• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unbuttoned button down shirt & hands in pockets?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's up with this look? I see quite a few photos of Italian men with their "button down" shirts not buttoned and hands in their suit jacket pockets. I don't even un-stitch my pockets.

Twotone

From the Sartorialist:

9279GC1718Web.jpg

MrBon

Reaction score
I don't like the look, its unfinished, its sloppy, just wear a shirt without buttons, or at least have the buttons removed.

Mr T

Reaction score
Bunch of slackers.

I do use my jacket pockets though for things other than my hands. That is what they are there for after all.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Meant to indicate nonchalance and show an indifference to their expensive and carefully coordinated clothing.

I can see why people object, but I find the conceit more appealing than the uncomfortable awkwardness you see from guys trying to baby their nice clothes. They look like they're being held hostage by their suits.

A few flaws, intentional or not, are better than creepy perfection, or failed attempts at perfection.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I don't think those unbuttoned collars ever look good in person. I've seen them a handful of times and they were more an annoyance than a statement. Much like someone having a giant loose white thread on the back of a dark jacket. You can't help but stare at it and offer to help.

Not a clue why you'd unsew the pockets on a suit jacket. Maybe some guys like looking like they have fat, poofy hips.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they put their hands in their pocket to indicate that their jackets are made to measure.

Personally, I don't bother to unsew RTW jackets. However, I do make use of MTM jacket pockets.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding how a sewn jacket pocket being unsewn in order to put ones hands inside of it shows that the jacket is MTM.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
Not a clue why you'd unsew the pockets on a suit jacket.
They are, in fact, not ornamental. I hear some people complain about them sagging out, but it's never happened to me.

As for the unbuttoned button-down,
facepalm.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
I don't think those unbuttoned collars ever look good in person. I've seen them a handful of times and they were more an annoyance than a statement. Much like someone having a giant loose white thread on the back of a dark jacket. You can't help but stare at it and offer to help.

Not a clue why you'd unsew the pockets on a suit jacket. Maybe some guys like looking like they have fat, poofy hips.

I unstitch mine. Clothing looks better worn in and well loved. Why should I want to go somewhere looking like I bought an outfit for the purpose?

As for the small details: I used to be anal about 'em, but now I'm not. Personally, I think it's a change for the better.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

I don't care for unbuttoned collars, but seriously, the pockets thing is just stupid. Use them.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To people who complain about putting hands in the jacket pocket, have you ever tried?
It's pretty comfy, and I find I feel very nonchalant and chilled doing it. I wouldn't do it with my dj or a "smart" suit, but with a more casual jacket I am a big fan, and I don't see what is objectionable about it.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just when I think this forum can't get any weirder, people start complaining about others actually...gasp...using their pockets.
facepalm.gif

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I'm having trouble understanding how a sewn jacket pocket being unsewn in order to put ones hands inside of it shows that the jacket is MTM.

Do you understand how making RTW cuffs functional by cutting out buttonholes may be an attempt to show that the jacket is MTM?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads