or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › 3-piece suit to business meeting?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3-piece suit to business meeting? - Page 3

post #31 of 132
If you are confident enough to wear it, instead of having the suit wearing you, you will definitely stand out from the crowd with a dash of old-school flair.
post #32 of 132
I've been wanting to wear my 3 piece to the office but I keep chickening out, I would get endless shit for it. I only have one colleague close to my age who wears a 3 piece regularly and oddly enough he never draws a single comment, but he's a linebacker sized black man. He keeps telling me to stop being a pussy and just wear the vest, but I don't think I can rock it with quite the same level of confidence as he does. LOL
post #33 of 132
Nobody's ever made a fuss over what I wear, and I obviously dress like I care. That being said, everyone will laugh at you if it's not Tom Ford.
post #34 of 132
I like vests and view those who wear them for business to have good taste in clothing and to be taken more seriously...especially amongst lawyers

Thus I would encourage the OP to wear them at a business meeting



post #35 of 132
I have four. I would absolutely never wear them to work, because I know my industry. You have to know yours and gauge not only the appropriateness of the waistcoat, but whether it is appropriate for you to wear one. These are separate things. ~ H
post #36 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Nobody's ever made a fuss over what I wear, and I obviously dress like I care. That being said, everyone will laugh at you if it's not Tom Ford.

Unless you work in the clothing biz, or live in a major metropolitan city, no one knows who Tom Ford is, nor do they know about his label.
post #37 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent View Post
I've actually been debating having my very first 3-piece suit made for the winter. If for nothing else, for the extra warmth. I work in a very conservative branch, but I'm fairly sure I can pull it off without looking a) fashion forward, or b) ostentatious. However, I'm thinking I'll go for a very classic darkish grey, which will probably never look over the top.

One interesting thing, really, is how a tree-piece suit really limits one's choices of lining. I am of the impression (do correct me if I'm wrong) that the back of the waistcoat tends to be in the same material as the lining of the suit. This would make flashy colours one might otherwise consider, such as red, for example, utterly ridiculous, if one ever wishes to take the jacket off.

Thoughts on this?

You just have to get used to it and of course if you can't you can have the back a different colour if you wish. Interestingly I am seing more people going for less flashy linings these days but most of the suits I make a 3 piece now. Then again I nearly always wear them.
post #38 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by BareSolid View Post
I don't know how it is in the US, but in England it is not considered 'fashion forward' to wear a regular fitting three-piece suit. In fact, such things conjure up images of Winston Churchill and Albert Pierrepoint (though I believe Churchill wore black lounge).

You live in the ghost town of coventry though not really known for it's fashion.
post #39 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
Unless you work in the clothing biz, or live in a major metropolitan city, no one knows who Tom Ford is, nor do they know about his label.
Nice to see you, Jon.
post #40 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke View Post
views on 3 piece? how is this viewed in society for business lunch attire for serious meeting
Nothing wrong with it. Some wear it, some don't, regardless of age bracket.
post #41 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post
You live in the ghost town of coventry though not really known for it's fashion.

I understand by your post that New York is not known for its grammar.
post #42 of 132
Quote:
Lighter fabrics (grey) are not appropriate for work at all.

Does anyone else agree with this? Why would a mid gray suit not be appropriate?
post #43 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by BareSolid View Post
I don't know how it is in the US, but in England it is not considered 'fashion forward' to wear a regular fitting three-piece suit. In fact, such things conjure up images of Winston Churchill and Albert Pierrepoint (though I believe Churchill wore black lounge).

Ditto for the Antipodes. It's considered more formal in a slightly old fashioned sort of way.

I also think they are coming back into fashion.
post #44 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sator View Post
Ditto for the Antipodes. It's considered more formal in a slightly old fashioned sort of way. I also think they are coming back into fashion.
I agree. I live in Australia, I work for the Australian government, I have a couple of three-piece suits and I wear them to work. No-one has ever laughed at me, criticised me or shunned me for my choice of dress, and nor has my career suffered any obvious impediments as a consequence of wearing a waistcoat. As long as your three-piece suit fits well, I would say that you should wear it without hesitation.
post #45 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent View Post
One interesting thing, really, is how a tree-piece suit really limits one's choices of lining. I am of the impression (do correct me if I'm wrong) that the back of the waistcoat tends to be in the same material as the lining of the suit. This would make flashy colours one might otherwise consider, such as red, for example, utterly ridiculous, if one ever wishes to take the jacket off. Thoughts on this?
OK, consider yourself corrected.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › 3-piece suit to business meeting?