• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking nice-ish in summer heat

Brian SD

Reaction score
So when it gets to the warm weather time, what do you all wear? I really like teh Kris Van Assche look, but obviously I cant afford $300 for a white shirt.

I think it's hard to pull off a stylish look in the summer because I'm prone to wearing just t-shirts and jeans.

Input? Thoughts?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
So when it gets to the warm weather time, what do you all wear? I really like teh Kris Van Assche look, but obviously I cant afford $300 for a white shirt.

I think it's hard to pull off a stylish look in the summer because I'm prone to wearing just t-shirts and jeans.

Input? Thoughts?

I usually do the same. ANyway, in Arizona, your options are limited by two things:

a) Ridiculous heat when directly in the sun.
b) Ridiculous A/C power when inside.
As you can tell, I am with Fabienne on this one. Brrrr!
Light trousers, t-shirt and sometimes a jacket for when I am indoors
crazy.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I don't wear shorts, so it's still the same jeans I wear year round...the biggest difference is I'll wear more buttonfront shirts that are meant to be untucked and 1940s repro Avanti hawaiian shirts. For the most part, I dress the same all year, the exception being long sleeves and sweaters not worn in the summer (obviously)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When its 95 degrees and high humidity, clothes are usually the last thing on my mind!

If I'm working or just doing something not-too-fancy (hanging out, lounging around the house, running errands) I'll just wear shorts and a tee or polo.

However, I've got some linen pants and some really lightweight cotton pants that are pretty cool (temperature wise, and I suppose stylewise too).

It's also pretty easy to find lightweight cotton button-ups (either short or long sleeve) and linen shirts.

seachange1982

Reaction score
well having to spend my summer time in Taiwan..for those of you who hadn't been there..think miami-type heat and humidity... guys are pretty much limited to t shirt/buttom-downs and jeans/shorts too... I totally feel what skalogre was saying.

I think as every guy is left with limited options..what u can pull out of the limitation is the key(duh!)..great jeans and fine t shirts...that's what guys wear all the time anyway...

at times i felt it's harder to be girls during the summer time...think of all the different things they try to pull...

oh...1st post, btw..

surrender

Reaction score
The heat down here gets so oppresively bad during the summer that it's hard to wear anything but a t-shirt and jeans. If I'm feeling fancy I'll wear a buttondown with the sleeves rolled up.

People down here actually have problems dressing up for the winter, surprisingly enough. The "winter" down here lasts only 2 weeks-1 month, so nobody buys coats or jackets because their use is so limited.

seen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan

However, I've got some linen pants and some really lightweight cotton pants that are pretty cool (temperature wise, and I suppose stylewise too).

It's also pretty easy to find lightweight cotton button-ups (either short or long sleeve) and linen shirts.

Where'd you get the linen and cotton pants from?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
This is the time when things like watches, cuffs, etc become useful. It's usually the only way I can think of to add a little visual interest in the summer (besides interesting shoes), since like everyone else I'm pretty much limited to t-shirts, s/s button-ups, or very lightweight button-ups with the sleeves rolled back. Also, it's all about fit in the summer. Everything's going to look simple, so the fit has to be spot-on for me.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seen
Where'd you get the linen and cotton pants from?
Was thinking the same. VM?

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like khakis and keep t-shirts for exercise or yardwork, so for me it's linen pants in various colors with solid-color polo shirts (don't really like patterned polos) in more Euro-y cuts by the likes of Fred Perry/Comme for FP or French-made Lacostes for as long as they last, camp shirts, or with lighter-weight cotton shirts with sleeves rolled up to my elbow. I don't usually mix linen.

Either that, or jeans (I bought the lightweight Eduns I mentioned in another thread for this purpose) with linen shirts or the above types of shirts.

For weddings and such, a navy linen suit by Hugo Boss has served me well for a while. I'd also like to get another linen sportcoat of some kind, but the right one hasn't presented itself to me. I might make that my experiment with The_Foxx's tailor Atlanta Custom, as they're more or less local to me.

On my feet I'll often do desert boots (Tods), sockless bit loafers (Ferragamo/Gucci) or driving mocs (Gucci/Tods). As for stuff like watches, I rarely wear a watch in the summer because I hate watch tans.

gza

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised by how jeans are most people's no-brainer option for heat. Lightweight cotton and linen pants are generally more breathable than denim, especially the kind of 13+ oz denim preferred by most denimheads.

Another thing that should be mentioned are Topsiders, sans socks. Just don't plan on doing much walking in them, unless you're a masochist.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the linen pants and the cotton pants...

I'm going to get ****** kicked for saying this, but a few years back before I knew more about clothing, I found three pairs of Kenneth Cole pants on deep discount ($10-20) in my size - one lightweight tan cotton, one drawstring linen, and one really light cream cotton.

The quality may not be the highest, but I have had no problems yet. Also, they are cut slim (without being tight and ill-fitting) and fit very comfortably. No strange details (except for a cool lining on the inside of the waistband), just nice minimal pants.

I've also got a pair from Dolce & Gabbana that is nice, though not worth full retail.

Dill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Regarding the linen pants and the cotton pants...

I'm going to get ****** kicked for saying this, but a few years back before I knew more about clothing, I found three pairs of Kenneth Cole pants on deep discount ($10-20) in my size - one lightweight tan cotton, one drawstring linen, and one really light cream cotton.

The quality may not be the highest, but I have had no problems yet. Also, they are cut slim (without being tight and ill-fitting) and fit very comfortably. No strange details (except for a cool lining on the inside of the waistband), just nice minimal pants.

I've also got a pair from Dolce & Gabbana that is nice, though not worth full retail.

I have a pair from Dolce & Gabbana too, and they are pretty nice. They are, I believe, 86% cotton and 14% linen, but are very lightweight. I don't think they are worth the 300-400 dollars they retail for, but I got them for $50

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Summer heat is great because it forces you to do back to basics; nice tee or shirt, well-fitting pants/shorts and maybe some accessories.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics