or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thom Browne-like suits (on a budget) in Manhattan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thom Browne-like suits (on a budget) in Manhattan

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
So I've been to several stores in Manhattan trying to find a black suit. I know Thom Browne isn't universally loved around here, but I like the style. Okay, so maybe not pants quite that short, but I love the narrow lapels and tighter fitting jackets (especially the taper in the waist and the tight arm holes).

I'm looking to spend under $500, and buy it in New York. Anybody know a place to go to find this type of suit? I've tried a bunch of black suits around town, but they are kind of blurring together because they seem so similar.

Oh, and I tried on a nice one at Reiss, but it was $900. And that's not in the cards right now.

Thanks for the input.

Brian
post #2 of 22
Wow, putting "Thom Browne" and "black suit" in the same post! Aren't you looking for some Vass shoes "budapester" at discount too?

!luc
post #3 of 22
How about a Sacque Suit?

Although they may be slightly over your budget.
post #4 of 22
which ralph laurens have the very slim fit? Is that Black or Blue label? Maybe the look you are after. Not sure about cost, have any made it into the overstocks/clearance stores yet?
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
which ralph laurens have the very slim fit? Is that Black or Blue label? Maybe the look you are after. Not sure about cost, have any made it into the overstocks/clearance stores yet?
black.

!luc
post #6 of 22
H&M will carry something similar in fit to Thom Browne pretty cheap but obviously the quality will not be like his or Ralph Lauren. Maybe Club Monaco also or Armani Exchange?
post #7 of 22
Okay, go to the Brooks Brothers boys department and....

Seriously, give sacque suit a try. I think it's just above your budget, but from what I've heard they are cut pretty well, and decently made. The owner of the business posts on here every once in a while. You might also want to try H&M or Zara.
post #8 of 22
I don't think Thom Browne makes black suits. Also, Sacque suits are cut slim and short but that's about the only resemblence they bear. They have peaked lapels, 2 buttons and dual vents. Thom Browne suits are notch lapel, 3 buttons (sometimes 2), and a single vent. IMO, a black suit is pretty much completely the opposite of Thom Browne style. Also, the superslim Ralph Lauren line (that had Gavin from Bush in the GQ photoshoot) is Blue Label. RLBL might be a good bet but a suit is still going to be around $1k, not in the $500 range unfortunately.
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
which ralph laurens have the very slim fit? Is that Black or Blue label?


Black label runs $1400 so it's not "affordable"

I'd also suggest H&M/Zara....for $250 you can get something slim with thinner lapels and get it tailored if you want the shorter jacket like TB has.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Thom Browne suits are notch lapel, 3 buttons (sometimes 2), and a single vent.

IMO, a black suit is pretty much completely the opposite of Thom Browne style.


all the Thom Browne suits/jackets I've seen are actually double vented, my own included. and I agree a black suit doesnt seem "Thom Browne". The closest I've seen to black is a dark grey with pinstripes.
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Also, the superslim Ralph Lauren line (that had Gavin from Bush in the GQ photoshoot) is Blue Label. RLBL might be a good bet but a suit is still going to be around $1k, not in the $500 range unfortunately.
Yeah those are the ones I was thinking of. I take it that they havent made it to the STPs n Yooxes of this world yet then?
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
all the Thom Browne suits/jackets I've seen are actually double vented, my own included. and I agree a black suit doesnt seem "Thom Browne". The closest I've seen to black is a dark grey with pinstripes.
Really? I stand corrected. I am almost certain that I have seen a Thom Browne suit single-vented, but now I'm not quite sure.
Quote:
Yeah those are the ones I was thinking of. I take it that they havent made it to the STPs n Yooxes of this world yet then?
Not that I've seen. If it does, I hope someone let's me know.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD

Also, the superslim Ralph Lauren line (that had Gavin from Bush in the GQ photoshoot) is Blue Label. RLBL might be a good bet but a suit is still going to be around $1k, not in the $500 range unfortunately.

That was black label. I've seen one on eBay, but they don't make very many of them, so they haven't seeped into the discounters, as far as I know.

Blue label is the main line Ralph Lauren Polo.
post #14 of 22
doesnt mean a single vent doesnt exist, just not IME
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123
That was black label. I've seen one on eBay, but they don't make very many of them, so they haven't seeped into the discounters, as far as I know.

Blue label is the main line Ralph Lauren Polo.

Wtf? okay everyone please disregard everything I said in this post. It seems I cant get any information right today. I remember now, youre totally right.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thom Browne-like suits (on a budget) in Manhattan