• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-piece suit to business meeting?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
views on 3 piece? how is this viewed in society for business lunch attire for serious meeting

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
3 piece suit is seen as an abomination by society. You will be labeled a leper and avoided by all business associates.

Probably. Although I do own a 3-piece with lapeled vest...! But, since I'm jobless at the moment, I have nowhere to wear it.
frown.gif

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
views on 3 piece? how is this viewed in society for business lunch attire for serious meeting
Perfect timing. I was going to ask pretty much the same question. The only difference being that, having never set foot inside a real office, I simply want to look like someone who does so. Don't ask, it's a long story... N.B. This is not a thread hijack.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Used to be the standard. I think they look very dashing. Waistcoasts are due for a comeback and I think you should be at the vanguard.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have worn and will wear 3-piece suits to internal meetings and to customer visits. Don't see where dressing conservative could be negative, especially when working in a conservative branch.

sifl

Reaction score
Don't think it's appropriate in most professions. Especially if the meeting involves a client, I would consider a three-piece suit as too ostentatious.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sifl
Don't think it's appropriate in most professions. Especially if the meeting involves a client, I would consider a three-piece suit as too ostentatious.

I think it is the reverse. However, at work I would only recommend a charcoal 3-piece in a 14-oz fabric. Lighter fabrics (grey) are not appropriate for work at all.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to single you out socky but the amount of crap advice on here is galactic. I have never in my life encountered a client holding their advisor or salesman's being well dressed and well groomed against them. The opposite is often true, that poorly groomed, poorly dressed people are discriminated against but the idea that being well put together cuts against you is false.

sifl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
the idea that being well put together cuts against you is false.
This is not what I claim. Being well put together is great and respectful of the other meeting attendees. However, some clothing choices can be seen as ostentatious or "over the top", correct? I contend that in many professions these days, a three-piece suit would be seen as ostentatious and an attempt at showing off, rather than an attempt at being well groomed and respectful. Not quite as ostentatious as a monocle or gold cane though - a few notches below of that.

I don't like being singled out though - there are two of us.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When is a three-piece appropriate, if not in business?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen several being worn in business settings in winter.

sifl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
When is a three-piece appropriate, if not in business?

Mostly magazine spreads, professions that are not business related (e.g. academia), formal but not black-tie evenings, more fashion-forward or trendy business professions. The days three-piece suits were conservative business dress are very long gone. They are now more trendy than conservative.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly magazine spreads, professions that are not business related (e.g. academia), formal but not black-tie evenings, more fashion-forward or trendy business professions. The days three-piece suits were conservative business dress are very long gone. They are now more trendy than conservative.

That seems fair, although it must depend on the city. In my city (western part of the continent), it would probably be trendy. In London, I have to assume it's still conservative (at least when worn by someone with gray hair).

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke

Only if you work at Sterling Cooper and your name is Roger Sterling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads