or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Your opinions on argyle sweaters
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your opinions on argyle sweaters - Page 2

post #16 of 43
It was fresh & cool in 2006 or 2007, but not any more. Argyle apparel is now commonly sold in Walmart. Next stop: The $1 store. Has anyone tried to stay ahead of the curve and ditch the argyle?
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
It was fresh & cool in 2006 or 2007, but not any more.
Argyle apparel is now commonly sold in Walmart.
Next stop: The $1 store.

Has anyone tried to stay ahead of the curve and ditch the argyle?

Pants are sold now at Walmart too. S'why I don't wear them shits.
post #18 of 43
Ditching all of my argyle sweaters this year. They are definitely on the way out
post #19 of 43
In and out... whatever. It's a classic pattern and will never look all that out of place. The fashion industry is based on the false premise that things look good in some years and look bad in others. It's something that should be ignored as much as possible. I have an argyle sweater. Brown with black and gray diamonds. I like it, and wish I had more in warmer fabrics for the time of year when cotton doesn't cut it. And I don't see that changing just becuase a few designers in New York City want to sell more sweaters.
post #20 of 43
First, what 25 Cent is wearing isn't a sweater at all; it's a polo/golf shirt. It would look better on Tony Soprano than a hip hop scumbag.

Next, argyle isn't bad, but I agree, it depends on the color combination and pattern. It also looks too collegiate (no offense intended) for those who aren't.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
In and out... whatever. It's a classic pattern and will never look all that out of place. The fashion industry is based on the false premise that things look good in some years and look bad in others. It's something that should be ignored as much as possible.
+1 I like the look of argyle, and the sweaters are a fun holiday getup. I wouldn't wear them every day, but relish in bringing one out occasionally. Recently found some Old Navy v-neck argyle sweaters for $15, that I thought were easily worth the price of admission. They had some other variations of the pattern too, here's a link to all of them: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/search...x=0&submit.y=0
post #22 of 43
I wear Argyle ... sweaters & socks (but not simultaneously). In winter months ... half the socks I wear are Argyle pattern.
post #23 of 43
Aren't these classic patterns? I don't understand why they should not be OK, they could sell at Wal Mart but that doesn't change anything.
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by forex View Post
Aren't these classic patterns? I don't understand why they should not be OK, they could sell at Wal Mart but that doesn't change anything.
Good God. I've said they are alright/okay ... and if I say it ... they are definitely, positively alright.

And to this point ... you fellows have posted pathetic examples of the Argyle ... be it sweater or socks. I'll come back later tonight with a post to knock ... if not your sweaters ... you socks off.
post #25 of 43
There was a lot of bullshit in this season's APC collection, but I liked the dark argyle sweater. Makes me think of a mobster.
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
Good God. I've said they are alright/okay ... and if I say that ... the are definitely, positively alright. And to this point ... you fellows have posted pathetic examples of the Argyle ... be it sweater or socks. I'll come back later tonight with a post to knock if not your sweaters ... you socks off.
I think forex's post isn't direct to you, rather to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
It was fresh & cool in 2006 or 2007, but not any more. Argyle apparel is now commonly sold in Walmart. Next stop: The $1 store. Has anyone tried to stay ahead of the curve and ditch the argyle?
post #27 of 43
I think argyle is pretty timeless. Certainly some can wear it better than others.

And this is Style Forum, not Fashion Forum, right? Should we care as much if Wal-Mart is selling it?
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Essex View Post
And this is Style Forum, not Fashion Forum, right? Should we care as much if Wal-Mart is selling it?

I stopped buying solids after I heard Wal-Mart was carrying them.
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
I think forex's post isn't direct to you, rather to this:
Mine isn't really dirrected at forex ... shall we say ... I'm making use of his post.

Hope you don't mind forex ... no ill will intended.
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
It was fresh & cool in 2006 or 2007, but not any more.
It was fresh and cool long before that ... by many decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
Argyle apparel is now commonly sold in Walmart.
Not the kind one finds at ... ohhhh ... Mettez in Paris ... or Knize in Vienna ... or Paul Stuart in New York.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Your opinions on argyle sweaters