• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your opinions on argyle sweaters

coolwaterz

Reaction score
What do you all think of argyle sweaters? I used to like them but they've seem to become a hiphop style now and less of a preppy style. what should i wear under an argyle sweater? just a solid oxford? how do you maintain the preppy aspect rather than look like this:
dd9dfcb5-e003-3757-ddd1-f17e753159e8-life_fb_FallFashion08_Argyle.jpg

sifl

Reaction score
Some argyle from my personal p*rn collection
inlove.gif

432803049_fada2840eb.jpg

2150070786_850bfa1671.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To maintain preppy, make sure the length of the sweater is just below the beltline, and the shoulder seams should not hang over the shoulder half-way down the bicep. Try for a slimming fit.
I prefer 'V' necks for argyle. You can alternately wear a shirt w-tie, or a button-down shirt & no tie.
Cardigans are nice too, but again go for a slim effect. No over-sizing.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Thicker yarn in autumnal hues evokes an air of hand-knit or hand-framed bucolic gentry, rather than "whazup bro, itz wil-low". A cricket cap compliments the "surname graces Groton facades" personna. Disagree on trim, trendy.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like argyle but I'm picky about the color combos.

coolwaterz

Reaction score
while this is a nice argyle by lacoste, i just cant help but thinking it screams "Turtle" from Entourage and that is exactly the look that I want to avoid. I just picked up this argyle sweater on sale..what color shirt and/or tie combo would u guys recommend wearing underneath it

oroy38

Reaction score
Being a college student I'm a bit on a tighter budget than most of the guys on here, but Express actually has some pretty nice sweaters. Right now their Merino Wool sweaters are all solid colors, but later in the season they usually come out with the argyle in some pretty good patterns and they fit really well for most average to athletically built guys.

They usually have them on sale for a pretty good price too, so if you're looking for some decent sweaters for a price that won't break the bank, Express is a place you might want to check out. Hell, even JC Penney has some pretty decent sweaters around this time of the year.

Ryan Graber

Reaction score
for sweaters check out br sale rack, full price is kind of a rip off though.

pendragon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolwaterz

how do you maintain the preppy aspect rather than look like this:

dd9dfcb5-e003-3757-ddd1-f17e753159e8-life_fb_FallFashion08_Argyle.jpg

I think the simplest way is just to be white. If you want to go the whole hog, you can enroll in an ivy league school, wear hideous pastel polo shirts, have a big floppy hair cut, stuff like that.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this argyle sweater on sale..what color shirt and/or tie combo would u guys recommend wearing underneath it

I'd suggest a light blue shirt underneath. I wouldn't wear a tie, though.

I have a gray argyle sweater. Bought it at H&M. It has long sleeves even though it's a "medium". I'm currently wondering if I can shrink just the sleeves.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just picked up this argyle sweater on sale..what color shirt and/or tie combo would u guys recommend wearing underneath it

Light blue, blue/white striped, or even white.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
while this is a nice argyle by lacoste, i just cant help but thinking it screams "Turtle" from Entourage and that is exactly the look that I want to avoid.

That sweater is too large for him anyway. Typical sweater bullshit cuts - far too long in the torso and the arms. As soon as he starts walking that thing is gonna drop like a dress and look terrible.

I often wonder what type of design school most sweater designers attended (if any). Until you know exactly which brands fit you, it's a major chore finding one that actually fits. Sweaters end just below the belt. There's no room for negotiation.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about argyle sweaters. Argyle socks, on the other hand...

pdial

Reaction score
I like argyle sweaters but it depends on the color combination and cut. Personally its been difficult to find some that I like. There is a fine line between good looking one and a really ugly one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics