality. They're corrected grain, for one.


That would be $122.50 on sale at 50%, regular retail is $245 at Tyrwhitt's.
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lino
That would be $122.50 on sale at 50%, regular retail is $245 at Tyrwhitt's.

yeah, i know.
post #25 of 60
Well, since nobody commented on those Alfred Sargents I linked, I just went ahead and ordered the Tyrwhitt (Loake?) Chelsea boots for $148 shipped. I usually wear a size 11E, which is a little tight on my right foot. So, I ordered these in a US 10.5 G-fit. Is this even going to fit (I ordered the G-fit because US E-width shoes are stil a little tight on me, and I ordered the 10.5 because US size 11 shoes, which I usually wear, are usually a tad too long and these run a little long anyway).
post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Well, since nobody commented on those Alfred Sargents I linked, I just went ahead and ordered the Tyrwhitt (Loake?) Chelsea boots for $148 shipped. I usually wear a size 11E, which is a little tight on my right foot. So, I ordered these in a US 10.5 G-fit. Is this even going to fit (I ordered the G-fit because US E-width shoes are stil a little tight on me, and I ordered the 10.5 because US size 11 shoes, which I usually wear, are usually a tad too long and these run a little long anyway).
I'm very confused, but if I did the math right, I think you will be all right. Remember, if one is just slightly tight, these are basically wholecut (the front anyway) so they will respond well to stretching.
post #27 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
I'm very confused, but if I did the math right, I think you will be all right. Remember, if one is just slightly tight, these are basically wholecut (the front anyway) so they will respond well to stretching.

Basically, a US 11E is a little tight and a little long on me, so I ordered a UK 10G Loake Chelsea.
post #28 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Basically, a US 11E is a little tight and a little long on me, so I ordered a UK 10G Loake Chelsea.
I think you will be good.
post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
I think you will be good.

Thanks for the help and advice.
post #30 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Basic Loake, i.e., the $122.50's, is below AE in quality. They're corrected grain, for one.
Including the famous chelseas? I haven't seen that in any of the reviews.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I need an inexpensive chelsea boot