• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any secrets for decreasing length of common cold?

Ryan Graber

Reaction score
just curious, I've taken elderberry extract, and that seems to help a little.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I swear by Zicam. It really does seem to help. They pulled the spray, but I use the lozenges, which are still available.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Echinacea and Vitamin C appear to almost always work for me.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
flush nose with saline in the shower
take pseudoephedrine (i use the 12 hour kind, doesn't disrupt sleep or make me spacey)
drink lots of fluids, chicken soup actually does help (can't remember why but I read this)
echinacea
vitamin c (not tons)
some zinc
stay warm and get as much rest as possible

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Early treatment goes a long way. Keep the sinuses open and your chest clear, and the duration of symptoms is typically much shorter. At least in my experience.

At the first sign of symptoms, I start taking vitamin C and eat some very spicy food, to loosen up the congestion. Hot peppers, like those found in Chinese food, supposedly have therapeutic properties.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A strong Immune system will play the prominent role.
Excersize regularily. Eat lots of salads. Raw veggies give you 100% of their nutrients.
Get at least 20 minutes of sun exposure per day, and if you can't, take a Vitamin D suppliment.
Echinacea is only useful when the cold/flu symptoms begin.
Taking it when a cold/flu is already in progress will yeild little results.
Daily suppliments I take are a) Omega 3-6-9, b)Selenium w-Beta Carotine (boosts immune system)
c) Vitamin D suppliment. Also, if possible eat one orange per day. Processed orange juice is useless.
Freshly squeezed juice is only good if taken within 1 minute after squeezing.
Also, (and this may seem ridiculously academic but..) avoid contact with others who are sneezing, sniffling & slobbering. If you take public transit and someone coughs (etc) get away from them to minimise exposure.
Lastly, don't smoke. Just don't do it.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most important thing to avoid a cold - get plenty of sleep. Don't get sleep deprived, it'll lower your resistance.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I swear by Zicam. It really does seem to help. They pulled the spray, but I use the lozenges, which are still available.

+1

But I used the nasal swabs, think I may switch to the lozenges now

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Megadose Vitamin C and take a little zinc along with it.

killua

Reaction score
Extra rest
Keep really warm to the point of sweating
Lots of water
Take vitamin supplements

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Zink
-vitamin C
...most effective, raw garlic (..not tablets)

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great advice on sweating. When I get sick I wrap myself up in heavy blankets and a comforter and break that fever in one night.

Also, raw garlic is good too I hear. During the depression my grandmother would rub pressed garlic on her feet as a child and go to bed with socks on. Haven't really tried it myself, so take what you want from that.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tons of vitamins, c in particular, zinc, fruits and veggies, proteins, lots of liquids.

But yeah, if you lead a healthy lifestyle and build up your immune system, it goes a LONG way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads